Pizza Lovers!

Options

Replies

• TacoGibbons
    TacoGibbons Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried the pizza with a cauliflower crust? Being from Chicago, I was very skeptical, but it was actually quite good. I didn't get it firm enough the first time, but the taste was so good, I tried it a second.

Is this a store bought or homemade crust? Do you have a recipe? Sounds awesome! I go back to my hometown Chicago for a visit tomorrow-Tuesday...I am gonna need a distraction from all the glorious pizza options.

@orginal poster: If you're a fan of asparagus that's my new favorite pizza topping. Or eggplant--it's so meaty and nommm! My favorite pizza is: speghetti sauce, a huge layer of spinach, mozz cheese, asparagus and eggplant (cooked prior to baking in olive oil spray ang garlic) and some shaved parm and lemon juice to top it off. MMM!

Sometimes I'll just make a feta and olive oil pizza and dump a huge salad of greens (argula especially!!) on top and top that with balsamic vinegar.
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I like pizza with pineapple and ham. :)

But, there's also turkey pepperoni (by Hormel, I believe). It's regular-sized pepperoni slices and you get 17 of them for 70 calories!
  • blackpearlgrl
    blackpearlgrl Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I was watching a program and they used a portabella mushroom for the crust. First they removed the stem placed pizza sauce, a serving of string cheese, and cut the stem to put on the pizza, 4 olives, and used turkey pepperoni (which is supposed to taste good). Then bake it at 350. It is supposed to b:glasses: e around 118 calories. Haven't tried it yet but sounds good if you like mushrooms.
  • StephanieJ82
    Options
    Pesto Pita Pizza. mmmm... A staple in our home

a whole whete pita
    2 Tbsp of pesto sauce
    crumbled feta
    left over chicken (or not?)
    diced tomato

uaually a whole pita is anywhere between 370-550 calories depending on what i add

sometimes i add a few chopped up marinated artichoke hearts if i can spare the calories. they are full of flavour
    red bell peppers..

5o9pw6.jpg
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Joseph's Lavash (100 calories and it's huge), store bought pizza sauce (40 calories for 1/4 cup), 1/2 cup low fat cheese (usually mix Cheddar and Mozzarella--about 70 calories), turkey pepperoni (70 calories)--YUMMY.

I also do buffalo chicken and barbecue chicken the same way (just changing the sauce and swap out the pepperoni for chicken).
  • Cathy92
    Cathy92 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    May I ask what your 160 calorie crust is? I'd love to know!

But I put on my pizza -- sauce, zuchinni, roasted red peppers, artichokes, pineapple, feta cheese, and mushrooms! SOOOO good!

Great ideas, I'll definitely try. Lots of possibilities for me..The crust is called "Udi's gluten free foods...Gluten free pizza crusts" ...My daughter bought a package of 2 at Whole Foods..She uses them as she can't eat gluten or wheat, so gave me one to try. Haven't tasted it yet, but it's fairly low in calories. It's gluten free, soy free, dairy free and nut free.
  • tammy32
    tammy32 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    bump.....for later. All sounds great...:smile:
  • Cathy92
    Options
    Black pearl girl, I love mushrooms and cook with them almost every day, so your recipe sounds amazing.

Also, the cauliflower crust recipe given here looks mouth watering. Can't wait to get cooking!

Thanks everyone for submitting your ideas here, I really do appreciate it. Been too busy (new grandson) to really research recipes and I love it that you have all given me your favourites..
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    all this talk about pizza I had to stop and get a little caesars on the way home. I had room in my calories, so 2 pieces for me!
  • kiplittle
    kiplittle Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Cathy, I understand, I really do. I too am managing my diet well - day after day, BUT if you were to put a pizza in front of me . . . well, I would try just to eat 1 piece (1 piece is fine) but then the next piece would taunt me "eat me, eat me" . . . hmmm

So, my suggestion to you (and I apologise if it seems simplistic) is:

1) make you own pizza, and
    2) make it a single serving - a mini pizza
    . . or ony buy a single slice

Enjoy it (its pizza) and enjoy knowing that there is no second serving to taunt you :-)
  • prissylaine
    Options
    Hungry Girl also makes Pizza Bella which is under 300 calories. You make the pizza out of a portabello mushroom cap, use low fat or fat free mozzarella, and turkey pepperoni and some sauce. I had it twice this week, and it was pretty tasty!
  • mikaylav3
    mikaylav3 Posts: 15
    Options
    I love all kinds of pizza, but my favorite lately is without sauce. One of the best combinations is when I spread some EVOO and garlic on the crust and top with low fat mozzarella, turkey sausage, and sauteed red peppers and onions. Sometimes I'll do the same thing but with broccoli instead of red peppers. Delish!
  • bksteve26
    bksteve26 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I make english muffin pizzas! They are awesome. I just take the healthy life or weight watchers english muffins, put a tablespoon of pasta on top, chop onions, peppers, and mushrooms, and use a little weight watchers cheese. Sometimes I splurge and put olives on there too. Just throw them in the the oven for maybe 5 min and then broil for like two min. Delicious! Super easy! And then you can stop yourself from making a whole pizza and feeling compelled to eat it all. This way you basically make it by the slice. They are awesome!
  • Cathy92
    Options
    Yes, I think my only option is to make a single portion sized pizza. I like the idea of English muffins
    Hroush, sorry to start such a 'tempting' thread...lol
    I wanted to make pizza tonight, but hubby wants steak, so I think I'll start a Friday night pizza night. Going shopping today to get some ingredients mentioned here.
    Funny, on my weight loss regime, I don't feel like I'm missing anything else. I can do without icecream, chocolate, baked goods, chips and fries...I really don't care. But, I can't do without pizza. I used to order a large pizza for my hubby and myself and of course, I would eat my half and 1/2 of his!
  • topazzzoe
    topazzzoe Posts: 12
    Options
    I LOVE PIZZA!!

I make my own crust with half unbleached flour and half whole wheat. I just follow the directions on the yeast package. I roll the crust out nice and thin and top it with smashed fire roasted tomatoes (hunts makes them) for my sauce and top with low fat mozzeralla. I like to season the top with pepper, garlic, and basil when I have it. Then I bake it until crisp. If I am in the mood for toppings I will load up the veggies.

Its not as much work as it looks like and completely worth it. I serve it to the family and they love it because it is good and don't even know it is good for them.
  • jlzrdking
    jlzrdking Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Saving for later
  • scotty_81
    scotty_81 Posts: 59
    Options
    Here are two vegetarian pizza recipes that I have tried. Both are delicious. The first one is a perfect pizza margherita. I use only a dash of oil in the tomato sauce and half fat mozzarella and it is delicious. The whole thing comes in at about 550 cals (per pizza). http://vegetariansweettooth.blogspot.com/2011/01/perfect-pizza.html

The second recipe is a newer find. It is a filo based 'tart' but honestly it is a really good pizza substitute and it is about 420 cals for the whole thing. http://vegetariansweettooth.blogspot.com/2011/04/red-onion-tomato-and-mozzarella-filo.html

Enjoy!
  • TonyaJ83
    TonyaJ83 Posts: 155
    Options
    I am vegan. I order pizza without cheese! Just sauce & lots of veggies & garlic. BOMB!! I allow myself 2-3 pieces. I take small bites, chew for a long time & sometimes have a green salad with no dressing with it.
  • ninpiggy
    ninpiggy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    You could try putting pesto on to replace the sauce and some roasted vegetables (i.e. artichokes, red onions, bell peppers, etc.). Kashi makes a pizza like that, but I think it would taste even better homemade!
  • meadows654
    meadows654 Posts: 164
    Options
    BUMP!