Why are carbs so bad?

Options

Replies

• Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    but doesnt this happen if you over eat on anything?

Does what happen? Insulin response? No, it doesn't.

Sorry forgot to quote xD was to the post above you saying that if you eat too many carbs they store as fat

Exceeding calorie needs in general yes. If you spike your blood sugar from carbs with nowhere to put it, it goes immediately to fat storage regardless of exceeding calorie needs or not. Then, you have to try and unlock that fat to be used as energy.

Oh i get it! So a slice of bread one in a while wouldn't spike my blood sugar by much would it?
    Like I said I usually avoid carbs but this just had me wondering
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Too many carbs are bad. The right amount at the right time is essential. Carb in morning, before and after workout.

Actually - not essential at all. There is zero daily requirement for carbs. You must eat some protein and some fat for sustained life, but you could live a long, healthy life and never have another carb (if you got the vitamins and minerals from another source of course.)

Not saying don't eat veggies by any means, just throwing this out there.

I have read so much about this as well! I am lacking in the fruit and veggies department :p no where on campus that I can get anything but carrots and bananas.. yuck!
  • Dawn111567
    Options
    If you really want to know, read one of Gary Taubes books, "Good Calories, Bad Calories" or "Why we get fat". He gives the best explanation of the low sugar carb theory of nutrition out there. You can also watch the documentary "Fat Head" or go to that movie's website. I'm not advocating anything, but if you really want to know why some people think sugar carbs are bad for weight loss (or nutrition in general) those are the best sources.

I agree. You may want to look at the book "Why We Get Fat" because it is a lot shorter than his original book "Good Calories, Bad Calories".
  • cem2168
    cem2168 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    i love carbs! i tried a high protein no carb diet and lost 30 lbs, but I was very unhappy and never felt well. Carbs are not bad, just the KIND of carbs you eat. For so long the food industry has been making genetically modified monsters out of carbs, bleaching the flour, adding sugar, adding and taking out nutrient.... that is what makes out body fat. Plus, too much of anything can make you fat. Just eat the right portions, of the right unprocessed whole grains and you will be fine. The low carb kick will soon pass like any other fad diet.
  • tryinghard2012
    tryinghard2012 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    You need HEALTHY carbs to function--- carbs are fuel for the body. They aren't bad unless you overindulge in it. All things are bad when consuming too much of it.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Oh i get it! So a slice of bread one in a while wouldn't spike my blood sugar by much would it?
    Like I said I usually avoid carbs but this just had me wondering

I guess that would depend more on your total carb load per day(probably not much is what it sounds like), but probably not. I've had an english muffing or toast in the morning forever(just ate my last muffin so I'm done with grains). If you ever start to get "soft" looking, that's most likely why and where to clean things out of the diet first. Than probably alcohol after that(burnt first as fuel when in the system).

There are other issues with wheat gluten that you may want to read about and make a decision for yourself.
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    but doesnt this happen if you over eat on anything?

Does what happen? Insulin response? No, it doesn't.

Sorry forgot to quote xD was to the post above you saying that if you eat too many carbs they store as fat

Exceeding calorie needs in general yes. If you spike your blood sugar from carbs with nowhere to put it, it goes immediately to fat storage regardless of exceeding calorie needs or not. Then, you have to try and unlock that fat to be used as energy.

Things made from whole grain flour are not any better than white flour(which is actually what) in terms of insulin response. Whole grain means in one piece or few large pieces, not flour!

Insulin folds to a hypocaloric diet making it almost irrelevant for fat loss. You're also ignoring the fact that protein spikes insulin levels as well.

You may bloat more on higher carb diet but that is only because of water retention and glycogen stores being filled. It is impossible to gain fat on a hypocaloric diet if you look at the overall picture of the day/week. (Ignoring people with insulin sensitivity/resistance)
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    If you really want to know, read one of Gary Taubes books, "Good Calories, Bad Calories" or "Why we get fat". He gives the best explanation of the low sugar carb theory of nutrition out there. You can also watch the documentary "Fat Head" or go to that movie's website. I'm not advocating anything, but if you really want to know why some people think sugar carbs are bad for weight loss (or nutrition in general) those are the best sources.

I loved Fat Head. I've heard that GC,BC is a little too scientific for me, but WWGF is amazing and easy to understand.

