Best Running Shoes

Options
I don't run long distances but I have been told I'm wearing the wrong shoes for running. I wear Champion (Payless brand) Fit lite or something like that. I'm walking a lot more than I'm running, I'll run sprints, to get my heartrate up then drop back down to a fast pace walk.

Replies

• taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    The best running shoes are the ones that fit you the best, have a shape that is appropriate for your gait, and feel most comfortable. Go to a real running shoe store and have them examine how you run and help you find the best shoe for you. There's no single brand that is the best.
  • teri_cmc
    teri_cmc Posts: 21
    Options
    To get the right running shoes for you, go to a running store and get fitted by a professional. They will be able to tell you if you need neutral, stability, or motion control shoes - this depends on your stride and how much you pronate. After that, you can experiment with other shoes/brands in the same category and from cheaper stores.
  • kym38
    kym38 Posts: 48
    Options
    I agree - go to a running store. I have bad feet and do a lot of running, it makes a huge difference. I love Brooks Ghost 3!
  • KcFitCoach
    KcFitCoach Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    VERY subjective...best thing to do is go to a reputable running store and have them watch your gait (some places even do an impression to see how your foot carries your weight through your stride and some places use video/PC technology). Based on what they see they can recommend the right shoe.

i pronate on both feet, especially on my right foot, though. I run/workout/walk in Brooks Adrenaline GTS (Go 2 Series) - these have been "my shoes" for the past few years (buying new ones about every 6 months as I use them alot and all shoes break down with use). The platform on these shoes is good for my issues. I have tried other brands' stabilizing shoes and they have either given me shin splints or sore knees (have tried Saucony and Asics). It's REALLY individual.
  • paperbagprincess
    Options
    haha your going to get a number of ppl throwing different brands at you. But what feels right for me isn't necessarily the best for you. Go to a running shoe retail store where they'll have professionals measure ur feet (a lot of the times ppl are wearing the wrong size!) and they can see how you stand on ur feet as well as how u walk in them. This is all critical info. You could have high arches or no arch. You'll be paying more for the shoes, but it'll be worth it if you plan on doing a lot of walking/running. I did the same thing and I haven't had shoes this comfortable ever! I used to get blisters all the time.

Hope that helps :)
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I just bought the Nike Free Tr Fit this past weekend. At first I thought they were too flimsy to handle all my workouts. I've done the elliptical, walked, ran, Insanity, and jumped roped in them. They are the lightest shoes I have ever worn and seem to be the best I've ever had so far.
  • Tiana405
    Tiana405 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    definitely go to a running store! they see how you stand and walk and get the best shoe for you. it makes all the difference in the world!!! i started having knee and hip pain... figured i'd get some new shoes and start there, instead of going straight to the doctor, and VOILA! it worked! that's the best thing you can give to yourself when walking/jogging/running, etc! : )
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    To get the right running shoes for you, go to a running store and get fitted by a professional. They will be able to tell you if you need neutral, stability, or motion control shoes - this depends on your stride and how much you pronate. After that, you can experiment with other shoes/brands in the same category and from cheaper stores.

^^^^^^This.
  • kettlewitch
    kettlewitch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I have sketchers shape ups. Not sure they do what they claim but they are the most comfortable trainers ive ever had. Bought some running shoes with special soles that are apparently "caffeine for your feet" but they havent made it out of the box yet
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    The only thing matters is what feels best you your feet. Go to a running store and get fitted (be prepared to run outside in each shoe you are trying on). Their prices will be surprisingly reasonable. After that you can keep going back or check online for better prices.

Just remember, there is nothing more useless than shoe reviews in Runner's World. Unless the guy testing the shoes has my same feet, build, body & stride, what on earth does his opinion matter to me?
  • GameOn2011
    GameOn2011 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Or go to your local sporting goods store and try on different brands of RUNNING shoes from their running section. You will notice immediately what feels good/bad on your feet.

Walk around in them....you'll be amazed by how light they are and cushioned. And if they hurt in any way, move on!! All Nike's hurt my feet...and I knew as soon as I walked in them they were not for me!!!

Most places have a return policy too...so look into that as well...all sales my not be final if they ultimtely do not work for you...just make sure they are RUNNING shoes!!

11 years of running an counting! Love asics...
  • innocenceportrayed
    innocenceportrayed Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Wow. I didn't even know they had professionals to help me pick out running shoes. o.O Sounds silly to me, but I'll definitely have to look for a store near me. Thanks guys.