Thoughts on vegetarianism?

Options
I've done a lot of reading up on vegetarianism and have considered doing it, but am wishy-washy on the details and the true benefits of going vegetarian. I would consider vegan, but I love milk too much to give that up, so I think the farthest I could go is vegetarian. I like meats but hardly crave them, and the main meats I do eat are poultry (chicken and turkey). I also enjoy fish and know that fish are super healthy for me, so I hesitate to restrict myself to not having any meats. Diet is hard enough to restrict sugars and "empty carbs," so would it be too much for me to then restrict myself of meats? I just hear a lot of benefits of vegetarianism and know that it might help me on my overall diet as well if I attempt to practice the will power to cut out meat, but I've also heard that there aren't really any weight loss/health benefits of vegetarianism- it's mainly just a personal life choice for an individual. I would mainly be doing it to loose weight, become a healthier/cleaner eater and get more energy.

So MFP-ers... what do you think? Does anyone know the science behind it all and/or the pros/cons of attempting to go vegetarian? I try to work out at least 5 times a week, so would it be a bad idea to take out this protein staple??

Thanks in advance for your input!

Replies

• superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    You can get you protein in other ways,nuts and such. I call myself a flexitarian just for the sake of having a label. I go through phases where I can not even think about putting meat in my mouth. Other times I eat it like no big thing. I liver has trouble with too much protein so I tryu to keep it low and listen to my body. I went 2 years without eating meat and I gained weight. Come to think of it,that is how I got fat in the first place! Too many c arbs and too much fruit can be a bad thing. I dont know if I helped you but I hope I did!
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    Well there are different types of vegetarianism. One is where you just cut out the red meat, which I did for about 7 or 8 years. I still at chicken and fish. Right now that is what I do except once and a while I eat a lamb chop. lol Nutritionally it is great, IF you educate yourself. on how to do it properly. I got to where I only at meat 2 times a week before.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Why label yourself?

I eat veggies and fruits and nuts and beans and grains... I also eat meat and fish. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy a good vegetarian/vegan meal, but I'm not limiting myself either.

As my dad would say "Why 'or'? What's wrong with 'and'?"

*note - For those with philosophical reasons, this reasoning is moot, of course.

*note the second - If you do choose to go lacto-ovo or pescatarian (milk/eggs or fish allowed), watch your micronutrients carefully. Homo sapiens are born as omnivores.
  • i_Dance
    i_Dance Posts: 30
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for about a month, after the 2nd week you really don't even crave it.
    I WISH i could go vegan, but I am too much of a egg/milk/cheese person. I live by protein shakes and eggwhites. I talked to my doctor before hand just to ake sure I was ok to do it. She said vegetarianism is completely fine aslong as you take a multivitamin. I get my protein from....let's just say I eat ALOT of eggwhites.
    Kapeesh?
    Vegetarianism is really easy. Just don't be a "junkfoodatarian" by thinking just becaus it doesn't have meat.
  • moanamcara9
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian and do it strickly because I feel better not eating meat. I do occasionally eat fish which does not seem to cause the same digestive issues as other meats. I also eat cheese, yougart, and on occasion eggs. I get my protein mainly from beans including soy 'meats'. Honeslty I never ate a lot of meat to begin with so it wasn't a huge step for me. I also think that if for some reason I was craving a juicy hamburger I would have one...that just never happens though.

I say go for it; give it a try and see what you think!
  • mama2leilani
    Options
    I say, go for it! My entire family (my dh and 3 kids, and I) went vegan-ish about 2 years ago. We don't eat meat or dairy products, but we still consume fish a couple times per week. We ditched most all animal products for health and personal choice reasons. I haven't looked back since. Since joining MFP a week or so ago I am realizing I actually eat a lot more protein than I thought I was eating. I wouldn't worry too much about protein, there are sooo many non meat options (and I am not even including all the fake "meat" products) that I am sure you'd be fine. It is easier than ever to switch to a veggie lifestyle, there are TONS of cookbooks, micro meals, products, nutrition advice, etc out there, you will feel pretty supported.

Cutting out dairy takes a little getting used to, especially if you are a cheese addict :tongue: since there are few replacements for the variety of cheese. Once you've cut it out though, it is hard to imagine consuming it again. There is a product called Daiya cheese, that is soy free, dairy free, gluten free... it is by far the best substitute for shredded cheese, it even melts! Almond milk is my personal favorite non dairy milk, and hemp milk for baking/cooking. Again, the flavors are slightly different, but I love almond mild now.

I am finding it is way easier to watch my calories now as a vegan, than it was before. I have to make deliberate choices for my health, instead of relying on prepackaged processed food (although there is plenty of that to eat too). I have never felt better, I rarely get sick, my energy levels are through the roof, I don't feel havy or bloated after meals, i don't get indigestion... the list goes on.

I am an all or nothing kind of person, so when we cut out meat, I also cut out caffine, eggs, and dairy, on the same day. That is pretty drastic for most people. If you are toying with the idea, I would try to start with one or two vegetarian meals per day or a few dinners per week to see how you start to feel. As you find new recipes, you'll feel more comfortable.

Hope any of this helps!!!:happy:
  • fantomette
    fantomette Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I would consider vegetarianism based of personal beliefs, not necessarily being healthier.
    I cry almost everytime I see a truck full of pigs going to the slaughterhouse. So I tried.
    The thing is, I can go vegetarian on summer and I realized I was mostly vegetarian when good fruits and veggies were available here.
    In november when only onions potatoes and things like that are growing here, or worst, when SNOW is everywhere?
    I needed roast meet with my onions and potatoes.

So now I just decided to buy things "closer to home", and if I can talk to the farmers that's even better. That's what I think is healthy for me and suits me well.
    I eat organic meats that are coming from a specific producer. And I try cooking "without meat" more oftern. Fajitas are very good with beans they don't need meat. Soups don't need chicken or beef broth or at least, if I make a chicken, I keep everything, do my own chicken broth and all.
    I think you have to decide based on your beliefs. Some are vegans, others are pescetarian (I could never, I don't like fish), other are eating organics, other are eating local.
    I tend to eat local, for health, planet (using less fuel) and wallet.
    ...but geeez. We still don't grow oranges in Canada. LOL