Replies

• CatseyeHardcast
    CatseyeHardcast Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Nice work Faith
  • lalilalu
    lalilalu Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I'm in Perth and have just started this week, but I'm struggling!! I'm doing it on the street, and I'm doing it while pushing my 1.5 year old in a pram, so it's pretty tough. I think I'm going to have to take 18 weeks not 9 and just build my way up more slowly. I haven't managed to complete week 1 yet, but I'm going to keep trying.....
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    HA HA. I just got back from doing WK2D2 again (yes I actually felt like going for a run) but for some reason the voice que dropped out and I was running when I should have been walking....no wonder it was bloody hard.

Also this was the first time I did it on the road and not a treadmil. Harder but alot more enjoyable. Anyone else find the road harder or is it just me?

Yes, running outside is more difficult.

When you're on the treadmill, you have a few differences (advantages):

-There is no "toe-off". As the treadmill is moving underneath you, you just lift your foot to keep going. Outdoors, you have to actually push off with your toes. You'll probably notice his in your calves the next day!

-The treadmill is freakishly smooth and flat. So you're not dealing with any changes in incline and your legs and ankles don't have to stabilize you each time you hit the ground as you are always landing on an even surface. That helps to keep your from injuries, but it's less work.

-The treadmill controls your pace. Lots of us try to go too fast outside!

-The treadmill shortens your stride, which is a much more efficient (and safer) way to run.

-The treadmill absorbs some of the shock for you. When you run outside, your body takes the full shock of landing on the ground.

You can set the treadmill on a 1%-1.5% incline to counteract some of the differences.

And I'm not knocking the treadmill at all--it's still a great workout! And it's helpful for new runners to protect from injury, especially heavier runners.
  • CatseyeHardcast
    Options
    I'm in Perth and have just started this week, but I'm struggling!! I'm doing it on the street, and I'm doing it while pushing my 1.5 year old in a pram, so it's pretty tough. I think I'm going to have to take 18 weeks not 9 and just build my way up more slowly. I haven't managed to complete week 1 yet, but I'm going to keep trying.....

Awesome work! I know how tough it is to exercise with kiddies. Who cares if it takes you a little longer and you need to repeat some weeks...by the end of it you will be surprised just how well you can run. Keep posting as we would love to see your progress (no matter how "slow" you think it is) at the end of the day it is better than the alternative.[
  • faithikins
    faithikins Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Going to tackle w3d2 tomorrow then hopefully day3 on wed. I need to get my butt back into gear big time. :frown:
  • CatseyeHardcast
    Options
    Just did WK3D1 and big difference from week 2. Did it on the treadmil but with 2% incline. Will probably do day 2 outside....looking forward to it.
  • faithikins
    Options
    eeep incline scares me. W3D2 done today. :smile:
  • faithikins
    Options
    W3D3 done! :smokin: I must say Week 4 is intimidating. I only just made it through day 3.
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I did week 6 day 2 tonight. I realised from now on it is just the runs, no breaks! Yikes. I prefer running intervals, but ı do want to complete the program, so will stick with it.
  • CatseyeHardcast
    Options
    W4D1 done yesterday. Whoa! But again the time seems to be going quicker than previous weeks.
  • CatseyeHardcast
    Options
    Sadly I have to pull the plug on C25K. The bones in my feet (apparently I need an operation but have been avoiding it), can't handle running for any length of time. I thought I would be able to get through it but the foot pain for the days after is too much.

Hope you all see it to the end and continue to enjoy your running.
  • antigeist
    antigeist Posts: 14
    Options
    Just completed W5D3! I know everyone says it, but I swear, if I can do it - so can everyone else! It's such a fantastic program. 3 weeks left!

CaseyeHardcast - sorry to hear about your foot :( hopefully once you get the operation you can start up again.
  • rachmaree
    Options
    I will start week 7 this week... wish me luck :)
  • CatseyeHardcast
    Options
    Fantastic....almost there....run run run
  • karen1612
    karen1612 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I started Sunday and I'm on my 2 day today. Seemed harder today but it's only 30 minutes so I'm coping!
  • rachmaree
    Options
    I kinda gave up on this when I got to week 7, then for some reason I got inspired this afternoon on the way to the gym and ran 31 minutes non stop!! Yay!!
  • CatseyeHardcast
    Options
    I really wanted to get back into this but my feet just can't handle it. I got on week 5 after quite a while off and found it quite easy, however my feet are not happy with me today.

I might just deal with the pain and see if it gets better.