Tilapia..making it tasty but low in fat

Options
Hi Everyone,
I am new to the boards! I love this site!

I have recently bought some Tilapia. I need some inventive ways to cook it.
I am not a huge fish fan but I do need to get more of it in my diet.
Any ideas from all of you would be greatly appreciated!
:flowerforyou:

Replies

• amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    check out the earlier post Tilapia help. Great ideas.
  • forty3fab
    forty3fab Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    At my house we love blackened tilapia fish tacos! They are yummy! Serve that with a little mango cilanto salsa and you have a wonderful dinner.
  • might4
    might4 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Some of my favorite ways:

Lemon pepper seasoning and baked in the oven
    Wrapped in tinfoil with tomatoes and onions (and any other veggies you want) and then grilled or baked
    Pan sauted with lemon and capers and a splash of white wine
  • traceysturn
    traceysturn Posts: 196
    Options
    I just bake it in a glass baking dish for 20min or so - till it flakes. I flavor many different ways-
    Olive oil w/ dill weed & lemon juice/slices S&P
    Olive oil w/ Old Bay Seasoning

or my new fav is fish tacos - use taco seasoning - bake & then break up & serve on low cal tortillas w/ all your fav taco fixens ...
    GOOD STUFF!
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I've got a couple.

Put a Tbsp of olive oil in a saute pan, heat to medium-high. Season the tilapia with your favorite dry seasonings. I typically avoid salt, so I opt for garlic powder, onion powder, and a little cayenne. Put the fish in the pan, saute on each side for 3-4 minutes. Delicious.

Also try:
    - dipping the fish in an egg white wash, then into whole wheat bread crumbs. Spritz with Pam, then bake in a pre-heated oven at 425 for about 7 minutes.
    - Season with a salt-free fish seasoning, then grill
    - You mentioned you're not a fan of fish, so this would be my last suggestion due to the fact that the this method retains a pretty strong fish essence, but it's very low fat. Use a sheet of tinfoil, spritz with Pam. Put the fish in it with a couple slices of onion, garlic, and lemon wedges. Seal up the tinfoil sheet to make a packet (just fold over, then fold just the edges to create an envelope. Either bake in a hot oven (450) or on a hot grill until the fish flakes easily. Typically that's about 6 minutes.

Good luck!
  • ecaz
    ecaz Posts: 115
    Options
    I coat it in Dijon mustard then in panko breadcrumbs then pan fry it in a couple tablespoons of olive oil - in a non-stick pan.
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I crush a garlic cube, mix it with 2 tbsp of low sodium soy sauce, the juice of half a lime (or more depending on taste) and a tiny bit of olive oil (not even a teaspoon). Spoon some over the tilapia and sprinkle with sesame seeds and bake in oven until its cooked through (about 8 minutes) Serve with the extra sauce if you want. I Love this recipe, so healthy and easy, but really flavorful.
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Tilapia is amazing fish. It's so mild that whatever you use it takes on that flavor. Let your imagination go crazy with spices. I like to just do garlic, fresh lemon, thyme...it's great.
  • Justin741
    Justin741 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Search BUffalo tiplipia either on here or google, looks good but I haven' ttried it. WE cook it a lot of the time with just Tony's added and its so yummy!
  • travelprincess
    travelprincess Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Squeeze a little lemon over it, coat with Panko bread crumbs and bake.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I like it best baked with some lemon juice drizzled on top, and a coating of panko breadcrumbs. I just get those little plastic lemons, because I'm lazy. Margarita mix works in a pinch, too! :drinker:

Also yummy with a coating of crushed tortilla chips (only need about 5) and a tablespoon of salsa on top.

Also yummy with teriyaki marinade. Or Thai peanut marinade. Or pretty much any marinade under the sun. :happy:
  • lisabernard
    lisabernard Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have never been a fish fan before. But, I've been buying the already encrusted Tilapa from the store in the frozen foods. Just place on a cookie sheet and bake. It's yummy! The have "Treasures of the Sea, Parmesan encrusted Tilapia" at our Wal Mart and there is a "Tortillia encrusted Tilapia" at our Costco.

- Lisa