Fitted Running Shoes – worth the money?

Options
Okay, I’m trying to decide if I should fork out the $100 for shoes plus the $50 for inserts for a pair of running shoes. I wouldn’t call myself a runner, but I want to be. Over the weekend I ran a 5k (first time I ran in a month), and my shins are killing me. OKAY – the shoes I ran in are YEARS old. Typically, I don’t have any issues. When I run, I will run on pavement/streets in my neighborhood. If and when I run, I’ll run about two miles but hope to start doing three miles at least three times a week.

I went to get fitted for running shoes at lunch. I was told I had “neutral” feet. So, WTH? Can I just go buy a pair of running shoes from Academy and pay about $80 and call it a day?

I’ve got two friends on MFP…and I know… they will tell me to fork out the money. BUT, just wanted stranger’s opinion. 

Replies

• michelletyler38
    michelletyler38 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    EXTREMELY worth it to get fitted for shoes!
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I've not gone for them but I WILL go for a proper measurement before my next investment in a bicycle so properly fitted running shoes would be something I'd consider worth it, proper fitting for you means you're going to be comfortable using it and therefore should continue with use.
  • michelletyler38
    michelletyler38 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Okay, I’m trying to decide if I should fork out the $100 for shoes plus the $50 for inserts for a pair of running shoes. I wouldn’t call myself a runner, but I want to be. Over the weekend I ran a 5k (first time I ran in a month), and my shins are killing me. OKAY – the shoes I ran in are YEARS old. Typically, I don’t have any issues. When I run, I will run on pavement/streets in my neighborhood. If and when I run, I’ll run about two miles but hope to start doing three miles at least three times a week.

I went to get fitted for running shoes at lunch. I was told I had “neutral” feet. So, WTH? Can I just go buy a pair of running shoes from Academy and pay about $80 and call it a day?

I’ve got two friends on MFP…and I know… they will tell me to fork out the money. BUT, just wanted stranger’s opinion. 

I got fitted for shoes & bought them from the place & it was only $90. Just let them know your budget & they should work with you.
  • TashaP2011
    TashaP2011 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Very worth it!!!!!
  • missie21
    missie21 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo worth the money ...... good luck :wink:
  • eirhtug
    eirhtug Posts: 4
    Options
    Look at fivefinger shoes. They are suppose to be the best thing for your feet. The most natural fit.
  • reeldancer
    reeldancer Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    ante up. money well spent. but i am unsure why you need an insert as well.
  • Hippopotoart
    Options
    100% worth it!
  • cheermom11
    cheermom11 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Fork it over :tongue: You won't regret it.
  • tlynnweb
    tlynnweb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I'm going to play the opposite team here and tell you it's not worth it. I went two different times and was told two different things at the same exact store. I have run in Saucony's for awhile and have no pain what-so=ever! I went to get fitted b/c I wanted to make sure I was in the best shoe. They recommended Brooks to me which gave me extreme leg/back pain. I went on Amazon.com and bought the same Saucony's I've had for $50! I say if you really want to know what they say, go and just buy shoes on your own--they will rip you off!
  • Happy2rwe
    Happy2rwe Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you go to a running store they will fit you for free and you should be able to save some money. I have some fitted shoes and spent under a hundred bucks.
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I never went to get fitted until a few years back I decided to go to fleet feet. Turns out they fitted me in the same kinds of shoes that I was buying for myself. I say that since you don't have major pronation problems just find a shoe that is comfy, that is specific for running (ie asics, saucony, etc) make sure it fits your foot properly (not too much room in the toe box but not smooshing your toes either) then take them for a quick jot down the isle a few times and see how they feel. If they feel good then give them a shot.

Most places will let you take them back if you don't wear them outside so wear them around the house and run around the house to make sure they don't rub or anything before you decide to break them in outside.
  • StacLegg
    StacLegg Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    agree, 110% worth the money!!!! =)
  • croutson
    croutson Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I just started running again too. I used to run all the time when I was younger, but now I actually enjoy the feeling after a good run. I I did just put up about $100 for a new pair of running shoes. Money very well spent! They're perfect for my wide but small feet, they're light and super flexible. If you're serious about running, then I encourage you to do it! Running shoes are like any piece of equipment, they need to be taken care of and replaced so that you get the optimum performance or each run. Good luck!
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Went out and bought a pair of running shoes once and screwed my knee up for months after running with them once. And they were good Nikes too, but not right for me. Exchanged them for a pair of Asics which I just replaced after 17 years. (yeah a lot of years but not a lot of miles). This time to be safe I went to Runners Den in Phoenix and got fitted. They looked at the wear on my old shoes and watched me run and fit me into a nice pair of Brooks shoes which are working out very well. It's not worth a potential injury and having to run for 5 months in a knee brace to save yourself $20.
  • babalee
    babalee Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I would not get the inserts without a medical professional's opinion.

I love my local running store and have purchased many pairs of shoes from them. They "fitted" me many years ago. I found that I actually needed "less shoe" than they suggested...

If I were you, I would get fitted and make sure you are allowed to "test run" them at the store. If you like them and they feel great, buy them.

Your shins could be hurting for different reasons. Are you warming up properly? Do you need to stretch after running? (I don't recommend stretching before running).

Good running shoes are worth the money if they are the right shoe for you.
  • SassyStef
    SassyStef Posts: 413
    Options
    this is what I did because I didnt wanna fork it over either lol I went got fitted tried some on, ask question looked at socks and said ok thank you lol and they gave me a 15% off coupon for my next shop.
    So, after I did some online shopping for the shoes they recommended online to see if I could get them cheaper (which I didnt find them) I went back and bought them at the discounted price :)

Totally worth it you will not regret it!! It is ok to invest in you healthy habits because we always invest in the unhealthy ones :smile:
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I'm going to play the opposite team here and tell you it's not worth it. I went two different times and was told two different things at the same exact store. I have run in Saucony's for awhile and have no pain what-so=ever! I went to get fitted b/c I wanted to make sure I was in the best shoe. They recommended Brooks to me which gave me extreme leg/back pain. I went on Amazon.com and bought the same Saucony's I've had for $50! I say if you really want to know what they say, go and just buy shoes on your own--they will rip you off!

Saucony's are my favorite shoes! I did get a pair of mizuno's for trail running and they were like a dream but they are a little light on the arch support.
  • LoganScottsMom
    LoganScottsMom Posts: 112 Member
    Options

That's what I'm wondering. Since I wasn't told that I have this major arch or anything.... shouldn't regular shoes be okay? Seriously, the shoes I ran in are probably four years old. If I buy new shoes every 6 months like I should, wouldn't that be enough?
  • fumblerdog
    Options
    In my opinion, getting properly fitted for running shoes is one of the best things you can do for yourself. Even if you have a "neutral" stride, a reputable running store will be able to discuss your options with you and help you make the best decision - and if you tell them you have a particular price point in mind, they should be able to either help you stick to it or explain why the extra money is worth it in certain situations.

Also, your needs WILL change over time, so going back and getting re-evaluated every so often (especially if you are having new/different pain) is a good idea.