Should I buy another pair of weights?

Options
So I'm currently doing the 30DS. I have a pair of 5 lb weights, but for some of the strength exercises I just can't do it with the 5 lbs (any of the strength moves where i need to lift the weight to eye level or higher).

Instead I've just been forcing myself to do as many as i can with the 5 lb weights and then going through the motions with no weight in my hand. I'm considering buying a pair of 3 lb weights and doing the exercise with those.

Should I buy the 3 lb weights and do all the exercises with those or should I stick to doing some of the exercises with the 5 lb weights?

Replies

• CallMeMamaBoo
    Options
    I would start with the 3s and when those weights start to get easier, move on to the 5s.

I personally started with 30 days of 3s, went to 30 days of 5s and can now do it with 8s.
  • ashleighk2010
    Options
    I use 3lb weights for the 30DS and they're perfect for me right now!

I would get them.

I think the general rule is you should be able to get through the whole strength exercise but feel like you couldn't do much more. If you can do the whole move and all the reps with good form using 3lb weights, an you still feel like you can do more I would switch up to the 5lb weights... but if you're struggling with form or reps, I'd stick with the 3s for a while!

Good luck!! Do whatever feels right for your body. =]
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I used 3lbs for 30DS :)
  • cmowat13
    cmowat13 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I started with 6 pound weights and they were too heavy for some, like you said (Especially the side lunges where you raise them to eye level-ugh). So I went down to 4 pound weights for everything except the chest flies (Is that what they're called? I only finished 30 day shred last week and already can't remember the names of the moves).
  • CCSunlight
    CCSunlight Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    thanks guys! i'm off to target to buy some 3lbs
  • kasmir8199
    kasmir8199 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I use 3lb weights for the 30DS and they're perfect for me right now!

I would get them.

I think the general rule is you should be able to get through the whole strength exercise but feel like you couldn't do much more. If you can do the whole move and all the reps with good form using 3lb weights, an you still feel like you can do more I would switch up to the 5lb weights... but if you're struggling with form or reps, I'd stick with the 3s for a while!

Good luck!! Do whatever feels right for your body. =]

Agreed!

I've tried with 2s, 3s and with 5s. I can get through it with 2s and 3s without reaching failure, so I have to do it in 5s to feel like I'm pushing myself to the extreme. It's tough, but I can get through about 90% of them. Your range of motion will improve, but I would say try the 3s first. You can even try doing a set of some moves in the store before purchasing them! :)