Why I hate facebook, account officially deactivated.

Options
michlingle
michlingle Posts: 797 Member
So I deactivated my facebook, and here is the last time I will comment or reference anything about the site. I need to vent, and I am not a blogger. So here it goes....

I am tired of reading about people in a way that is so narcissistic. I find myself feeling envious and jealous of certain people, or of their baby stories, and all those damn workouts that people feel the need to post daily. It's almost as if when I don't post updates about the above topics, then they don't exist in my life. But they do! They do exist, but I just don't feel the need to put it out there on a daily basis to all my "friends." I know that mfp has similar characteristics to facebook. But at least here, I really only know one person in my "real" life, and I don't feel the need to prove anything to that person. But on facebook, there are many people I feel the need to continuously prove myself to. There are the cousins I barely see, or the friend from high school that I haven't seen in years but was only added as my friend so we could snoop on each other's life progression.....I kinda just hate it. I find myself thinking about what a good status update my latest thoughts would be. But honestly, why do I think that anyone cares? Do I have to share that I spent the day in my pajamas or that I'm really enjoying a glass of red? Because at the end of the day, no on really cares, we're all just in it for the same reasons. To compare ourselves to others and to use others as a gague for our own lives. I know it serves a purpose, like keeping in touch with family who live far away, but do I really need to see photos of my niece "posing" and making the cute frowny face, or the cute ugly face, or the cute kissy face a hundred different ways, but they all end up looking the same? Maybe it's the list of friends I have, but it really is a part of my life I no longer want. And NO, I wasn't a facebook addict, probably 10-15 minutes a day, but I never logged off the site and had a good feeling, but when I log off mfp I do have a good feeling. I am spending time doing something that is healthy, I think facebook is very unhealthy. Thanks for listening. :smile:

Replies

• ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I hear ya,I still have mine going to at current,but I don't spend more then 1-15 mins a day on it. Just leaves me feeling yuck.
  • TheNewDanielle
    Options
    I completely agree with you on facebook.. I find myself envious of others in my life, as if my life is actually worth less because I haven't succeeded similarly. Good job deactivating... I'm not quite that strong because it's a source of mindless, game entertainment while at work lol
  • DowntimeDesigns
    DowntimeDesigns Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Facebook makes me feel like I don't have a life. Everyone seems to be out living their lives - drinking, getting engaged, getting married, having kids., etc. and here I sit... alone... counting calories.
  • 3ur3ka
    3ur3ka Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I wish I had people who didn't ***** about their lives on my friends list. 90% of the posts I see on facebook is a complaint of some sort. I probably won't deactivate my account because I really do use it to communicate with my huge family. We all live in different time zones and have hectic lives so it is hard to be able to call at a decent time.

I did delete my old myspace account for the reasons you did away with your facebook though. and people stealing pictures of my son.
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    And this is why I never joined Facebook to begin with. The people in my life who care about me already know what I'm up to. The rest don't matter.
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Never had FB and never will. I don't care enough to post about my every minute. I think if I was on it I would be a lot like you....always trying to prove myself...eek. It would be like being back in high school...NO THANK YOU!....lol.

To each their own though...I know people who post every detail and I worry for those people....random stangers know too much sometimes and to me that is plain freaky.
  • simplexserenity
    simplexserenity Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Totally, completely, utterly 100% agree with you. THANK YOU for making me feel like I'm not the only person who feels this way.

Downtime Designs: You're TOTALLY not alone staying in counting calories. We're working towards having a better future, nothing
    to be ashamed of =)
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Facebook makes me feel like I don't have a life. Everyone seems to be out living their lives - drinking, getting engaged, getting married, having kids., etc. and here I sit... alone... counting calories.

