Ketosis or not? And if so what?

Options
So I have been reading various ideas and suggestions about how to kick-start a diet. Some say you can drop an immediate 5 to 15lbs by using a ketosis focused diet. First three days protein only and then low carb, high protein mix. Anything must be better than my current diet:

Coffee in the AM (M-F) and then I will continue drinking it throughout the day (total of 4 cups or so)
Breakfast - Weeekends eggs bacon toast etc.
Lunch - rarely as I normally work through it. At best its a quick burger
Dinner - is usually a high calorie, high processed meal.

Stats: Male 43, 200 lbs, 5' 6

So here is my question. Do you recommend going on a protein only diet to rid my body of its dependance on sugar? If so can anyone recommend a good multi-meal a day guide? And what should I do after the first three days?

If a ketosis diet isn't right, what is?

Thanks
D

Replies

• HerpDerp745
    HerpDerp745 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I hear it makes you feel pretty lousy. Try a lower carb to high protein/fat ratio to just see how you feel first.
  • andipandi
    andipandi Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    yikes!!! how bout trying a balanced diet and exercise... :D
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    yikes!!! how bout trying a balanced diet and exercise... :D
    Agreed. Why the rush?
  • floydg68
    floydg68 Posts: 28
    Options
    Ketosis is the basis for the "Atkins' Diet". It is very effective at dropping pounds quickly if you follow his program. You will feel the effects of missing carbs. Most our current diets train our bodies to use carbohydrates so it will feel uncomfortable in the first few days.
    The problem with this kind of diet is it is hard to maintain for most people. Our bodies need carbs to function well (especially if your working out) and when you start eating them again you will gain weight if you're not very careful.
  • dababers
    dababers Posts: 135
    Options
    You have to be on a plan that you can call a lifestyle change. It has to be something realistic that you can maintain for the long term. Your body needs good carbs for energy. Eat a balanced, lower fat diet, eliminating the processed foods as much as possible. I know this means that you'll have to plan ahead and prepare a healthy lunch for work. But hey...you're worth it, right?
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    My first suggestion is to perhaps not eat so much all at the end of the day. I'd prefer eating more in the morning to fuel you through the day... Also, you may just want to add better quality foods into your diet. It's amazing what real food does to your body! And what awfulness processed food does to it...

Anyway, I'm not totally sure what you are talking about in "protein only" - I'm hoping that's just poor wording in saying meat and low carb veggies.

I've felt my best when I do a low carb diet with plenty of protein, natural fats, and good veggies - with the occasional low sugar fruit. When I first switched over, the first 3 days or so I felt a little funny as my body switched over to relying more on the protein and fats, and my brain became accustomed to using ketone bodies instead of glucose for energy. After that, I feel absolutely fantastic.

But you may really just want to examine your food habits instead of looking for a new diet plan right off the bat.
  • Sunny_Lexie
    Sunny_Lexie Posts: 114
    Options
    I would recommend NOT. Ketosis diet is primarily designed in some cases of infantile epilepsy.
    Plus, would you want to smell acetone because you have it so much in you body fluids? Because that's what is ultimately produced. Higher protein, lower fat and lower sugar, with the right amount of sugar, will do the job!
  • mkskippy24
    Options
    I think it's different for everyone. What i will say is this, most who do "low carb" diets also tend to not watch the amount of fat they eat. Eating a lot of fat still isn't very healthy. Also, I've tried the "low carb" diets before, and while i might lose a pound or two more than I have with just exercise and eating better...... once off the "low carb" diet, i had trouble continuing to lose weight, and actually put some of the weight back on.

Just know what you are getting into. There are plenty of debates on if Ketosis is good or bad for your body. Listen to the reccomendations from those who've studied it and know how it works. I know doing low carb for too long can be a bad thing. You definately don't want to get to a point of Ketoacidosis. That is very bad.

You could always just start by eating better. You were able to identify your bad eating habits.... just start by changing them..... eating a little better.... instead of a fad diet that may or may not give you what you want!
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Look into paleo eating. Try MarksDailyApple.com or RobbWolf.com. I'm in a constant state of ketosis (take in <50 g's carbs per day from veggies, occasionally fruit) and my energy is through the roof. Initially it can be rough.
  • tiggy73
    tiggy73 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I say not. Low carb diets via ketosis will cause you to lose weight fast, BUT, it's not realistic to eat hardly any carbs forever. It is not healthy for your organs to stay in ketosis.

Plus, the minute you go off of it, you will gain it all back. I am speaking from experience. For long term success, you have to make changes that you can live with forever. Switch out your white starches to whole grain ones, like whole grain bread, brown rice, etc. If you are going to cut out any carbs, just do so at dinner time. You NEED carbohydrates for energy, just eat them earlier in the day, and eat the good ones!

Here is a video from Bob Harper where he talks about portion control and how to split up the nutrients you need during the day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IEIVMaV5Oo&amp;feature=player_embedded

Good luck to you! :)
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I won't say whether a ketogenic diet is right or wrong. But I will say that it's a major commitment and not something you do to "kick start" a diet plan. If you do it, do it right, and healthy, do a lot of research. Ketosis comes with risks, primarily among them is dehydration and massive calcium loss at the beginning. Neither of these are desirable and must be accounted for. The reason for the large weight drop at the beginning is simply because your body is expelling all the extra water that comes with glycogen that is no longer being stored at the muscle sites (as a body in ketosis now relies mostly on ketones for energy, and FFA's. Saving glycogen for the brain). Basically all this means is that if you ever go off ketosis, you WILL gain that water weight back, there's no disputing this, it's just a fact of life.

Now, there are some very good reasons to be in ketosis. As mentioned earlier, many studies have proven that seizures can be minimized with this type of diet (modified, much higher fat levels as opposed to much higher protein levels), and other studies show that type 2 diabetics with insulin resistance can benefit from the reduced blood sugars (and consequently reduced insulin levels); also people with specific allergies to wheat based products often use this method. But in general, it doesn't help you lose weight in the long run any better than a balanced diet with a deficit would, and in general is a much more strict eating practice and as such, I wouldn't recommend it to most people.