What is really worth spending $$ on?

Options
I have some extra money and was sure I would spend it on a HRM. But now I am looking at all the different HRMs I cannot decide what to get. It is all sooo confusing. I am losing weight very well without one so maybe its not necessary after all. Is there anything else that is a "must have"?

Replies

• Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    A food scale.

Other than that, not so much. I use encyclopaedias for weights, for instance.
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I looooooove my heart rate monitor. Next to the gym its been the most helpful thing I've spent money on.
  • jparson714
    jparson714 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have a HRM... bought mine at Walmart for $45 and have no complaints!
    I also recommend the food scale, if you don't have one.
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I do have a food scale and I LOVE it.
  • LindaSueBakk
    LindaSueBakk Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    An HRM is worth the money. I love my Polar f4t - around $100 is a sporting goods store, cheaper online.
  • queen220
    queen220 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have been using the Polar F6 HR monitor for 4 yrs. Best investment. I'd be lost w/o it.
  • shanny78
    shanny78 Posts: 2
    Options
    Protein...Protein...Protein. It is the key to success. It is really not necessary to use a heart rate monitor. Zumba is also pretty awesome.
  • lnadeau66
    lnadeau66 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Food scale, measuring cups and measuring spoons....theres definitely something to be said for portion control!:smile: Also some type of inhome exercise (ie exercise dvds and my second hand treadmil) has been great for me who has 2 young children and a husband that works shift work.
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I have a HRM... bought mine at Walmart for $45 and have no complaints!
    I also recommend the food scale, if you don't have one.

What HRM do you have, I looked and there are a few on their site in the $45 range?
  • Jacquelyn913
    Jacquelyn913 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Polar HRM, definately worth the money!!
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Before I even purchased an HRM, I bought several cute workout outfits:laugh: !! Nothing like looking and feeling good :bigsmile: & don't forget to buy a real good pair of sneakers!
  • Jacquelyn913
    Jacquelyn913 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    If you decide to get a HRM make sure it has a chest strap, anything cheap will not be worth it in the long run. I learned that the hard way.
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Scale that includes BMI and Fat %, it gives more feedback than just the weightloss.

Gym membership, cute workout gear, good shoes for workouts.

GG
  • husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I bought a Polar ft60 HRM and I absolutely L-O-V-E LOVE it!! It does soooo much and is so specific to you and your heart rate and fitness level and everything. It's wonderful for keeping you on your plan and for challenging you and for giving an accurate calories burned number after your workouts. Plus everything can be tracked online for free so you can see how you are doing fitness wise. ( you still need MFP for the weight monitoring but polarpersonaltrainer.com tracks your fitness level.)
  • husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    If you decide to get a HRM make sure it has a chest strap, anything cheap will not be worth it in the long run. I learned that the hard way.

me too.
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    don't forget to buy a real good pair of sneakers!

Indeed! I have started running and I was having pain in my calf. Getting fitted for running shoes has kept me at it.

I don't have a HRM yet, but, I have a feeling that once I get closer to my goal, and losing gets harder, I will want one so that I am not just "guessing" at my calorie burn...
  • indigochilds
    indigochilds Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Polar Heart Rate Monitor. I have the FT4. ( its my precious). A food scale. measuring cups/spoons.
  • HungryMom
    HungryMom Posts: 280
    Options
    I could not live without my Polar HRM or my Enell sports bra. I love not having to guess at my calorie burn and am motivated watching the calories add up during my jogs. And OMG did supporting the girls properly make a difference. And once I hit the 40lb mark I am investing in a pair of good running shoes. Whatever you choose, enjoy!
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    people can lose weight without the hrm, thought it might motivate you. i would just get some good equiptment so you can work out at home all the time without getting bored. some ankle weights, a skipping rope etc
  • bluespring
    bluespring Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I bought a Polar ft60 HRM and I absolutely L-O-V-E LOVE it!! It does soooo much and is so specific to you and your heart rate and fitness level and everything. It's wonderful for keeping you on your plan and for challenging you and for giving an accurate calories burned number after your workouts. Plus everything can be tracked online for free so you can see how you are doing fitness wise. ( you still need MFP for the weight monitoring but polarpersonaltrainer.com tracks your fitness level.)

Me too. It's sooo worth the money....
    Get yourself a good HRM...you will not regret it.
    Check out the best deals on Amazon or local sports shops.
    Good luck!
    :bigsmile: