Who works out on an empty stomach?

Options
and if you do, do you feel you have greater weight loss success? I was thinking about doing this in the mornings but sometimes I feel like I need something in my stomach before workingout. Thoughts please...

Replies

• 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    I do, several mornings a week. Up by 5:20, at the gym by 6:15 with only a cup of coffee in between. Personally it's just what I find works for me. With workouts later in the day I find I feel more "weighed down", not as much energy, etc. Maybe experiment and see what works for you best.
  • AmberLiscous
    AmberLiscous Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    i workout in the evenings and i don't eat dinner before my workouts because if i do i feel sick to my stomach...but i do eat a snack at least an hour before my workout. (usually some kind of protein)...so far i have lost 23 pounds...but i don't think that this is the reason why :smile:
  • SusieB01
    SusieB01 Posts: 89
    Options
    The people in the gym where I used to work out recommended that you have something in my stomach to keep from having a low sugar reaction. Until then I had thought it better to work out on an empty stomach, too.
  • katrina603
    Options
    i work out first thing in the morning, no time to eat til after, i just like to get it over with...
  • katrina603
    Options
    i work out first thing in the morning, no time to eat til after, i just like to get it over with...
  • casey1974
    casey1974 Posts: 18
    Options
    I wondered the same thing myself. I am a later eater and usually wait til I get to work at 8 to eat even though I get up at 6. I am not sure of the scientific pros and cons but getting the exercise in is better than not doing it at all so, I would think you have to do what's comfortable. Good luck!
  • Sherry1979
    Sherry1979 Posts: 457
    Options
    If it's going to be a tough workout I can't eat anything beforehand or my side will hurt so bad I can't finish my workout. But like today I just did a moderate pace on the stationary bike so I was able to do it after breakfast since it wasn't anything too intense. I think we just all have to find what works best for each of us and this is a great place to get ideas!
  • ladybug91254
    ladybug91254 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I work out early before work, up at 5:00 at the gym by 5:45 or 6:00 so I don't take the time to eat. I eat at my desk later. I don't think it make me lose any more...just what works for my schedule..I can't imagine eating at 5:30!
  • rockabillydarlin
    rockabillydarlin Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I physically can't. If I exercise in the morning without something in my stomach, I feel nauseas and light-headed. I usually eat something small like cereal or a Greek yogurt if I go in the morning; if I go in the afternoon, I usually have a granola bar or a piece of fruit 30 minutes to an hour before. But everyone is different! You should do what works best for you.
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I work out first thing in the morning, and find that I need at least a little something in my stomach, even if it's just a banana. The first and only time I ever went to the gym on an empty stomach, I ended up fainting on the stairmaster. I always have a giant protein-laden breakfast when I get home though!
  • Sigra
    Sigra Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I do, but depends what type of work out i'm doing.

I love Cardio, so any time I do Cardio, like Elliptical, Biking, Yoga, Pilates I eat on an empty stomach otherwise I feel weird.
    BUT If I'm doing strength workouts I have to eat something extremely small like a banana. If I eat anything more than that I will get sick.

^_^ It just depends on your body, some people get super dizzy and can faint if they don't have food before exercise.
  • carmendownes01
    Options
    I do. May drink water or 8 oz of V8 splash, but that's it. Always workout first thing in the am on an empty stomach.
  • W0zzie
    W0zzie Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    @amberlovesjames - pretty much same here. I am "not" a morning person - can hardly face life in the morning let alone working out LOL I don't have a meal before workout but almost always have some sort of snack - often a serve of nuts. Seems to be working for me so far.
  • gooberr4
    gooberr4 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I tried to workout on an empty stomach for a week. felt like ****. I try to eat something small like oatmeal or a piece of bread w/ some peanut butter on it or a nature valley bar. I feel like it gives me a little boost during my cardio.
  • dclouden
    dclouden Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I prefer to work out on an empty stomach. When I eat shortly before, it makes me ill. However, I just recently had a nutritionist tell me that you should eat something within 30 minutes of waking up. So I've been trying to make sure that I at least have some carbs for energy, either a banana, or a mini bagel with peanut butter. I find that it doesn't bother my workout at all.
  • dclouden
    dclouden Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I prefer to work out on an empty stomach. When I eat shortly before, it makes me ill. However, I just recently had a nutritionist tell me that you should eat something within 30 minutes of waking up. So I've been trying to make sure that I at least have some carbs for energy, either a banana, or a mini bagel with peanut butter. I find that it doesn't bother my workout at all.
  • Sreith
    Sreith Posts: 3
    Options
    I run on an empty stomach, not necessarily by choice or because I burn more. If I eat first, I get cramps. I found I can drink something (smoothie or chocolate milk) but no food. I don't think it is healthy, but it is what I have to do. I do sprint triathlons and runs without eating first. Thank goodness they are early morning events.
  • cat3nv
    cat3nv Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    If I am doing situps or crunches I can not have any thing in my stomach, but if I am doing anything else I need to eat or my blood sugar will get wacky. But I can not work out right after eating.
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    For my morning workouts I don't eat before. I do drink some water. I do feel like I get a better burn and results with my morning workouts. Although I think any movement during the day is fantastic and contributes to your success.
  • vaughny
    vaughny Posts: 145
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your responses!