I'm now doing about 60-100 grams of carbs a day, none of which are from wheat (whole or otherwise) and I feel amazing. Fruits and veggies are fine for carbs. I'm also cutting out "non or low-fat" because of all the added garbage. My husband went months without losing hardly anything on reduced calories (bounced around 190 since January) but started a similar plan as I am with all carbs coming from fruits & veggies (and nuts, etc) but not wheat and he's lost 5 pounds in a week. Most is likely water, but it all seems to be off his belly. And he's feeling much better in the mornings and getting through his evening workouts with ease.
  • YeaILift
    Options
    You're not advocating anything yet you recommend an amateur film maker/programmer as the best source for nutritional advise, who doesn't back his many of his claims with scientific evidence and interviews anti-carb zealots?

Yea, okay. :laugh:
  • pyro13g
    Options

Insulin folds to a hypocaloric diet making it almost irrelevant for fat loss. You're also ignoring the fact that protein spikes insulin levels as well.

The affect is not the same!
  • YeaILift
    Options

It's still irrelevant either way if you are on a hypocaloric diet!
  • Noz7
    Noz7 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    It's the insulin response that happens as a result. Read up on the role of insulin and you'll understand. Keep feeling guilty, it keeps you thin.

Read up on glycemic Load too.

"Smoking and Diet Cola keep me thin!" ... Barbie!

ROFL!!!!:laugh:
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options

Actually - not essential at all. There is zero daily requirement for carbs. You must eat some protein and some fat for sustained life, but you could live a long, healthy life and never have another carb (if you got the vitamins and minerals from another source of course.)

Exactly.
  • pyro13g
    Options

It's still irrelevant either way if you are on a hypocaloric diet!

Depends. You might want to talk to a diabetic.
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    You're not advocating anything yet you recommend an amateur film maker/programmer as the best source for nutritional advise, who doesn't back his many of his claims with scientific evidence and interviews anti-carb zealots?

Yea, okay. :laugh:

As opposed to a 21 year old kid? I'll take my chances with the amateur film maker/programmer.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    So many people make it seem like it though! And so many things I have read always frown upon carbs xD I just dont understand why! hehe

It's dependent on the type of carb, if it's processed or unprocessed and how much and when really.
  • YeaILift
    Options

Exactly.

You must certainly could, but it isn't necessary to cut out a whole macro nutrition group for the sake of weight loss. Especially if you are trying to build muscles like our Original Poster where carbs play an important role.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I think it's an American thing, carb-phobia. My little sister is in perfect shape, really, she has the kind of figure most people would kill for, but eats loads of potatoes and bread. She lived in NY for 6 months and used to get very amused by all the conversations she overheard along the lines of "Oh, I just can't eat carbs AT ALL", which is ridiculous. Everyone needs carbohydrate in their diet. It's one of the basic building blocks of life.

Everything in moderation.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options

I loved Fat Head. I've heard that GC,BC is a little too scientific for me, but WWGF is amazing and easy to understand.

I'm now doing about 60-100 grams of carbs a day, none of which are from wheat (whole or otherwise) and I feel amazing. Fruits and veggies are fine for carbs. I'm also cutting out "non or low-fat" because of all the added garbage. My husband went months without losing hardly anything on reduced calories (bounced around 190 since January) but started a similar plan as I am with all carbs coming from fruits & veggies (and nuts, etc) but not wheat and he's lost 5 pounds in a week. Most is likely water, but it all seems to be off his belly. And he's feeling much better in the mornings and getting through his evening workouts with ease.

I haven't read any of this stuff. I have cut out most flours. I will still have bread or pasta on occasion - I don't deprive myself of anything. I have my carbs at 40% (165g) and I try and fill that with just fruits and veggies (and my morning oatmeal and I do have my added sugars set at 25g - do my best to stay under). When I stopped eating flours I felt like I "emptied out". I have started lifting weights and for the first time since my journey started I have had a tiny drop on my belly fat. Only 2mm on the calipers but I was overjoyed when I saw it.

I don't believe in zero carbs. I do believe is the type of carb that makes all the diffference.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    It's the insulin response that happens as a result. Read up on the role of insulin and you'll understand. Keep feeling guilty, it keeps you thin.

Read up on glycemic Load too.

Insulin does not make you gain weight in the absence of an energy surplus.