Why are carbs so bad?

Options

Replies

• jen0619
    jen0619 Posts: 414
    Options
    I eat lots of carbs. Yep that is right, lots of them. Ohh I would say about 55% of my diet is carbs. I eat bread and I enjoy it. I eat things people say we don't need to live and guess what I enjoy them to. I wouldn't say I get all my carbs from breads because I eat lots of fruits and vegetables and hardly any pasta or rice. You would know as a nutrition major that your body needs carbs for fueling as its primary source so bodily and brain function. Yes, you need a balanced diet of carbs, protein and fats. I wouldn't be afraid of carbs they have never done me wrong. Now that is just me of course but I don't think oatmeal or a slice of bread to say the least would harm your body :)
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Everyone needs carbohydrate in their diet.

Not really. Or at least minimally.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    If you really want to know, read one of Gary Taubes books, "Good Calories, Bad Calories" or "Why we get fat". He gives the best explanation of the low sugar carb theory of nutrition out there. You can also watch the documentary "Fat Head" or go to that movie's website. I'm not advocating anything, but if you really want to know why some people think sugar carbs are bad for weight loss (or nutrition in general) those are the best sources.

Agreed... Taubes plays a huge part in people's misunderstanding of insulin and calories.
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    It's the insulin response that happens as a result. Read up on the role of insulin and you'll understand. Keep feeling guilty, it keeps you thin.

Read up on glycemic Load too.

Insulin does not make you gain weight in the absence of an energy surplus.

It's like trying to tell little kids there is no Santa Clause. There is just no easy way to put it and they they never want to accept it.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Depends. You might want to talk to a diabetic.

weight loss =/= controlling diabetes
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Someone want to look my daily diet and let me know what you think?

My morning meal if chock full of carbs-Strawberries, Banana, Blueberries, Oatmeal, metamusil and two tablespoons of flax seed.

In the evening I have an apple or two before bed to fill me up....

Let me know what you guys think.
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I was trying to build, and will continue to once I am healed. And I always thought carbs were great for that. I have also read that low carb diets lead to more muscle loss.

Im trying to lose the last 10 lbs, out with an injury, and trying to figure out the best method! Or best ratio of protein/carbs/fats
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I was trying to build, and will continue to once I am healed. And I always thought carbs were great for that. I have also read that low carb diets lead to more muscle loss.

Im trying to lose the last 10 lbs, out with an injury, and trying to figure out the best method! Or best ratio of protein/carbs/fats

Without muscle stimulation you're going to have to accept the fact that you will lose some muscle regardless of your diet.
  • Naomi91
    Options

Without muscle stimulation you're going to have to accept the fact that you will lose some muscle regardless of your diet.

Yup already accepted this xD just want to hold on to as much as I can! Which from what I have read, low carb is a bad idea. So Im trying to figure out my % ratios. This vicodin must have my mind spinning :p lol
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    It's like trying to tell little kids there is no Santa Clause.

What do you mean there is no Santa Claus???

Carry on...
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Depends. You might want to talk to a diabetic.

My mother weighs 125 pounds (5'2") and developed type 2 diabetes after she was 70. She had a primarily carb diet, but didn't eat a lot of processed sugars. Lots of potatoes, rye bread, corn, etc.

(ETA - didn't mean to press enter yet)

The only thing that keeps her blood sugar stable (she hasn't gone on insulin) is by limiting her carbs. Of course, that's contrary to the insane advice her "nutritionist" gave her, but that's par for the course.
  • JDMPWR
    Options

Low protein leads to muscle loss but you do need carbs to fuel the body to BUILD or rebuild muscle.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    My mother weighs 125 pounds (5'2") and developed type 2 diabetes after she was 70. She had a primarily carb diet, but didn't eat a lot of processed sugars. Lots of potatoes, rye bread, corn, etc.

(ETA - didn't mean to press enter yet)

The only thing that keeps her blood sugar stable (she hasn't gone on insulin) is by limiting her carbs. Of course, that's contrary to the insane advice her "nutritionist" gave her, but that's par for the course.

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    If carbs are so unnecessary, why do Olympic athletes need so many? Of course they are.
  • JDMPWR
    Options
    If carbs are so unnecessary, why do Olympic athletes need so many? Of course they are.

Fuel.....Their workouts are like 4-6 times more demanding then ours. They burn anywhere from 4000-10000 calories a day dependent on what sport they do!

I know a sprinter with 4-5% body fat's metabolism eclipses most anyone on MFP. Think of a long distance runner. His body is muscular but lean. He eats certain types of carbs for endurance. Complex carb for a long run. Simple carb for short bursts of energy. Most serious runners have a decent protein intake but their carb intake is as much if not higher then their protein intake because they need that stored energy from a complex carb for a long run and why? because they have such a low body fat percentage and what is body fat? Body fat is stored energy!

A sprinter needs more of a simple carb for the burst of energy BUT an Olympic sprinter that trains for hours a day needs both because the body will deplete simple carbs quickly so they rely on some complex carbs in their diet for the whole day but a constant amount of simple carbs as well for instant energy.

So now lets take that sprinter that weighs 150-160lbs and tell him to go do 2 hours of hard and heavy lifting on his high carb mid level protein diet. He will falter quickly and the reason being is his body is not conditioned for this. His body is light and muscles are defined but not dense like a body builders would be.

It's like taking Mike Tyson and telling him to go do the tour de france and then telling Lance Armstrong to go 6 rounds with Lennox Lewis.

Protein=the material needed to build & rebuild muscle

Carbohydrates=the material that is fuel to move the muscle
  • Naomi91
    Options

Low protein leads to muscle loss but you do need carbs to fuel the body to BUILD or rebuild muscle.

I definitely get enough protein. Usually shoot for getting at least my body weight. What % of carbs would you recommend? I currently cannot do any physical activity due to bruised ribs D:
  • JDMPWR
    Options

I definitely get enough protein. Usually shoot for getting at least my body weight. What % of carbs would you recommend? I currently cannot do any physical activity due to bruised ribs D:

I believe right now I do 45/35/20-Protein/Carbs/Fats...I have to check though. I might drop the carbs down a bit though.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I have carbs with every meal (with the exception of the right-before-bed-meal most days). It has not hindered my weight loss. I'm not saying low-carb doesn't work. I've seen people succeed on low carb diets. But most people succeed on regular carb diets. This low-carb evangelism is somewhat baffling.

Does anyone know if the pompous schmuck from Fat Head ever managed to get lean and fit?

For that matter, how many athletes do you know who do low carb?
  • ryzola
    ryzola Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Carbohydrates aren't your enemy, just learn how to utilise and manage them.
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Carbs in and of themselves are not bad. It's just that most of the carbs that we eat have been processed by man in such a way that they have been stripped of their good fiber and nutrients, leaving you with mostly alot of starch that spikes your blood sugar.