Have a Laborious job and wanna know how many calories you bu

Options
So I work for 5 1/2 hours a day in a garden center (new job), and push/pull heavy carts throughout the day loaded down with dirt and plants. I also have to load/unload said plants. I often am winded and sweating. So I know I must be burning calories, duh. :wink: Just wondering if anyone else has a job like this and has calculated how many calories and what gadget you used to do so. I wanna buy one, but want to make sure I purchase an accuate one. Thanks!

Replies

• sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    heart rate monitor
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Would be easier just to adjust your activity level.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    You should change your activity level to active.
  • ChassityGetsFit
    ChassityGetsFit Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I suggest adjusting your activity level under stetting for this sort of lifestyle! :)
  • kswizzy
    kswizzy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have the SAME question... only I CANT change my activity level to active because 5 days out of the week I have a desk job But ON WEEKENDS i work at a catering place... and it might be just saturday or saturday and sunday (depending) but on those days I am carrying heavy trays and running around getting stuff on my feet... and maybe even up and down stairs (depending on where i'm catering out).

How do I calculate???
    (and i dont have money for a heart rate monitor.. If I had any money for things like that, I wouldnt be working an extra job doing catering)
  • deannarey13
    deannarey13 Posts: 452
    Options
    I have the SAME question... only I CANT change my activity level to active because 5 days out of the week I have a desk job But ON WEEKENDS i work at a catering place... and it might be just saturday or saturday and sunday (depending) but on those days I am carrying heavy trays and running around getting stuff on my feet... and maybe even up and down stairs (depending on where i'm catering out).

How do I calculate???
    (and i dont have money for a heart rate monitor.. If I had any money for things like that, I wouldnt be working an extra job doing catering)

I would just up your intake a few hundred calories on those days, if not a bit more depending on how laborous the job is. I wouldn't worry if your diary shows an overage those days, but it's what your body needs.
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options

How do I calculate???

Well, what if the answer to your queston is one you don't want??? The only way I know of to accurately gauge calories burned over a period of inconsistent activity is ........ummm..with a HRM. Sorry.
  • ZombieChica
    Options
    heart rate monitor

Yes, but which one? And brand suggestions? And I am at active already, still get hungry though lol.
  • kswizzy
    kswizzy Posts: 15 Member
    Options

How do I calculate???

I would just up your intake a few hundred calories on those days, if not a bit more depending on how laborous the job is. I wouldn't worry if your diary shows an overage those days, but it's what your body needs.

Thank you for the input! lol rather than being unhelpful and telling me to go buy something I can in no way afford. That's what I've been doing is just upping my cals on those days some (which makes sense since I tend to be hungrier anyway!).

appreciate the input!
  • savannahgro
    savannahgro Posts: 113 Member
    Options

How do I calculate???

I haven't checked in the database, but what if you logged your catering days as some sort of cardio? I'm sure even if you just logged it as walking, you'd get a general idea of what you burn so you aren't over eating on days you work there. Also, I know you say you don't have money for a HRM but even if you just bought a super cheap pedometer, you could get a general idea of how many steps you take/calories burned. i initially picked up a New Balance one at Target for around $15....