Replies

• sandyw127
    sandyw127 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    the notebook.. i love the movie too..
  • Nellie1drfl
    Nellie1drfl Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hunger Games, young adult 3 book series. Awesome (not about eating though).
    I got this book from the library on audio MP3 Im hooked I take it with me on my walks makes me look forward to them!!
  • christinar2008
    christinar2008 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Night Road by Kristin Hannah was very good.
    The Help by Katherine Stockett was very good/funny.
    The Hunger Games was also very good.
  • fitmom4ever
    fitmom4ever Posts: 130
    Options
    1984 by George Orwell :)

Or if you want a mammoth task, The Dark Tower series by Stephen King :)
    I just finished The Dark Tower series a few months ago and couldn't believe he ended it like that! I almost felt as though I had been on a journey of years myself (It took me about a year to finish the whole series, since I had to keep searching for the next book at the used book shop). Then to have it end like that.... I was speechless- which is very rare for me. Still an incredible series of books though, and well worth the time it takes to read them!
  • annie_p
    annie_p Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    1984 by George Orwell :)

Or if you want a mammoth task, The Dark Tower series by Stephen King :)

Completely agree with The Dark Tower series...AMAZING. I loved them and when I finished one I couldn't wait to get the next one.
  • annie_p
    annie_p Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" is a great book. Much better than the movie. "Shutter Island" is one of the best books I've ever read. It's much better than the movie too. Any book by V.C. Andrews is good too. Beverly Barton writes great mystery-romance novels. There are others that I can't think of right now. Good luck!

The Girl Who Played with Fire is good too. Now I'm looking forward to reading the next one! I've looked at Shutter Island, maybe I'll have to pick that up!
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I just finished The Dark Tower series a few months ago and couldn't believe he ended it like that! I almost felt as though I had been on a journey of years myself (It took me about a year to finish the whole series, since I had to keep searching for the next book at the used book shop). Then to have it end like that.... I was speechless- which is very rare for me. Still an incredible series of books though, and well worth the time it takes to read them!

At first, I felt the same way about the end, but the more I thought about it (and think about it, I did), the more I felt it was a great ending.
  • phy40
    phy40 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Made to Crave by Lysa Terkeurst is a very good weight loss book. If you aren't spiritual I don't recommend it. One of her quotes is, "All things are permissble, but all things isn't beneficial. The chocolate cake is permissble but it's not beneficial. I read this book in three days.
  • Amaris1973
    Amaris1973 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    ANything by Paolo Coelho :)
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Cleopatra's Daughter, The Heretic Queen, and Nefertiti, all by Michelle Moran. Crossing to Safety, by Wallace Stegner, is the best book I've ever read. James Rollins, especially his Sigma Force ones, are good and suspenseful. I like Vince Flynn (kinda a 24-type plot). The Great Gatsby, if you've never read it, is fantastic.
  • eorourke23
    Options
    Got to be the secrets of crickley hall by james herbert, My all time favourite book, Lately I read josephine cox's songbird, I was gutted when I finished it, 2 amazing reads. :)
  • Lanfear
    Lanfear Posts: 524
    Options
    These are some of my favourite books/series:

Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series (Tad Williams)
    The Wheel of Time series (Robert Jordan - fantastic if you've got a few years to waste LOL)
    Wire in the Blood, Torment of Others, The Mermaids Singing (Val McDermid) (all are crime and quite graphic in places)
    Rose Madder, IT (Stephen King)
    Twilight Eyes (Dean R Koontz)
    The Lovely Bones (Alice Seabold)
    Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Douglas Adams)
    Weaveworld (Clive Barker)
    The Undead series (Mary Janice Davidson)
    The Mirror of Her Dreams and A Man Rides Through (Stephen Donaldson)
    Bestseller (Olivia Goldsmith)
    Anne of Green Gables series (LM Montgomery). Don't care that I'm nearly 40, I still love 'em!

Probably enough to be going on with LOL! :smile:
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Fragile Beasts by Tawni O'Dell
    Full Dark, No Stars by Stephen King
    Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter by Tom Franklin
    The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton
  • emourato
    emourato Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Jeez, We could start a MFP bookclub!!
  • jlzrdking
    jlzrdking Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Horns by Joe Hill (Stephen King's son)

The Dark Tower Series is a great read, I've read them twice now.

I am currently reading the second book in "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" series

Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill

If you want something a bit odd read the "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" books, they just released a new one that I need to get.

"World War Z" also if you like zombie books.

I like the idea of an MFP book club
  • SommerJo
    SommerJo Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Jeez, We could start a MFP bookclub!!

I love this idea!!! I've been jotting down books all morning lol
  • SommerJo
    SommerJo Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I recently heard that Jean M Auel just released her newest book in the Clan of the Cave Bear series. They are longish books -- but she's such a descriptive author -- her books are captivating!!!

I almost picked it up yesterday because I have all the other ones. I checked the amazon reviews first (since the last one wasn't that great) and it got bad reviews. I decided to get it from the library instead.

Bummer - I'll still read it -- just because I have to -- I received Clan of the Cave Bear when I was 16. Read and re-read the books over the years. I can't stop now lol

Oh -- an "oldie" -- Anne Rice's The Witching Hour -- huge fan of hers but I think her witch series could have taken off better:)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I just finished "The House Next Door" by Anne Rivers Siddons. It's referred to as a horror book but not in a gory gruesome sense, more of a psychological thriller.

I'm also listening to the "Rizzoli and Isles" series by Tess Gerritson - great female cop drama. They sort of remind me of the Kathy Reichs books if you're familiar with those (see also Bones TV series).
  • AngelicaDulas
    Options
    I can't believe no one has mentioned the Sword of Truth Series by Terry Goodkind!! A "suck you in" kind of fantasy book (magic and mystery, but very brutally realistic with some things) the descriptions and energy/emotion of the characters really makes you feel their joys and pain. It's a huge undertaking (12 books) but really worth it!

Also Aztec by Gary Jennings, a historical fiction about a man being interviewed by the Conquistadores after they conquered the Mexica nation, he tells his twisted story from child hood to old age, and everything in between. Very interesting.
  • gagejennifer
    Options
    Me personally I like anything by James Patterson......