what should i drink for post workout?

Options
I know youre supposed to have something carby and proteiny after a good workout to aid muscle repair, and i always try and do it, but does it need to be a certain amount, or a certain amount of calories?

Sometimes i'll have an actimel yoghurt thingy(full fat - 72 cals), or ill have a small glass - maybe 150-200ml of skimmed milk with a teaspoon or two of nesquick or half a scoop of protein powder.

Is that enough?

Replies

• Randonneur
    Randonneur Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I recommend a small banana, or the yogurt thing.
    I usually drink during the workout with a flavoured drink.
    Its recommended that you have a sports drink, but I just have a diluted cordial drink, e.g. orange squash.
  • Randonneur
    Options
    Full fat - still need to count the calories.
    Bananas are the No. 1 food.
  • Randonneur
    Options
    If you are doing a workout involving muscles, rather than cardio its recommended that some protein intake is made, eg meat, milk, soya
  • mysteryfoxes
    Options
    I usually have a banana and lots of water. Or if I'm tired of bananas that day I'll bring a small lunch box in my gym bag and have a chobani or some other yogurt. My gym also has a smoothie bar for protein shakes.

:P
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    If you are doing a workout involving muscles, rather than cardio its recommended that some protein intake is made, eg meat, milk, soya

I say workout, but usually its just running. Does that make a diff?
  • aeragusa
    aeragusa Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I swear by coconut water. 90 Calories for 17 oz, and twice the potassium as a banana. Plus it has TONS of electrolytes. If you have issues with muscle spasms, it's definitely the way to go. After that I just make sure I eat a good meal.
  • qbanyto
    qbanyto Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Agree 100000% aboutthe coconut water.

It's the best beverage to drink.
  • twentysixpointtwo
    Options
    Skim chocolate milk has worked for me! There is a lot of good reading on Runner's World to support that this is better for your body than sport drinks. Bananas rank high as well.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    If its just running I wouldn't worry a lot about the protein. You still need some but a half scoop of powder should be fine.

After a long run I usually do protein powder and some carbs. oats or something.
  • 7destiny
    7destiny Posts: 31
    Options
    I like collagen and whey in coconut water.
  • TurboJenn
    TurboJenn Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have half a Banana, tblsp of peanut butter, cup of skimmed milked, and a scoop of whey protein mixed in the blender.... So yummy.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I have half a Banana, tblsp of peanut butter, cup of skimmed milked, and a scoop of whey protein mixed in the blender.... So yummy.

I do the same pretty often. Not just post workout, but it makes for a great snack