Who has lost but SO SLOWLY?

Options
I was wondering who has lost weight, but it took forever, am I the only one that it seems to be taking like an eternity?
It took me a MONTH to lose 3 lbs.... and I have stayed around 1200 give or take a 100 for the whole month (good huh?)
I bike 30 min a day, and have started upper body weights...
thanks
Natalie

Replies

• Tiana405
    Tiana405 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    sounds like you need to eat back your calories, b/c your body is going in to starvation mode! : )
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    I started in October 2010 and have lost just 12 lbs. BUT....I haven't always been very good (Understatement). :embarassed:

But I'm still here and will plug along as long as it takes :smile:
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    Add back more calories and add more weights to your routine. Muscles burn more calories than fat - they will burn calories just sitting there! I used to be nervous in the weight section, but as soon as you find a routine that you enjoy, its hard to stop! :)
  • JMJohnson1005
    JMJohnson1005 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Maybe up your calories??
  • grabbit97
    grabbit97 Posts: 445
    Options
    You mean I am not losing because I am not eating enough calories? I thought that the 1200 is what I should be doing... so I am sticking to somewhere around that amount...
    Natalie
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    My average has been about 3 lbs a month, but this was intentional. I have MFP set to lose 1/2 lb a week because, I will admit it, I love food and don't want go lower than a daily deficit of 250 cals. I would recommend UPPING your calories about 100 to 150 a day and making sure you eat most of your exercise calories. You will probably lose faster because your body needs to be fed in order to lose weight. There are many threads that explain why this is. For me it is a no brainer, if I can eat more and still lose weight, I am all about it!
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    **WAVES**.. Over here!.. I have lost 65 lbs so far but it took me 2 and half years of loosing 15-20 lbs then months of nothing... then loosing.. then nothing,, do you see a pattern here??:frown:
    I still have about 60 more to loose .. It's coming off but at a snails pace. Talk about frustrating.. I have some health issues I am working through..so I am doing the best I can, sticking with it and trying to be patient while my health returns.. I know I will reach my goal weight ..eventually.:flowerforyou:
  • caelia2000
    Options
    I am right there with you! I am into my 7th week and am staying at 8 pounds lost. I have been exercising every day and trying to eat all of my calories (I don't want starvation mode) but keep at it....it is super frustrating I know. I'm told that because I've started building muscle so quickly also that soon the muscle will burn my fat faster.
    I am starting to work out longer each day though. I was at about 30-60 minutes, and I am upping it to 90 minutes. I feel stronger but want to see it on the scale!!!!
  • bootoou
    bootoou Posts: 22
    Options
    I am a slow looser too, since Jan I am down 14.5lbs. :( but I will take it I did notice when I didn't eat enough calories I didn't drop. I see a number on the scale and then the next day it goes up then 2 weeks later it is there again and it drops then.. make sure they are good calories and not empty ones... good luck and slow and steady wins the race or at least finishes happy...
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    Yup, me. Weight loss is very slow with me. I think it's because I seem to build muscle very fast.
  • isabelk
    isabelk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I don't exercise and I lose a pound or so a week. So for example in March the scale didn't seem to budge but then I had a 3.8lb 'loss'. When you're losing so little, you might not see scale results right away. I stay close to 1200 and if I go over, it's not the end of the world. I never go under by more than 50 calories. Just keep going!
  • grabbit97
    Options
    That is interessting about upping my calories and eating all my exercise calories.... I will try that, anything to make this scale move a bit more... I want to lose about 17 more lbs, that is my mini goal for this year... I really need to lose about 40 all total but will do this in baby steps...
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I've lost relatively slowly as well. It's been a year and a half now for me to lose about 60 pounds. I have another 35 to go and think it may well take me another year to get there. So you are definitely not alone.

Also, I notice from your ticker that your overall goal is 23 pounds. So I'm guessing you are probably not that overweight. It definitely goes slower as you get closer to your goal. The last 10 pounds is always the toughest from what I have read, mostly because it's hard to have a large calorie deficit at that point.

If you don't do any strength training I'd definitely recommend adding some to your routine. As we age our bodies naturally tend to lose muscle mass. The only way to combat it is to do weight-bearing and strength training type exercises or activities. Muscle burns more calories than fat, so as you add muscle your body will be using more fuel on a daily basis.

Congrats on your progress so far and best wishes on persevering through this mental challenge.
  • grabbit97
    Options
    Actually, I have to lose about 40 lbs, but I am doing it in small increments, 20 at a time... it will take me at least a year to lose the 20 lbs I am guessing.... not happy about it, but nothing I can do except stick to it.
    Thanks for the input...
    Natalie
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I agree if you ate more you could lose more. Slow weight loss is great though, better chance of keeping it off.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    ME! I've been on here for 10 months and have lost about 40 pounds (I hope, I haven't weighed in a few weeks). Looking at that right now, it seems right in line with my goals... but it has been a slow process to get there with many weeks of losing nothing or a few tenths of a pound!

I did up my calories a month or two ago and that seemed to help. Before the increase, I was eating about 1300-1400 calories (to lose 1 pound a week... but I wasn't losing that much). After the increase, I started eating my BMR (1550 calories) and started losing about a pound a week.
  • midwesthiker
    Options
    Me, me, me. :)

My doctor says I am one of the "lucky ones" who have to work harder to lose. Boo. :(

I have been exercising and eating between 1300-1400 calories a day and since mid-September I have lost a total of 25 pounds. Seems crazy-slow. But I must be gaining muscle at the same time because I went down 2 dress sizes. I found that on days when I get all my water drank I have a better chance of losing weight. I went 8 weeks without losing a pound but I was not drinking enough water, so make sure you get your water in.
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Me. For the last 4 months, I have lost 11 pounds and I work as hard as everyone else. To tell you the truth, I do not care all that much anymore. I feel so much better!!!!
  • emott84
    emott84 Posts: 108
    Options
    I joined in late October and have lost nearly 25 pounds - so averaging a little under 5 pounds a month. Definitely not the instant gratification that I was hoping for :wink:, but hey ho.

I also tend to lose in 'fits and starts' - where I'll lose 2-3 pounds in two weeks, but then not lose for another 2-3 weeks, which is frustrating, but it seems to be the way my body is reacting to it so I guess I'll have to deal! I could probably be more rigid in my diet and exercise, but I figure if I can still work in some restaurant meals and a few cookies into my lifestyle and still lose weight (albeit slower), I'm good to go!
  • lnmackel
    lnmackel Posts: 11
    Options
    I thought I was the only one. I have been a member for six weeks and have lost 6 pounds. I work out at least six days a week by walking, dancing or by doing Zumba. I usually don't eat my calories that I earned by excersising which can be 400-700. After logging in my food calories it tells me that I am in starvation mode. This is a new concept for me and hard to get use to. But, I will start to eat more calories. Thanks for you post.