when will it feel like routine????

Options
I feel like everyday is a task to stay on task with my calories and working out... When does it start to feel like habit? I know Im just getting started I just wanted to see how long it took for everyone else to feel like it was finally just habbit? Is there an light at the end of the tunnel?? Dont get me wrong I am feeling better everyday but it sure is hard... I just keep telling myself nothing tastes better then skinny feels!!!!

Replies

• NurseChristy3
    NurseChristy3 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Im not sure about the calories because obviously thats a weakness...but for me I kept setting goals on my exercise and meeting them...so then I would set a new goal and meet that one as well. Although it may not neccessarly be ROUTINE...I am certainly ADDICTED to my calorie burn and the idea of burning thru my goals as well!
  • lenaparent
    Options
    I read somewhere that it takes about two weeks to make or break a habit, how long have you been at it?
  • gooberr4
    gooberr4 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    it takes 2-3 weeks for it to feel like habit but it honestly took me more like 2 months. Once you start seeing results you'll want to keep with it.

hang in there!! you can do it!!!
  • nseuell
    nseuell Posts: 110
    Options
    It's hard to put a number to it...everyone is different...but by about week 3 of being consistent I felt like it was habit. :) Good luck! Just keep going!
  • eau_de_vie
    eau_de_vie Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    This was just something I DID for 2-3 weeks. At about 4-5 weeks it became who I am. It's different for everyone. Old habits are hard to break and you really have to muscle through until you get to that point....but you WILL...eventually. Keep it up!!!
  • melzteach
    melzteach Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    It took me about 3 months of working hard, even when I didn't want to and telling myself that this is just something that I do. I eat breakfast every morning, I brush my teeth regularly, and I exercise and eat healthy.
    I have to say that my main motivator for exercising, at first, was the privilege of earning more calories! I love to eat! Some days were A LOT harder than others but I told myself if the people on The Biggest Looser and Heavy can do it then I sure can!
  • vette49
    vette49 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    It took me about two weeks.
  • jmhigg1020
    jmhigg1020 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    For me, it's when I'm not having to think so much about the food. I am tracking every calorie, but I have a better idea of what I need to be doing and which choices are quicker to make. The start is the hardest - debating over every calorie.....after you have eaten it.....to the middle where you are checking as you add it in with a general idea of what you are doing.....to the end when you know what your repertoire is. Good luck!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this for 7 months...although I don't moan and groan on my way down the stairs, I do think twice about doing it still. Like right now, I keep thinking once the kid's in bed I HAVE to go downstairs, I'm still really below my calories, and I'm really not feeling it, but it has to be done....
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... I'm about 6 weeks in to using MFP, and the logging is definitely a routine / habit. I'm looking forward to a time when I get to maintenance and already know the majority of my regular calorie counts off the top of my head. Then I won't have to think so much about food, I can just continue with my good choices.
  • Marisela233
    Marisela233 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    ive been on here 20 days and already im used to it as soon as i eat i want to log in what i eat i think the part that keeps me on track most of the time is that people can see my diary i dont want to let myself down and it feels nice when your friends praise your good work :) the excercise is the one that im still not used to im getting there but not quite... Good luck!
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I think it all depends on your philosophy & desire. I LOVE working out & MFP and I love entering everything (Im a little OCD about it) BUT i will also say that I started MFP after already loosing 45 lbs, I had decided to make a LIFE change Im not on a diet of any kind yes I use supplements and make better choices but not an outlined-by-some-expert diet or fitness plan
  • GinjaNinja1
    GinjaNinja1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have found that it takes a good three weeks to start the habit. One way to keep motivated is by noticing the differences your body is going through. Take your weight each day, feel the muscles starting to tone. It becomes addictive. Only think about excercise, and keep your eye on the goal.
  • JennS19
    JennS19 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    For me it took a least a full 2 weeks before things started to get easier for me and i didn't have the late night cravings. when you get like that pick up water, or a healthy snack. You can do this. come to the board for motivation and get friends to hold you accountable. You can do this!
  • noltes2
    noltes2 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    It took two weeks to get in the habit of logging everything I eat. However, it has been 2.5 months of logging 90% of the time and I STILL struggle to stay under my calorie goals every day. That habit has not stuck yet lol

But either way, being aware of what you eat makes you make more well rounded choices. So learning to log is the first habit.
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Options
    I've been exercising and lossing weight for a 1 year and 4 months execise is mostly easy it becomes part of who you are pretty fast, but I never take more than 1 day off at a time scares me to think i might stop. Food,eating better and being careful about how much, is still hard somedays. I think, I want,need, deserve to eat what I want and you know what someday I do just that. but again I never let that happen 2 days in a row. I'm so much happier and live at this weight than i was. so I stick to the plan for me.