Ha ha you snarky fella :wink: But I get your drift, I think you would agree though that sitting on one's *kitten* counting calories after a good workout is better than sitting on one's *kitten* reading about other people's boring day...we are not regressing on mfp!!!!!
  • mandamama
    mandamama Posts: 250
    Options
    Guess I am the opposite, I enjoy facebook, I enjoy seeing my friends children that I wouldn't normally see through pictures, I enjoy connecting with my friends, who are all in one little convinent spot.
    When I post something its becuase I am actually proud of it (like working out) not becuase I am in competition with anyone, I don't view it that way at all, I see it as a quick way of sharing whats going on in everyones lives.
    That being said, I only have people on mine that I do actually give a flying crap to know whats going on with them, and the people who feed off drama. boom deleted. its just facebook I have no qualms with deleting people or not adding people I don't care to talk to in real life :)
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I think part of what you’re touching on is the way that social media has the ability to make us constantly feel as though we are missing out. And if we struggle with emptiness, with not feeling enough, seeing the microscopic details of other’s lives just increases that feeling. I just read an article by one of the founders of Flickr that touches on this subject. You might find it interesting, or not: http://caterina.net/wp-archives/71
  • calmmomw3minimeez
    calmmomw3minimeez Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    And this is why I never joined Facebook to begin with. The people in my life who care about me already know what I'm up to. The rest don't matter.
    Agreed!:drinker: :smokin: :ohwell:
  • DowntimeDesigns
    DowntimeDesigns Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Downtime Designs: You're TOTALLY not alone staying in counting calories. We're working towards having a better future, nothing to be ashamed of =)
    Well thats good, because my Friday/Saturday nights are LAME! I just hope my "better future" gets here soon, because I'm bored...

Ha ha you snarky fella :wink: But I get your drift, I think you would agree though that sitting on one's *kitten* counting calories after a good workout is better than sitting on one's *kitten* reading about other people's boring day...we are not regressing on mfp!!!!!
    Oh I'm bitter, lol. I try not to sit on my *kitten* and do either, but when my choices are "go out drinking" because thats all my single friends do. Or sit home and not do anything, I often choose the latter to preserve my workouts.
  • Levedi
    Levedi Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Lol! I like facebook, but I get the same way. If I see one more "isn't my baby cute" update I may unfriend certain people. No - really, your baby isn't cute. She's a spoiled brat. And you are in total denial. This is why I turn down friend requests even from people I know.

Guy I didn't really like in college who's now married and probably trolling for dates - denied!
    douchy racist cousin who thinks he's smarter than everyone because he has a law degree - denied!

On the other hand I found my best friend from second grade on FB. Turns out she's still a pretty cool person.
  • fullofhope
    fullofhope Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I only have one thing to say, a quote by Elenor Roosevelt. "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent". Think about it.
  • amjmomma
    amjmomma Posts: 41
    Options
    Ohhh, sad! For what it's worth, you have a great smile! =)
  • cklbrown
    cklbrown Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

Sitting counting calories seems to be working for you. You look great and you have made such good progress!
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I am with you. No Facebook, or twitter, your space ( or my space). Except for MFP no other social network in my life. Guess what? I AM HAPPY!!
  • LexieSweetheart
    LexieSweetheart Posts: 793 Member
    Options

OMG I feel the exact same way!! everyone is out loving and living life. while i sit at home playing farmville
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,423 Member
    Options
    Guess I am the opposite, I enjoy facebook, I enjoy seeing my friends children that I wouldn't normally see through pictures, I enjoy connecting with my friends, who are all in one little convinent spot.
    When I post something its becuase I am actually proud of it (like working out) not becuase I am in competition with anyone, I don't view it that way at all, I see it as a quick way of sharing whats going on in everyones lives.
    That being said, I only have people on mine that I do actually give a flying crap to know whats going on with them, and the people who feed off drama. boom deleted. its just facebook I have no qualms with deleting people or not adding people I don't care to talk to in real life :)

I'm with mandamama. I enjoy facebook but there are a few folks on there I just ignore. I also have teenagers and that is why I initially opened an account, just to make certain they weren't posting things they shouldn't. Then I started finding old friends, hearing about family members who live far away, planning my high school reunion and playing those darn games and now I'm on it more than my kids! I don't post anything about my workouts, weight loss or even our vacations on FB. I'm a somewhat private person so don't tell my real life friends how much I weigh or what I've eaten -that's what my MFP friends are for (aren't they lucky!). But boy, between the two sites, I spend waaaayyy too much time on the computer.
  • samcee
    samcee Posts: 307
    Options
    My first fb account was deleted due to an unpleasant stalking incident. Also found out that my ex has cheated on me via fb when someone I didn't know sent me pictures of him being intimate with another girl. So I guess I'm glad I had it at the time because I don't think I would of found out otherwise and he would of wasted even more of my time and life.

I had every imaginable person on there and it's ridiculous because I'll never talk to these old school friends and acquaintances. It does become somewhat of a popularity contest with bragging rights. I've reopened a new account since than and keeping only limited amount of close friends that I currently talk to and care about. It's good when we go out and one of us brings a camera who will uploads it for all to see too. I've moved away from my friends and its nice to share pictures and stories when I don't have time to meet them.