In need of a pep talk desperately!

Options
I'm slipping, I'm slipping......ok I slipped off my regime big time UGH!:sad: My daughter came home and surprised me with lunch St. Hubert's chicken. Now the chicken (roasted) wasn't bad but the fries well need I say more:huh: . She thought I had been doing well and deserved a treat! She is a sweetheart to treat her Mom to lunch. But......my husband was on the same wavelength and brought home dinner, the worst of all worst Kentucky Fried (yes fried) Chicken and fries:noway: . Add a few glasses of wine and I don't even want to look at my total. I'm going downstairs right now to do some sort of work out, the guilt I feel for eating all that. :cry: It is so discouraging to slip up like that. My exercise has suffered because of my fibromyalgia and neck and back injuries, and I haven't been sleeping hardly at all. To motivate myself back has just been so hard. My husband and Cloe my pup are going for a long walk this afternoon to try and get me back on track. We are actually taking Cloe sledding, she loves it. Both him and my daughter try to exercise with me to encourage me. I'm so tired.:yawn:

Replies

• Cloe
    Cloe Posts: 435
    Options
    I'm slipping, I'm slipping......ok I slipped off my regime big time UGH!:sad: My daughter came home and surprised me with lunch St. Hubert's chicken. Now the chicken (roasted) wasn't bad but the fries well need I say more:huh: . She thought I had been doing well and deserved a treat! She is a sweetheart to treat her Mom to lunch. But......my husband was on the same wavelength and brought home dinner, the worst of all worst Kentucky Fried (yes fried) Chicken and fries:noway: . Add a few glasses of wine and I don't even want to look at my total. I'm going downstairs right now to do some sort of work out, the guilt I feel for eating all that. :cry: It is so discouraging to slip up like that. My exercise has suffered because of my fibromyalgia and neck and back injuries, and I haven't been sleeping hardly at all. To motivate myself back has just been so hard. My husband and Cloe my pup are going for a long walk this afternoon to try and get me back on track. We are actually taking Cloe sledding, she loves it. Both him and my daughter try to exercise with me to encourage me. I'm so tired.:yawn:
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    Take a deep breath. Did you enjoy having a meal you didn't have to prepare with your daughter and husband.

Not the end of the world. We all need those times and sometimes the people nearest us can see that before we do. Even if it drives us nuts. You will coninue to go on eating healthy and exercise so you can beat the dreaded "fried" word. next time maybe you can add a salad to it then you won't eat as many fries.

Have a great day and don't beat yourself up.

:flowerforyou:
  • JulieB21
    JulieB21 Posts: 492
    Options
    It's only one day...it happens to all of us. Tomorrow is another day and your daughter is right-you are entitled to a treat. My kids come over & want to get take-out and I struggle to say "get me a salad" as opposed to "I'll take a bacon cheeseburger" and sometimes I do have the cheeseburger. Then when I'm exercising the next day, I truly give it my all because of my choices. Don't be so hard on yourself. Enjoy your walk and I hope you can get some sleep and recharge. Positive thoughts!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Consider it a "cheat day" or meal and start again! Patience with yourself and the process is the key to this.

As a fellow fibro sufferer, keeping moving is absolutely the key. Even 10 minutes of movement will help the pain in the long run. I know that when I don't exercise for 3-4 days, my pain comes back. If I keep moving, I consider my fibro "in remission".

You can do it. You won't be "perfect" all the time, but that's not the point. The point is consistently making the best choices for you. I aim for 95% "good"/whole food and 5% "naughty" maybe junk. That's what's worked for me.

Blessings!:flowerforyou:
  • rhondababy
    Options
    Take a deep breath Cloe! We've all been there; do not succumb to negative self talk. Remember:
    "Feedback, not Failure". Try to pay attention to how your body and mind feel right now and write in your journal entry. If facing the number of calories is too daunting- just make a note that you ate excessively today. If you've had too much food t work out take a hot shower, or bath, and be kind to yourself. None of us would be seeking the support of others if we could control this on our own.
    I had a horrible day yesterday, and am trying to regain my strength to continue.and remember it's not these occasional slip-ups that do us in, it is allowing them to throw us off completely.
    Also- maybe you should talk t your faily and le them know how much you appreciate their intent, but explain that it is hard for you to manage portions right now, and that you would rather have other rewards, like flowers, or a trip t the movies.

