Couch to 5k - how hard was it for you?

Options
I'm going to start C25K as soon as the belt I ordered for running shows up in a week-ish (have nothing that doesn't bounce around to run with before that) and I'm slightly nervous. I ran for about a year a few years ago, and was decent at it, but I'm really out of shape now (have been doing some walking to try to get a little more in shape before starting) and I'm wondering if those who have successfully done the whole thing would mind giving me an idea of how challenging they found it. Thanks very much!

:heart: -- Juliet

Replies

• Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    replying because i'm also starting soon and interested to know this! i'm also suffer from asthma and very high HR ONLY when I run, so anybody who has experience with that - please post!
  • mejustmichael
    mejustmichael Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Im doing it now... Im about to start week 3 although this is my 4th week doing it... I didnt feel comfortable moving to week 2 so i did week 1 for 2 weeks.

And well... I dont run... I have never in my life been able to run more then a few seconds... but the program is amazing. You really start to feel yourself improving.

Just stick with it... and if your not ready to move on... go a few more times or another week with the same podcast... also i found it easyer to run on a treadmill because im not as likely to cheat and it helps you keep your pace. oh and sing, read, or recite a poem to help you with breathing while running...

one last thing... DONT TRY TO KEEP TIME! i find it makes me want to quit sooner. anywho... hope that helps...

You can do it... We are all here for you.
  • Castonguay
    Options
    I just did it. Now mind you I am an avid backpacker, but not in the greatest cardiovascular shape. I started by doing interval runs. Meaning I'd walk for 5-6 mins and then run quite fast for 1 minute. I'd do this 5 times for 2 weeks, just to get myself started. Then I started running a 2 miler nice and slow, but not stopping and not walking. In about a month I ran a 5k with hills and it felt great. No problems what so ever. I took the day off yesterday and plan on doing it again tonight.
    Cheers for trying, take it slow, and listen to your body, especially your knees.
  • mejustmichael
    mejustmichael Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    replying because i'm also starting soon and interested to know this! i'm also suffer from asthma and very high HR ONLY when I run, so anybody who has experience with that - please post!

I do too... try going slower or control your breathing by singing to yourself... it sounds really odd... but it helped me...
  • sirphilipe
    sirphilipe Posts: 43 Member
    Options

I do too... try going slower or control your breathing by singing to yourself... it sounds really odd... but it helped me...

This is why the military have marching/jogging songs (cadence). actually for 2 reasons. It keeps people for the most part in step and also to help control breathing etc. Also takes your mind off the fact that you are jogging.
  • 5891ben
    5891ben Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It's a brilliant program so stick it out til the end. I went from out of breath walking up the stairs to running 10k in an hour thanks to it. And all of my 58lb loss in past few months is due to running!

Changed me from a slob to someone who enjoys exercise... Most of the time!
  • neonpink
    neonpink Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on week 5 run 2 so about to run for 8 mins then I have the dreaded 20 min week5 run 3 next :-/ which seems like a massive jump ! When I started however at more than 230lbs!! I struggled running for even a minute. So far I havent missed a run and have found I could complete each one, week 4 did feel quite difficult but I pushed through and week 5 run 1 actually felt a lot easier.
    The runs aren't easy but the programme really does increase your endurance I'm amazed I can run for more than 5 minutes I have never been able to do that, so it definitely works. I would advise you don't worry about your speed you can increase that later just concentrate on building your endurance up.
  • downtome
    downtome Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I have been using the c25k program and I have found that the more I get out there and do it, the better I have become at running longer times and more often. I weigh 258 pounds now and I started doing this when I was 315, I have to say that the more weight I lose, the easier it becomes to run futher and faster. It's a great program and sometimes I will even jog through the walking parts just to see how long I can go. I used to run about 2-3 miles non-stop back when I was 17, I'm 41 now and I actually still enjoy it as much as I did back then. You just have to push yourself once you get out there, first day I did it, I thought I was going to die for those 60 seconds but now, its so much easier. I tell myself, Ok, I'm going to keep jogging till that next trash can, or that next car and I find myself hitting that goal and even passing it. I would like to ask you, what is this belt you ordered and what does it do for running? Good luck...you can do it.

