running ??

Options
I want to run so bad. But i start out ok. I start out walking, for 7 minutes at 3.5 speed. Then i push it up to 5.0 speed. Start running. But it seems like i can not stay there to long. Like a minute. I think im getting bord. Granted im new at this.
I want to be able to run with my son for 2 miles by this May.
I have not done any running before.

Replies

• CarolMorris66
    Options
    You need to do the C25k challenge. Google it and see what you think. Lots of us on here are doing in at gyms or outside and finding it a brilliant way to start running.....
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Look to see if there are any running groups near you, or any stores that specialize in selling running shoes and apparel - they frequently have couch-to-5K group classes. They are a lot more fun than trying to do it on your own, because you have a group of people doing it with you and a coach to push you on, and a training schedule that's proven to work.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Cardio can be really boring, you have to really want to do it.
    I pretty much hate every time I have to go to the gym and just run.
    Definately get an mp3 player so you can listen to music while running.

As far as not staying at the running pace long, just try to add a small amount of time each session. Even if you only run for 1 minute today, try 1:05 next time.
    Another great way to get cardio in and keep things changing is doing intervals. I do these one day a week.
    Run hard for 30-45 seconds. (spring once you're conditioned to where you can do so)
    Walk for 90-180 seconds.
    Repeat.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest looking into doing the C25K (couch to 5k) program as well. You've sort of already started doing it by at least running a minute interval at a higher speed. For some people, some great songs to listen to or a running buddy helps keep them going. For me personally, being alone with my own thoughts works the best. No music or talking to distract me from making sure I've using the correct form and breathing and staying upright. I do run with a buddy sometimes...
  • Delboy1961
    Options
    I was exactly the same , start off with the best intentions but only last about 3 minutes as its easy to stop the treadmill.I started running outside in Feb and yesterday ran for 58 mins without stopping
    The trick is to ignore your mind and body when they want to give up after a few mins and then it gets easier
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Completely agree with intervals! This is the best way to increase time and improve stamina. Don't get discouraged because it is a long process. Just find something to distract you--music or TV--and go with it!