Hang on!!!
  • Cloe
    Options
    Can I just say "Thank you". You don't know how much you words mean to me.
  • Panthera
    Options
    You know, you might also want to have a talk with your daughter and husband also. A "treat" should make you feel good and eating all this stuff has obviously not made you feel good. I tell my friends and family that I want to decide when I want to treat myself, because sometimes you really need it - and generally I know when that is. Tell her next time to get get you a lotion or bath bubbles - treats can come in many different forms!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Hehehe.....I should share some of my 'cheat days' from when I was bulking. It'd put your cheats to shame! :laugh: And look, I don't weigh a million pounds or anything. You can get away with a day of bad eating. Heck, you can get away with a week of bad eating, it just makes your journey take a bit longer. Don't beat yourself up. Just enjoy the food, and enjoy your great workout the next day! Here's a sample of one of my cheat days:

eggs, sausage, grits f/ breakkie (that wasn't too bad)
    12 oz steak (ah, lots of protein!)
    HUGE sweet potato w/ honey butter & brown sugar (hey sweet potatoes are good for you!)
    12 rolls with honey butter (hahah can't justify the rest of the list)
    Ben n Jerry's "The Bar" ice cream bar
    Medium bag Combos
    6 Oreos
    Moon Pie
    Tiramisu

That was on my b-day almost a year ago...I've had others that included boxes of cookies and Jello Pudding pops. Of course I don't have these often, and I'm not saying they're beneficial in ANY way. I'm just saying they won't ruin all of your efforts. One of my goals was to not have any 'fun' food from Jan1-March3, and I'm doing just fine because after more than a year of clean eating, I don't really crave it anymore. But if I did eat something like that, I'd just look forward to the extreme lifting the next day. :bigsmile:
  • filergirl
    filergirl Posts: 240
    Options
    Hehehe.....I should share some of my 'cheat days' from when I was bulking. It'd put your cheats to shame! :laugh: And look, I don't weigh a million pounds or anything. You can get away with a day of bad eating. Heck, you can get away with a week of bad eating, it just makes your journey take a bit longer. Don't beat yourself up. Just enjoy the food, and enjoy your great workout the next day! Here's a sample of one of my cheat days:

HUGE sweet potato w/ honey butter & brown sugar (hey sweet potatoes are good for you!)
    Medium bag Combos
    6 Oreos
    Moon Pie
    Tiramisu

That was on my b-day almost a year ago...I've had others that included boxes of cookies and Jello Pudding pops. Of course I don't have these often, and I'm not saying they're beneficial in ANY way. I'm just saying they won't ruin all of your efforts. One of my goals was to not have any 'fun' food from Jan1-March3, and I'm doing just fine because after more than a year of clean eating, I don't really crave it anymore. But if I did eat something like that, I'd just look forward to the extreme lifting the next day. :bigsmile:

Hilarious. Sounds like what my couch potato ex-boyfriend would eat on an average day. And, yeah, he was rail thin.
  • themonkeybear
    Options
    *extends hand to help you back up onto the wagon*

slips happen... and are probably unavoidable unless you're living in a household of people who have ALL "unplugged" from the "food-machine" in our (U.S) culture.

and hey - fried chicken tastes good!... right? It hits all those pleasure buttons:
    mmm.. salt... sweet... carby.

but look at it in that light only: "Pleasure"... Eating a deep fried piece of meat doesn't do much in the way of keeping your body machine working.

example:
    (At his behest) - I have to take my dad, (dying from esophogeal cancer as a result of a bad / gluttonous diet) - fried chicken ever Friday providing he's not too sick from his treatments.

(sidenote - caring for him every day has been a huge motivator for me to completely unplug my brain and re-think food).

