How do I know if I trained too hard?

Options
Today I hurt myself trying to jog a trail. Nothing in particular in the way of injuries... just sore lungs, later sore glutes and immense exaustion, now my sides hurt (12 hrs later). My martial art friend warned that I might be "training too hard" but how do I know if I've done this? It was a 20 min. run... I shouldn't be hurting like this.

Replies

• jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    It really depends on how fit you are.... if you aren't used to intense cardio then it will be tough.

Remember, don't run before you can walk!
  • vodkaswigger
    Options
    Ive started jogging also and on my 3rd day,which was this mornings run i could hardly cope, Legs were killing, still in pain now hours later, i am not an expert but have done a bit of research and apparently its common so i am going to just jog thru it until my fitness levels improve, i will be keeping an eye in this post to see what other people can suggest or advice xx
  • soze
    soze Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Heck I don't know. I can't even judge that on myself. You're only 28 so I will go with maybe you over did it but you'll be fine.
  • missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    have u just started with the running? if so would suggest walking and jogging combined 2 begin with:smile:
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I can easily do 3 mi on a treadmill... swim and use the elliptical.
  • chrisallcock
    Options
    Today I hurt myself trying to jog a trail. Nothing in particular in the way of injuries... just sore lungs, later sore glutes and immense exaustion, now my sides hurt (12 hrs later). My martial art friend warned that I might be "training too hard" but how do I know if I've done this? It was a 20 min. run... I shouldn't be hurting like this.

if it hurts your doing it right :)
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Still in pain from my run yesterday morning... (it went from my lungs, to my glutes, now it's on the sides of my waist and flirting with my lower back...) I'm now humbled to learn my body has boundaries. I will push the boundaries! But first I will take another hot bath and eat breakfast.
  • soze
    soze Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Still in pain from my run yesterday morning... (it went from my lungs, to my glutes, now it's on the sides of my waist and flirting with my lower back...) I'm now humbled to learn my body has boundaries. I will push the boundaries! But first I will take another hot bath and eat breakfast.

This may be your body healing and getting stronger.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Ive started jogging also and on my 3rd day,which was this mornings run i could hardly cope, Legs were killing, still in pain now hours later, i am not an expert but have done a bit of research and apparently its common so i am going to just jog thru it until my fitness levels improve, i will be keeping an eye in this post to see what other people can suggest or advice xx
    You need to take a day of rest and let your legs recover. Otherwise you will not improve.
  • jessecates
    Options
    The way to know if you are training too hard is all about monitoring your breating while you run. For most of your runs you should be running at a pace where you can speak in a sentence. If you find that you are totally out of breath, then you are going too fast and are opening yourself up for an overtraining injury.

Also, it's pretty normal if you haven't been running to be a little sore when you start because you are overworking muscles that are only used to walking. You should make sure you take enough day(s) off in between runs and keep your pace in check. You should also not increase your weekly mileage by more than 10% in a given week. So if you ran 10 miles this week you should at most do 11 miles next week.
  • KarenLouise1981
    Options
    The way to know if you are training too hard is all about monitoring your breating while you run. For most of your runs you should be running at a pace where you can speak in a sentence. If you find that you are totally out of breath, then you are going too fast and are opening yourself up for an overtraining injury.

Also, it's pretty normal if you haven't been running to be a little sore when you start because you are overworking muscles that are only used to walking. You should make sure you take enough day(s) off in between runs and keep your pace in check. You should also not increase your weekly mileage by more than 10% in a given week. So if you ran 10 miles this week you should at most do 11 miles next week.

I totally agree with this post. Running as fantastic as it is, takes so much out of your body. Even if you were cardio fit beforehand, muscles and tendons etc need to adapt and recover from the new movements. A steep increase in training will leave you wide open to injuries such as shin splints, sprains and strains. If you are sore take a rest day with a nice bath and do calisthenic movements (explosive movements like jumping jacks etc) before going out to warm up. As a runner myself it took me a good 8 weeks to gradually build up to 10km and I only ever do that once, maybe twice max per week and now increase my distance by 1km per fortnight but concentrate more on improving stamina. Mix it with other cardio sports as well as interval training to maximise results.

And enjoy it, it is such a liberating sport!
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    My guess is you're just not running fit, that's all.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Seems like you had a good run, to me.
    You can't get stronger if you never over do it.
    Keep it up, you'll love it.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options

You have to recognize the difference between pain and injury, it sounds like pain is what you have now, which is good, sore stiff muscles lets you know you are working your body past it’s comfort zone, and this is the only way you will improve. Injury generally comes on suddenly like while you’re running all of a sudden you get a sharp pain in your knee or hamstring, that is not good and needs attention. For now a day or two rest between work outs, and ice on the affected areas right after your work out and heat (hot bath) later will help you get over the pain. And once you get a week or so behind you the pain will not be as bad after your workouts.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    If after 20 mins you were truly "immensely exhausted" you went out far harder than you're currently capable of.

Just learn to pace yourself and build some running base before trying to be clever and sprinting around.