Bikram Yoga

Options
I'm trying out hot yoga tomorrow for the first time... 90 mins in 105 degree room! Anyone else tried it? Have any advice, comments?

Replies

• shumatet1982
    Options
    Have never heard of it. Do you have a link?
  • lifelet
    lifelet Posts: 1
    Options
    Bikram is great fun ^_^

Drink atleast 2L of water a few hours before you go in and dont eat in the same amount of time!
    Concentrate on your breathing! Calm mind = calm breath = calm heart rate
    Don't worry about not being able to get into some positions, just go as far as u can.

DONT WEAR TOO MANY CLOTHES!

Hydrate well afterwards - coconut water is amazing!

Go back as soon as possible!!!
  • lalalalyndsey
    Options
    I've done bikram before... my first time I felt like I was going to pass out. The best advice I have is don't push yourself too hard and take a break if you need to. Also, I only did an hour my first time! I don't think I could have made a full 90 mins! Although, afterwards you feel soooo relaxed and flexible! I hope you like it!
  • albragg
    albragg Posts: 55
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!

@shumate, here's a link for you!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bikram_Yoga
  • MarkEdwards1
    Options
    I love it, been doing it for over 6 months. Don't expect to master it on the first class so give it a few goes before you decide whether to stick at it. I never nmiss a class and get the best nights sleep ever afterwards!
  • Gabby215
    Gabby215 Posts: 69
    Options
    I love Bikram! I go 2-3 times a week. My advice is to eat a good, balanced meal tonight and drink lots of water. Eat a small meal about 90 minutes before class; I have a dry piece of wholewheat toast and a small banana. When you get to the studio, maybe ask someone where the cooler spots in the studio are, I did that for for first few classes and being a newbie, it really helped (it was still really, really hot, just not right under the vent, which is a killer!). Also, make sure you get a spot where you can see yourself in the mirror so you can make adjustments, but also go in the second or third row. Usually the first row is all regulars and it can be helpful to watch them, especially in your first class. Also to echo what someone said above - it's your first class, don't feel like you need to do every single posture (I've been practicing for a year and a half and there are days where I need to take a break or two)! If you need to take a break, just take a knee and keep your head above your heart. Take small sips of water too, if you chug it down, there will be lots of water sloshing around in your stomach and that will make you feel worse! Also try to drink only in between postures, as it can be distracting if you break for a drink while others are trying to balance on one leg. Sorry this turned out to be such a long post! It's just that I love Bikram yoga and I get excited when someone is trying it out for the first time. Hope you enjoy it!!!
  • albragg
    Options
    I love Bikram! I go 2-3 times a week. My advice is to eat a good, balanced meal tonight and drink lots of water. Eat a small meal about 90 minutes before class; I have a dry piece of wholewheat toast and a small banana. When you get to the studio, maybe ask someone where the cooler spots in the studio are, I did that for for first few classes and being a newbie, it really helped (it was still really, really hot, just not right under the vent, which is a killer!). Also, make sure you get a spot where you can see yourself in the mirror so you can make adjustments, but also go in the second or third row. Usually the first row is all regulars and it can be helpful to watch them, especially in your first class. Also to echo what someone said above - it's your first class, don't feel like you need to do every single posture (I've been practicing for a year and a half and there are days where I need to take a break or two)! If you need to take a break, just take a knee and keep your head above your heart. Take small sips of water too, if you chug it down, there will be lots of water sloshing around in your stomach and that will make you feel worse! Also try to drink only in between postures, as it can be distracting if you break for a drink while others are trying to balance on one leg. Sorry this turned out to be such a long post! It's just that I love Bikram yoga and I get excited when someone is trying it out for the first time. Hope you enjoy it!!!

Thank you! I'll let you know how it goes :)
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Options
    love love love it
  • albragg
    Options
    Whoo! It was fun! I felt like a zombie after, but it was so worth it. Have never sweat that much before.... it was intense!