I still dont understand

Options
aneajo
aneajo Posts: 287 Member
the eat back the exercise calorie thing. That just seems wrong to me. If you work it off, why would you want to eat it back? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Replies

• sherri31
    sherri31 Posts: 80
    Options
    i still dont get it but ive been doing it for 3 months and have lost 24lbs. So im going to keep doing it :)
  • mamareese
    mamareese Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Because MFP builds a calorie deficit into your calorie goals already. So if you exercise and burn some of that already set deficit than you are going below what is noted as a healthy calorie deficit limit ~ that being 1200 calories. Go too low and your body doesn't adjust well and you could potentially be doing more harm than good.
  • Kelblue1
    Kelblue1 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I am wondering that too. I guess to still stay in that healthy range per day.. which makes since. It kinda screws me up somtime cuz I forget it's added but I have decided to start putting my exercise in the end of the day after dinner so i know where I'm really at. and if I use some not biggy to me!
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    You don' have to eat back every calorie. YOu need to make sure your body is nourished. MFP has given you a calorie deficit to begin with. If you eat 1200 (give or take, 1200 is an estimate, the calorie police aren't going to show up if you eat 1159) calories and burn off 500 you are netting 700 calories. Your body is not designed to live off of 700 calories. Can you do it once in a while? yes. all the time? no!

Feed your body and trust the site. it does work.
  • wanderingpilgrim
    wanderingpilgrim Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat when I started MFP until I found this post. It explains things pretty well.
    I now eat back my exercise calories- though not all!

Hope it helps!

(http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo)
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    www.shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com
  • Shaysuki926
    Shaysuki926 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Ignore that! Don't eat anymore calories than the 1200 or whatever you are allowed at the beginning of the day. Thats what I was told. it does mess you up but just because you work out doesn't mean you should eat more. ;)
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    If you BURN those calories, you need to eat them back.
    My BMR is 1620.
    My daily calorie goal is 1390... set lower than what I need to basically stay alive.
    If I eat 1390 calories, then burn 500 working out, then I have only netted 890 calories, which is far too low.
    Whatever MFP says your daily calorie goal is, you should consume as close to that as you can. Burning calories by exercising enables you to eat more because you've burnt more...
    if that makes sense... lol
  • PrinnyPoo
    PrinnyPoo Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It makes perfect sense. You are given a calorie allowance to hit your weight loss. There is nothing to say "this many calories and this much exercise" - it only measures calories. SO - to meet your goals, you only need to meet your calorie limits. If you exercise, you allow yourself more calories!
  • starboardzor
    Options
    Ignore that! Don't eat anymore calories than the 1200 or whatever you are allowed at the beginning of the day. Thats what I was told. it does mess you up but just because you work out doesn't mean you should eat more. ;)

So it's okay that it "messes you up" ? That's an odd view point.
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    LOVE IT
    www.shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    As was mentioned above, MFP already builds in a deficit for you. So, you eat back your exercise calories to make sure your body is getting enough fuel. Click the links in my signature for a couple of more detailed explanations. Good luck!!
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options

So you are suggesting that people do something that "messes them up??" I couldn't disagree any more strongly with you. Eat the calories. Give your body the fuel it needs and you WILL see results.
  • RZO42488
    RZO42488 Posts: 64
    Options
    Eat them back to lose consistent weight (may take longer but healtheir in the long run). If you eat your recommended calorie intake and work out and dont eat back your calories burnt you may lose weight and notice fat loss initially but unless your extremely dedicated and work out HARD for 1-2 hours a day it will catch back up with you.

What I Do..........i structure my diet and trick my body so my metabolism is always switching (works for me). One day I'll eat 1100 calories and another day I'll eat 2000. Just depends on what your trying to lose/gain, body type, and work out agenda.
  • PoleBoy
    PoleBoy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    You exercise to increase your fitness, and to encourage your body to burn fat while keeping your glycogen levels high.

You could also exercise so you can "eat enough" to make you feel full while sticking to your deficit
  • JenBrown0210
    JenBrown0210 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I completely understand where you are coming from. It finally clicked for me when someone put it this way. Think of your body as a car. A car needs fuel. When the fuel is getting low you have to put more fuel in. Same thing with your body. You need to have at least 1200 NET calories a day for your body to function correctly. If you are only eating 1200 calories and you exercise using 300 calories you are now 900 NET calories and your fuel for your body is to low. Now a lot of people will say "your going to go into starvation mode". My opinion on this is you will only go into starvation mode if you continually eat way below the 1200 on a daily/monthly basis.

I hope that clears it up a bit. But this is what I do.

I eat my 1200 calories a day. When I work out I will usually have a protein shake and snack to get back my calories. I use Jillian Micheal's whey protein mix and make my own shake and I will have a greek yogurt. Just make sure when you eat back those exercise calories that they are healthy. Mix it up though. It took me a while to be able to eat back my calories. I had to though. Once i lost 20 pounds the weight loss pretty much stopped until I started eating MORE.

feel free to friend me. my diary is public if you would like to look at it. by no means am I perfect, but I am on my way to a healthier me!
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    Because theres more to exercising than just losing weight
  • aneajo
    aneajo Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. It seems like Im not losing and I have been working out like crazy lately, so I will try to eat back my cals and see how it goes.
  • PoleBoy
    PoleBoy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Over the last two months I've increased my intake from around gross 900 to 1800 + eating exercise. I've gone from yoyoing weight to increasing weight faster than I'm happy with....