Breastfeeing Mum's?

Options
Are there any others out there?

I started my 'diet' a couple of weeks ago. I just went on Kellymom (fab breastfeeding site!) and it said I needed between 1700-1800 cals a day to maintain milk and lose weight. This does seem an awful lot of cals to me but I have lost nearly 7lb in a week already so for the moment it has worked.

Are you doing similar? Oh and how do you plan to decrease the calories as your baby weans?

My daughter is nearly 5mths btw and exclusively breastfed.

Replies

• Cbyas
    Cbyas Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yes you should make sure your eat. Nursing burns calories and since your child is only five months you are burning atleast 500 calories a day. I DID NOTHING, the first year after having my daughter and I became skinnier then I was before I had her.
  • cupfanncbms
    cupfanncbms Posts: 101
    Options
    I'm also a BF mom. I am nursing my 10 month old and his big brother, who turned 3 in December. I have cut my calories down to the 1200 ish range (some days; I usually take the weekend off of dieting), but on the days I'm low, I know my nutrition is still good. I drink protein drinks and take vitamins. When I was eating 1800 calories a day, I was packing on pounds. :-/ If women who are starving can still produce milk enough to have their babies thrive until they're weaned, I think my 1200 calories will be fine... but that's just my thought on it. ;)

Congrats on your 7 pounds lost!
  • fitmom4ever
    fitmom4ever Posts: 130
    Options
    I am still breastfeeding my 11 month old daughter. You can use this site to determine how many calories you need to consume to lose 1 lb a week, and then add your calories burned nursing to that total. There are some entries in the food database for breastfeeding moms that will add calories back into your daily total. My favorite is the one labeled "breastfeeding mother (by oz) rq." If you are exclusively breastfeeding you are likely producing an average of 30 ozs per day, which is about 600 calories. I checked all of the information with a couple of breastfeeding consultants at my local hospital and LaLeche League to ensure accuracy. Those prenatal vitamins for adequate calcium & iron levels are really important too. And make sure to drink tons of water too.
    As far as weaning goes, I am just starting that journey, hoping to have her weaned by her 1st birthday in early May. I am trying to gradually cut back on nursing, so that my body doesn't go through the pain of engorgement, the baby has a transitional time to get used to drinking real milk from a sippy, and to allow me to learn how to adjust my calories consumed every day. But it is definately going to be a major adjustment, no matter how you go about it. I think it is just something that every mother has to personalize to her own body and the needs of your baby. My daughter is very clingy and definately demanding, so that is going to have a major impact on the weaning process.
    Feel free to send me a friend request or personal message if you have any other questions. It sounds like you are doing great so far losing weight, good luck as you continue on your journey to great health!
  • hayles1234
    Options
    Thanks.

I'll be weaning over time as I didn't stop last time til my dd was two.

I have been quite hungry despite 3 good meals and 1700cals so while I'm still loosing weight I'll guess I'll have to play it by ear.
  • CrystalS
    CrystalS Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I am breastfeed my baby and I try to eat around 1800 cal a day. Don't always make it, but that's what I try for. :happy:
  • abyssfully
    abyssfully Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I BF and eat about 1550 (give or take 100 calories) every day (besides weekends, I tend to go overboard) - but I'm somewhat a special case. I've had a low supply since my son was born 11.5 months ago. I've tried eating lots and lots and I'm now watching what I eat --- my supply is low no matter what (most likely due to my thyroid condition that went long undiagnosed.)