I ran! .... In public!

Options
elvb
elvb Posts: 423 Member
Just an FYI - I'm not a runner. I have never liked to run. When you are over 195 lbs (at 5 ft short) body parts tend to actually hurt when you run. The jiggling caused me pain and was just too uncomfortable so I refused to do it. Never mind the fact that I was too lazy as well.

Anyway, I decided to take a walk this evening. I was getting frustrated with myself for being lazy, so I put on my HRM and headphones and started walking. About 20 minutes into my walk (and about a 5 minute walk from home) I decided to pick up the pace.
I actually started jogging and I did it for a whole minute! I didn't notice the jiggle of my fat (great sign) and my shins didn't hurt like they used to when I would just walk a little faster than normal (awesome!).

I am so proud of myself right now! I am hoping to do this again tomorrow...maybe I'll go for two minutes!!

Replies

• ktmac616
    ktmac616 Posts: 3
    Options
    Congratulations! I'm the same way.. my fat jiggles all the time!
  • nancymmorris
    Options
    Great job!! Congratulations!!
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    *high five* this is great!!!! I started running at about 200 lbs so i totally understand the discomfort but i'm so proud of you for getting other there and running! Way to go!!!
  • lillypatty
    lillypatty Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Congrats girl! I weigh more than you and started jogging my self..i like to measure in distance..when i can run perimeter's of soccer fields it feels awesome! I didn't like running before either but the thrill of pushing myself just a little bit further and knowing i can brings great satisfaction! Keep it up you'll be joining marathons :)
  • NoExcuseTina
    NoExcuseTina Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    that is AWESOME...keep up the good, hard work!!!!!
  • mwilson57
    mwilson57 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    That is wonderful! Great Job and keep it up! Hopefully I'll get over my fear of running and excercising in public soon. Right now I just work out in my living room, hopefully once the weather clears up I'll be brave enough to excercise outside.
  • az1cowgirl
    Options
    Whoo Hoo!!! Good for you! Just think, this will give you more confidence to do it more often!!
  • Monda
    Monda Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    WTG! That sounds just like me. I am really beginning to like running. Especially, when I see an improvement in my fitness level. So proud for you! Keep it up. :happy: :happy:
  • cmg4721
    cmg4721 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    that's such a fantastic feeling!!! i was never a runner either, but just tried out walking/jogging a little yesterday, and like you, i think i might try it again :) great job! keep up the great work!!
  • Hyster1
    Hyster1 Posts: 75
    Options
    Great Job!!!!
  • bebababy
    bebababy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    so awesome!! i am like you 205lbs i am 5'4. i have started jogging on the treadmill- still not comfortable running on a trail. i am following a program to get me running a 5k which i am excited about. it does feel like you are going to die at times but i do feel better after. i have to get into a zone! i actually close my eyes and envision myself looking like serena williams body running rofl!!!

good luck to all the runners on this page. i am so proud of each of you even though i don't know you personally we are all on the same journey and that makes us kindred spirits!
  • deboyd5004
    deboyd5004 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I totally know how you feel! I'm the same weight as you and only 2 inches taller :). Last summer I started running and got up to 2.5 miles every day (I just started again, was really lazy during the winter).

I wouldn't worry about exercising in public too much. I used to, but then I realized, I might be 195 lbs, but at least I'm out here exercising and not sitting at home on my rear. Plus, I also liked to think that half the people who looked at me strange probably couldn't run half the time I could, AND if a bear chased us...I'd totally survive :). lol.
    On a side not: I used to run at night in town at the base of a mountain. A bear walked right into our hospital once.
  • 2girls4boys
    2girls4boys Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Yay! I used to hate running. I always thought it was pointless. I started doing c25k and am on week 3. I really like it. I won't ever win a race or anything, but I love the feeling I have after. I can feel myself getting stronger.
  • elvb
    elvb Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I am looking forward to tomorrow!
    I wouldn't worry about exercising in public too much. I used to, but then I realized, I might be 195 lbs, but at least I'm out here exercising and not sitting at home on my rear. Plus, I also liked to think that half the people who looked at me strange probably couldn't run half the time I could, AND if a bear chased us...I'd totally survive :). lol.
    On a side not: I used to run at night in town at the base of a mountain. A bear walked right into our hospital once.

Wow about the bear! lol Scary!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!