Eat Before or After a Workout?

Options
Hello,

I'm still pretty new to MFP and to working out in general. I'm just curious, should you eat before or after you work out?

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help!

Replies

• niclagi
    niclagi Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I eat something 30-60 mins before a strenuous workout and normally have some chocolate milk (good protein) after.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Carbs before

Protein after.
  • HotSouthernMess
    HotSouthernMess Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    i will typically eat something with protein before i go to the gym like a pack of almonds and then when i get home i will eat my meal to refuel. but it also depends on what time i exercise. i would recommend if you can to eat something high in protein before exercise because you will burn it off during your workout anyway but it will keep you going!
  • naomimoan91
    Options
    Hello,

I'm still pretty new to MFP and to working out in general. I'm just curious, should you eat before or after you work out?

always eat at least an hour before a workout, especially if its an early morning workout, otherwise it can cause dizzy spells/ make you pass out/be sick...

as for eating afterwards.... i usually wait about half an hour at least really... unless i get something healthy to snack on such as carrots, celery etc....

hope this helps xx
  • KTCali
    KTCali Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I eat after my workout, I find that if I eat before I feel too heavy when I work out...but I also do it first thing in the a.m. to make sure I get it out of the way. I also just read an article about this, here you go...
    :happy:

http://health.yahoo.net/experts/healthieryou/7-secrets-slim-people
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    ALWAYS eat before or you'll pass out ha! I find the gym so much easier in the afternoon when I've got some food in my belly! At the same time always leave it 2 hours after you've eaten a big meal before exercising!

I'm not really hungry after a workout for about 3 hours but if I am a pear usually does the trick!
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    Unless you're seriously hungry, you should try to avoid eating before a workout unless its your normal meal or snack. The point is to burn calories, but if you eat beforehand, there's no point. I try to assume a general meal structure throughout the day with an additional low calorie lean protein drink from GNC immediately post-workout to help with recovery. If you're often hungry because its around dinner time, sub out a large meal for a snack pre-workout and a small meal post-workout...

If I work out 1) first thing in the morning or 2) until I get dizzy, I eat a easily digestible fruit and nut bar. Anything more volume wise can be bad during a workout...

Good luck!
  • bradspace
    bradspace Posts: 54
    Options
    A lot of it depends on what you are eating and what type of exercise you are doing. If you are looking at strenuous cardio with lots of moving/jumping/kicking/etc, then you want to eat at least 60 minutes before and nothing heavy. If you are doing strength training then you can eat a little heavier and a little closer to workout. Regardless, I agree with kimmerroze in that you want to go carbs prior and protein after. If you decide not to eat at all before, then when eating after, go with a good blend of carbs/protein.
  • Akayen
    Akayen Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I snack 30-45 mins before a workout, usually fresh fruit or half a sandwich. Then I drink a Slimfast afterward within 30 mins. I time me workouts so I usually won't have large meals before or after my exercise within 2 hours so I don't feel like I'm stuffing my face and making my body burn less fat cals.
  • monicaP413
    monicaP413 Posts: 165
    Options
    I work out first thing in the morning and I do it to a workout dvd, so I don't have time to wait 30-60 minutes. I eat a half a banana or some other fruit right before I workout and it works for me. I feel sick if I don't eat anything before.
  • Beachbride07
    Beachbride07 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the suggestions. I've just joined a local gym and my "plan" (because I haven't started it yet) is to work out 3 EARLY am's and 2 evenings, mostly cardio-light strength training. I'll probably use a combination of things, just needed a little insight.

Thanks again!
  • danipals
    danipals Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I follow the advice of Bill Phillips, the Body-for-Life guy, and do cardio first thing in the morning on an empty stomach and then don't eat for about an hour afterward. Supposedly this will help burn more fat. On Strength days I eat a carb/protein when I get up and then within an hour afterward I have a Myoplex protein shake that has 20 g of protein and 20g carbs.

Good Luck!
  • flinchyny
    flinchyny Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    >>The point is to burn calories, but if you eat beforehand, there's no point. <<

I respectfully disagree.

First, it's all about your net calories for the day, not when you eat those calories. Yes, there would be no point to eat 200 additional calories and then go do a 200-calorie-burning workout. But if those 200 calories you ate beforehand were part of your normal daily eating, then there is no problem with eating them!

Second, as many people have pointed out in this thread already, eating something before a workout can give you the energy you need to do the workout.
  • atamas
    atamas Posts: 10
    Options
    In my opinion, it is not good to work work out within an hour of a meal. That's because your stomach has not had enough time process the food and under stress it will likely make you feel nauseous and might reject it (if you know what I mean). Furthermore the energy from that recently eaten food is not in your system yet. You won't feel strong.

Therefore work out a couple of hours after a good meal. You won't feel nauseous and you'll have energy.

I have some additional thoughts.

You should try to work out in the morning, first thing before breakfast. However, what I found was that I don't have as much power/energy in the morning since I have not eaten anything since the evening. While a morning workout is great to burn fat (because natural sugar is low in the body), I found it to not be very good for the weight lifting part of the workout.

So the solution that works for me is to eat a full slice of whole wheat bread right before I go to the gym in the morning. I eat it with a table spoon of Olive Oil. I got the idea from Dr. Oz who suggested to do this when you're really hungry which will prevent you from overeating.

The benefit that I found by doing this that it both gives me energy from good complex carbs at the right time and I also take in the good/healthy type of fat. If there is a drawback it's that the calorie hit is about 150 calories depending on the bread type.
  • atamas
    Options
    I eat something 30-60 mins before a strenuous workout and normally have some chocolate milk (good protein) after.

While Chocolate Milk has some good protein in it, the overall Calorie and most importantly Sugar content renders the food less than desirable as part of a healthy diet.

The point about Protein is however valid. One should have an easily digestible Protein food immediately after a workout. Whey Protein is the best.
  • Beachbride07
    Beachbride07 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You suggested Whey Protein... in what? Water? Milk?
  • atamas
    Options
    You suggested Whey Protein... in what? Water? Milk?

Whey Protein mixed with water is the healthiest. I found that using a shaker works well. You'll get the consistency of chocolate milk that way otherwise the drink will be lumpy. Costco has the Muscle Milk Whey Protein 6lb bag for $35 or so.