help purchasing new sneakers!

Options
Hey guysss...hopefully y'all can help me out-- im looking to buy new sneakers for working out. i jog and walk on the treadmill, use the elliptial, do aerobics, and do circuit training. i suppose i would need a cross-trainer? i had gotten those stupid reebok easytones last year and i HATE them. I want something light-weight and comfortable, but that arent really ugly! haha

any tips, favorites, whatever input you have would be GREAT!!

Thanks!!

Replies

• thunt1990
    thunt1990 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I wear the nike lunar-glides and they come in really fun colors and are lightweight. Do you have a Roadrunner sports near you or a runners den? They can fit you for great shoes and they have alot of options.
  • smiley01x
    smiley01x Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    i just bought a pair of the k swiss tubes that Jillian Michaels sponsors. they are the best sneakers i have ever worn! they are light and breathable! feels like you are walking on air!
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    I really love my Vibram FiveFingers. The toe shoes! :)

I have oddly weak ankles and they are helping strengthen them. Plus they eliminated my shin splints!

They're kinda uggo, but so worth it, IMO. :)
  • blondie1238
    blondie1238 Posts: 182
    Options
    I looooove Asics and Pumas myself! I have a high in-step and they're really supportive if you've got that kind of foot!
  • mamareese
    mamareese Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I rotate 2 pair out depending on what I'm doing...my husband's obsession with shoes has been passed on to me!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE My Lunar Swifts for circuit/interval training, super light and great ankle support. I also LOVE LOVE LOVE my Reebok Zigs for my running days. They are definitely not as light as the Lunars but they work great for running.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    adidas bounce and nike airmax also i love asics gels
  • ekicinsk
    ekicinsk Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    You can get suggestions left and right, but unless your foot is exactly like that other person's shoes, they might not work for you. Go to a real shoe/running store! They'll look at your feet & how you walk and they'll figure out what kinds of shoes will work for your feet and your activities. Then they'll bring you a bunch and let you try them on and walk/run around in them and choose which are the most comfortable.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    i just bought a pair of the k swiss tubes that Jillian Michaels sponsors. they are the best sneakers i have ever worn! they are light and breathable! feels like you are walking on air!

yes yes yes. I have these too and theyre amazing. So comfortable and so cushioned.
    I can run much longer in these than i could in my old trainers
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I'm partial to New Balance and Brooks. If you really want comfortable I'd get fitted @ a running store. Everyone has different feet and gait type. A good running store will be able to figure out what you need. I have large and very flat feet. I use "motion control" type shoes. They are ugly but very comfortable. I was able to jog @ 440 lbs. b/c of the shoes.
  • humblemonkey
    humblemonkey Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    adidas bounce and nike airmax also i love asics gels

i was looking at those asics gel-reprisals... i was wondering how they were.

i was also looking at nike's lunar glides.

glad to know people have had good experience with both. ill have to go try them both on and walk around the store for a while. i hve knee issues and my left foot is flatter than my right due to this...(thank you orthopedist for telling me not to have it corrected when i injured it)....so i have to find shoes that really support my foot.
  • Kolohe71
    Kolohe71 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Best piece of advice you can get...
    You can get suggestions left and right, but unless your foot is exactly like that other person's shoes, they might not work for you. Go to a real shoe/running store! They'll look at your feet & how you walk and they'll figure out what kinds of shoes will work for your feet and your activities. Then they'll bring you a bunch and let you try them on and walk/run around in them and choose which are the most comfortable.
  • JenBrown0210
    JenBrown0210 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    After doing a ton of research, the hubby and I got Merrill Barefoot shoes. They are extremely light weight (6oz). They are meant to make it so you do not land on your heal when walking/running. They take a little bit to get used to and my legs hurt at first because you do walk differently, in my opinion they are worth it. There are ton of reviews about them. They are costly mine were 100.00 and the hubby's were 110.00. I have been wearing them around the house to break them in and I am going to go running later today for the first time in them.
  • humblemonkey
    humblemonkey Posts: 576 Member
    Options

this is true. however, i do like to hear a bunch of people's reactions to shoes--- which i did when i got my sauconies and i really enjoyed them but i cant find the ones i got anymore and i DIDNT do with my reeboks...i got them when they were the new thing. BAD idea for someone with knee problems.

if a lot of people are finding things good or bad about a certain sneakr or brand it helps narrow my search.
  • GameOn2011
    GameOn2011 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Asic Gels..went to a running store to see if there was something better....bought ANOTHER pair of Asic Gels.

I never throw them out after I am done running, I keep them for cross training. I have a pair at my desk at work and 3 more pairs in my closet at home...BUT ONLY ONE for running...the brand new ones don't ever get used for cross training until after their days of running end (200 or so miles.)
  • Heather0611
    Heather0611 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Best piece of advice you can get...

Agreed. I just went to ****'s Sporting Goods recently and the guy there fitted me. Look at my feet when I walked, and told me that I have a falling arch, which I never knew. I ended up getting a pair of Mizuno's with a high level of comfort and support and it has made a huge difference! Good luck finding the right shoe, it's always nice to get something new to keep you going :happy:
  • SoFancySoBlessed
    SoFancySoBlessed Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    :heart: I just got the curves tennis shoes from avon and they feel great. I have plantar faciitis in my right foot and it is difficult for me to wear flat shoes (believe it or not) and these shoes have cushioning air pockets in them that are the best!!!! check on avon.com.
  • SoFancySoBlessed
    SoFancySoBlessed Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    :heart: I just got the curves tennis shoes from avon and they feel great. I have plantar faciitis in my right foot and it is difficult for me to wear flat shoes (believe it or not) and these shoes have cushioning air pockets in them that are the best!!!! check on avon.com.

http://shop.avon.com/shop/product.aspx?src_page=product_list.aspx&level1_id=300&level2_id=584&pdept_id=481&dept_id=0&pf_id=39760