Denise
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options

thank you! i'll try that :)
  • hamsmash
    hamsmash Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Was well into week 3 when I developed piriformis syndrome... benign but utterly annoying. keep those legs stretched out.
  • Sovia
    Sovia Posts: 1
    Options
    hola, dont freak yourself out. i use to HATE running!! im currently deployed, and had gained 15lbs. so, the entire time i've been here that's all i had my mind set on, was to lose weight. needless to say it didnt work. about a month ago, i started enjoying working out. i started running three-four miles a day. like i said, not a runner, never was. i started off slow, my goal would always be to run/jog two miles. it didnt matter how fast i went, i just had to at least jog the entire two miles. the next time i ran i just tired to push myself to run longer or harder even if it was for only three min. at a time. i've only been continuously running for roughly a month and im almost at a 21min. 3mile. i too will be doing my first 5k on the 15th of april. my main obstacles was sticking with it and not getting bored. music is what helped me.
  • kewdevelopments
    Options
    I'm half way through the first week and it feels OK. I feel I want to run more/further but will stick to it so I don't injure myself which is what usually happens when I start running after a long time off.
  • SaraBrown12
    SaraBrown12 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    i am due to start this programme also. i was going to wait until i had finished 30DS however i wanna get out and do it sooner rather then later. I am intrigued about this belt also.
  • justleeanne
    justleeanne Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I have started c25k and done week 1 & 2 runs. I found week 2 easier than week 1 which I was suprised about but then I started having problems with my feet hurting because I didn't have any real running trainers so I am now waiting for my new trainers to come and I have got a nice new pair of running pants ready for action too! I am really dying to get back out and start again. You will be fine, get out there and go for it and I bet you will surprise yourself! :)
  • applesandglue
    Options
    I'm in the middle of week 7 and I'm surprised at how well it's working out. A little over 2 months ago I could barely run for a minute at at ime, now I'm running 25 minutes at a time (or about 2 1/4 miles). I make sure to pace myself, to go slower than I think I should, because I think right now completing the time is more important than how fast and far you go. But it IS doable! Plus I think the way the program is laid out, it motivates me because I can be rather competitive and I want to see if I really can do that first 20 minute run (and I could!), ya know?
  • e1lindsay
    e1lindsay Posts: 230
    Options
    I am starting week 5 today. I did week 1, 2 and 3 with no problem and i am VERY out of shape. It's mostly a mental game for me...week 4 proved too challenging for me, so i repeated week 3. After completing week 4, i feel great! it's getting easier and more enjoyable...and i am somebody who you would NEVER have thought would enjoy running!
    :)
  • seasonalvoodoo
    seasonalvoodoo Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I completed the program in March and also ran a 5K, so the program really works!!

I started running at 258 lbs and could barely make it 60 seconds without feeling like I was going to keel over, but I kept with it. I also got fitted for running shoes and that was really helpful.

I am still a slow runner, but I can now run for about 60 minutes without stopping (and to think, I could barely run for 60 SECONDS before).

I am currently training to run a 10k!

But it was definitely hard in the beginning, but it really kept getting easier. There were some days/weeks where I felt like I couldn't do it, but I'd get out there and finish.
  • ALW65
    ALW65 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who posted-your replys are very encouraging. I did Day 1 today and was surpirsed I was able to do this. Reading about others who started out very out of shape and with a decent amount of weight to lose makes me feel like I'll be able to get through this program. I always worried that my body wouldn't let me run until I shed some of the weight, but I'm learning that even someone my size can make it! I'm starting at 201 lbs. (5'9") and have never, ever run except for gym class - and that was 29 years ago! Thanks again for all your encouraging words!
  • jilld76
    jilld76 Posts: 324
    Options
    I just finished the program today and it's amazing!! When you first get started on those long runs, especially that dreaded 20 minute one at the end of week 5, you think you'll never be able to get through this, but if you just stick with the program you'll get there.

As someone else mentioned, just really focus on keeping your breathing steady, I always cover the time on my treadmill with a magazine because if I see my time, I'm all done.

The best advice I can give is to remember that it's okay to slow your pace down, if you're struggling. I was adamant about not slowing down, just pushing myself to maintain my pace and when i got to the 20 minute run, I just couldn't do it. I made several attempts and decided it was time to slow it down a bit. Not so slow that I'm not still working, but slow enough that I could maintain that pace for a long run.

And now that I'm done, I'm planning to move my runs outside and begin working on my speed.

Good luck, just stick with the program, don't give up and you'll do great!