Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Type II Diabetes and Weight Loss Challenges

Hi! New to the forum and would like to exchange ideas with those with Type II Diabetes, their weight loss challenges, and how they are overcoming some of those challenges via diet and exercise. What's working for you; what isn't; how many days per week of cardio vs weight training, etc.

I've tried a few approaches and just recently begun making some headway on the weight loss. Would appreciate your input.

Shawn

Replies

• kld4239
    kld4239 Posts: 186 Member
    I started my lifestyle change back in June and after 6 months my only regret is not starting sooner :) Since I am a boarderline diabetic I really have to watch what I eat: less sugars and white starches and limit my alcohol consumption. I also learned that when I eat things with more sodium I feel terrible.

Once you start tracking what you are putting into your body and your exercise you will notice trends and what your body reacts positively to. For me eating well w/o exercising doesn't cut it. I have to do at least 5-6 hours of cardio a week to even maintain where I am at and to feel good. I also do yoga 1-2 times per week. You don't burn many calories doing yoga but it stretches out your muscles and makes your body and your mind feel good. Santa bought me a kettle bell and some 5lb hand weights for xmas so I am going to start incorporating some weight training in the mix. I find that changing what you eat and your exercise up every month or two really helps get you out of those times when you get stuck at a certain weight.

Also don't forget to take your measurements. I find that there times when no weight is lost but the inches are melting away and it give me motivation and I don't know about you but I need all the motivation I can get :) Good luck!
  • secostley
    secostley Posts: 409 Member
    Greatly appreciate your words and taking the time to respond. Thanks!
  • bsshaw1
    bsshaw1 Posts: 44 Member
    Hi Shawn,

I was diagnosed with type II diabetes and high blood pressure about a year ago that is currently controlled by oral medication.

I started with the site and my weight loss at the end of November and have been really happy with my results so far.

Right now my only exercise is walking 4 to 6 miles about 3 days a week and 10 to 12 miles 2 days a week. I plan to increase my cardio in the coming months when I feel comfortable doing so.

Since changing my eating habits, I have found that I have been adjusting my medication downward depending on what I eat so my blood sugar doesn't go too low. I'm hoping, like you, that I can get completely off the meds shortly.

I send you a friend request so we can keep track of each other and offer encouragement.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    found out back in Dec. 2009 about my type II diabetes. I have been excercising alot and changed my diet. I completely went cold turkey on soda pop. alot of people here struggle with giving up it up but for me I was easily able to just stop completely. I also do not eat white rice or white bread, doughnuts etc etc. when I do have rice it's brown and with bread, wheat. I've cut back on consumption of those too.

my doctor said when I was first diganosed with it it was actually pretty well controlled and now it's even better. my doctor thinks that if I keep going how I am I should be able to completely go off the meds and simply control it with my diet and excercise.

as for excercise I started a year ago and it was just walking. it would hurt my back alot and I was very out of shape. 1 mile would take me about 45 mins to complete with lots of breaks in between. now I have been actually mixing in jogging, doing a Couch to 5K program. I can almost jog 1/2 a mile w/o stopping. currently my best time is 14 mins for 1 mile and thats with walking/jogging mixed. alot of people advised me against jogging @ my weight. bad for joints etc etc. I have very good shoes for support, and I don't feel any thing on my joints other than just normal fatigue.

I usually average 4-5x a week 1 hr sessions for jogging/walking and I go to the gym for just weights 2x a week.

the best advice I can give you is get a good pair of shoes. find out what type of gait and feet you have. even if it's just walking, having a good pair of comfortable shoes goes a long way and you will be able to go further. good luck ^^
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    lacrolix, congratulations! As for all the people advising you against jogging, I think you're safe as long as you make sure you're doing it correctly.

I have some pretty nasty injuries due to running, but if I had known then what I know now, I wouldn't have changed anything. I loved running too much to stop!

Some easy tips is to start taking joint supplements, such as glucosamine chondroitin and fish oil. This should stave off any joint problems. And, if possible, try jogging on softer surfaces. Avoid pavement if you can. Gravel or dirt is the best bet.

The walking/jogging is actually helping your joints, too, so keep it up!

As for myself, I haven't officially been diagnosed with Type II diabetes, but I've been labelled as "pre-diabetic." High blood sugar is always an issue for me.

My advice for anyone struggling with Type II diabetes: try aiming for foods that have a low glycemic index. You can do a brief internet search on "glycemic index" foods. Foods that have a low glycemic index tend to be high in fiber and (sometimes) more calorie dense, but they are also more filling and keep the blood sugar regulated, which should help with weight loss. They are also naturally more healthy, so anyone--diabetic or not--will benefit from tweaking their diets in this way.
  • secostley
    Brad:

Got your friend message and responded. Please keep me abreast of your efforts and how your medication is coming along. The best of the new year to you.

Shawn
  • secostley
    Enjoyed reading your story! Congrats on the weight loss so far and wish you the best with your running program. I'm jogging myself. My goal is to run a 10-min mile. Currently I'm doing it under 13 minutes.

I gave up soda also. High fructcose corn syrup can really be a weight loss inhibitor. I'm also coming off of the white breads and rice--not doing a lot of carbs.

I need to lose another 20 lbs before I can be reevaluated to come off meds. At 30 lbs, I would be good to go.

Please continue to keep me abreast of your efforts.

Shawn
  • Bree8027
    Bree8027 Posts: 2
    Hi my name is Sabrina and I have also been diagnosed with both Type II diabetes and high blood pressure and I want to know how I can register that into MFP in order to gear this exercise and meal plan towards losing the weight! I've been struggling with these two illnesses for quite some time now so I want to give this my all to get to my goal weight!:smile:
  • Boooie
    Boooie Posts: 110
    Hi there
    i am type 2 also but now ive lost the weight last check i was told one more fasting test in 6 months and if that's the same they will be not classing me as diabetic any more :) So for me it was just about cutting down the rubbish i was eating changing a few things like eating wholemeal bread instead of white and watching the calories and exercise when i can.Just from losing weight ive come of all meds i needed for high bp to so in all its worth making them small changes :)

Mandy x
  • bongowillie
    bongowillie Posts: 35 Member
    i have been a type 2 since 1984, never really took care of it, until i was declared blind in my right eye, did surgiey for blood hemroging, and laser sugery, will go on april 7 for my left eye checkup, but now i am 20/25 with glasses..started working out with my wife in December 2010. i have a FB page Bongo's Diabetic Log that tracks my history. APRIl 2010 my average was 235 blood sugar. NOW:
    Jan-11 126.03
    Feb-11 119.20
    Mar-11 120.50
    Apr-11 97.43
    space
    AVERAGE 112.38

i eliminated all white food bread rice potatoe etc..no sweets..follow the south beach food list..salads with everything that i like, vegetables all kinds, and chicken..and try to eat between 4pm and 6pm, stop at 8pm. my workout for yesterday was

TUESDAY
    500 crunches
    15min glider or burn 200 calories at resistance 50
    15min treadmill or until 100 cal burn
    dumbbells 20/12 20/15 10/20 6/25
    15min suana
    i keep track of all workouts, and blood test everyday..if i do not do this as a LIFE STYLE CHANGE then i would not be typing this because i would be BLIND..DO NOT DO WHAT I WAS DOING WHICH WAS NOTHING..SINCE YOU ARE ON MFP I KNOW THAT YOU WILL HAVE DETERMINATION AND FORTETUD TO BEAT AND CONTROL THE BEAST CALLED DIBIATIS..i am 55 years old and i am better now then when i was in high school..still need to lose 20 pounds. goal is 199