Anyway - I'll sit and enjoy it with him... But one or two pieces... no fries... and totally take my time eating it - enjoying every bite - really TASTING it.... at the risk of sounding crude, (unintentionally) : I treat that kinda stuff more like sex that a meal.

It's higher calorie sure - but I make up for it later - not because I'm fretting about my "calorie sin" - but instead focusing on what my body needs: "holy $#@$@#$, I haven't had my 5 servings of Veggies today!)..

I'm fumbling around with the psychology of all this - haven't figured out how to articulate it all - (But will keep working on it - along with my BMI!).

So don't sweat it lady... have a seat here on the wagon... I've saved you a seat!

*monkeybear hands cloe a piece of fruit*

:-)

:flowerforyou:
  • NurseBarb
    NurseBarb Posts: 183 Member
    Options

Medium bag Combos
    6 Oreos
    Moon Pie
    Tiramisu

12 rolls with honey butter!!! OMG!!! I don't know where you would put that! I can only eat like 4 when we go to O' CHarleys and I bet your not as big as my left leg!!! *Casta faints*
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

Medium bag Combos
    6 Oreos
    Moon Pie
    Tiramisu

12 rolls with honey butter!!! OMG!!! I don't know where you would put that! I can only eat like 4 when we go to O' CHarleys and I bet your not as big as my left leg!!! *Casta faints*

I went to Texas Roadhouse and OMG their rolls are so good!!! I felt SO awful after all that food haha....just exhausted :tongue: For my birthday this year, I'm planning on Egg in a Frame with TONS of butter, Macado's mac and cheese (has chicken and broccoli in it!), and chocolate for sure. Haven't decided on what else hehe :bigsmile:
  • GinaB30
    GinaB30 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow is a new day! You can do it, you can do it, you can you can! (Anyone see that episode of three's company!) haha =o)))
    YOU CAN!
    A cheat day is allowed here and there, so long as you get right back up and do better the next day!
  • brazeaut
    brazeaut Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Everyone has those days and I love everything everyone has said here!!! Also, I like the idea of letting hubby and daughter know that treats can come in all forms. I also think that remembering to maybe do smaller portions knowing that you are indulging would help. Say, one piece of chicken not two. Or I had fries at lunch so better not do it again at dinner. And maybe suggesting more communication with daughter and hubby so they don't both do it on the same day.

All in all, the fact that you came here instead of wallowing is a great sign. No worries. Monkey bear has put you back on the wagon so you should be good to go girl!!!!:wink:
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    We all do it. No biggie. You enjoyed your time with your daughter. That is reward enough. Just start back up tomorrow.
    I did it big time with brownies and white Russians. I enjoyed it, and now I back on track. (1/2 batch of brownies and 1/2 bottle of vodka, 1/3 bottle of Kahlua)
  • Lavendersunday
    Lavendersunday Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Fall off the horse - GET BACK ON and ride like the wind:tongue:
  • Uptownerd
    Uptownerd Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've been having many days where I have fallen off the wagon lately. Don't stress, it would happen to at least 99% of all people dieting. You can't change the past, you can only change the future - so keep on plugging away. You are human after all! And look at it this way, at least you are watching what you eat....... how many people out there don't even do that? You're doing something about it, be proud of that :D
  • Cloe
    Options
    Thank you people, I have gone downstairs and did 63 minutes on the treadmill and 15 on stationary bike and crunches on my ab chair.

Thanks so much for the encouragement, it means alot!:smile:
  • lockedcj7
    lockedcj7 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I had a bad day yesterday because my wife is sick, it was snowing and I was taking care of my boy all day. We sat around and watched TV because of the bad weather. We did wrestle a lot but it wasn't really good exercise. I also ate everything in the house, including two throw pillows and an afghan.

I'm not going to freak out about it. I'm just being extra careful today and I know tomorrow will be better.

FWIW - rotisserie chicken is one of my weaknesses. How do you not eat the skin?
  • msrn8143
    msrn8143 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Stop beating yourself up! We all slip up from time to time. :noway: All you can do is pick yourself up and get back on track. One day isn't going to make or break your diet. It's the prolonged journey that matters. Smile. Take a deep breath and tell yourself you can do this!:smile: