Ever gotten sick after a workout?

Options
Woke up this morning feeling fine, went & did a 20 minute H.I.I.T. workout, burned 300 calories. Got off the elliptical, came upstairs, had a phone conversation and by the time I hung up (less than 10 minutes), I was running to the bathroom with an upset stomach and overwhelming nausea. I took a shower and the nausea has worn off some but it's not gone. (And before you ask, I'm not pregnant.)

I've seen shows like the Biggest Loser where people get sick during their workouts. This is only the 3rd or 4th time I've done the HIIT thing but I've never gotten sick or felt bad and I don't feel like I'm reaching the intensity of the Biggest Loser players, either. Any ideas?

I do consume 40 ounces of water during my workout.... would that be a factor?

Replies

• jsmjboertlein
    Options
    I get pukey after every workout. Not sure why. Always have. After ANY kind of cardio even just walking
  • gameovergt
    gameovergt Posts: 502
    Options
    I like to puke after working out!
  • MillerLB83
    Options
    May want to experiment next time. Stop drinking large amounts of water 30 mins before and after your workout and just sip during. 40 oz. is a lot of liquid to have sloshing around in there. It would be enough to make me ill.
  • jsmjboertlein
    Options
    May want to experiment next time. Stop drinking large amounts of water 30 mins before and after your workout and just sip during. 40 oz. is a lot of liquid to have sloshing around in there. It would be enough to make me ill.

I agree with this. A ton of water can really effect you. Google water toxicity
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Yep.
    Happens to me often, I have only thrown up once.
    But I normally feel pretty crappy after a day at the gym, comes from pushing hard.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Try sipping that water instead. I would hurl that up even on a brisk walk around the yard with the mower.
  • cjnorman
    cjnorman Posts: 93
    Options
    Did you eat before working out? Working out on an empty stomach makes me feel ill.
  • TammyLanham
    TammyLanham Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I don't eat before workouts - I've done so 2 or 3 times and I feel faint, dizzy and sick. (Even when I eat an hour before I workout) I workout, cool down, take a shower & then eat my breakfast. Anything I eat before noon makes me feel ill.
  • tjsechrist
    Options
    My first thought would be the water. I don't puke now, but I used to at Basic Training for the Army. They used to make us drink soooo much water it wasnt even funny!!!!
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    Try working out at a different time of day. Also check with the doctor. They may need to check your blood pressure and run some blood tests to make sure you don't have something goin on. Just some advice. Plus drink lots of water and eat 30 minutes before working out. But ya, doctor time forREAL!
  • tjsechrist
    Options
    Me too! I can skip any meal BUT breakfast!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Did you eat before working out? Working out on an empty stomach makes me feel ill.

that's what I was thinking. Even something small. A couple slices of apple or something like that. Your body has already gone without food for a while and the cardio will burn off those fruit carbs pretty quickly.

And yes sip the water. I drink water during exercise but only a couple of small gulps at a time to wet my mouth again.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Options
    I don't eat before workouts - I've done so 2 or 3 times and I feel faint, dizzy and sick. (Even when I eat an hour before I workout) I workout, cool down, take a shower & then eat my breakfast. Anything I eat before noon makes me feel ill.

Woman, get your *kitten* to da doctors! That ain't normal or @ least I don't think so!!!
  • knantz
    knantz Posts: 68
    Options
    Wear a heart rate monitor. You may have overdone it (heart rate may have been too high for too long) or gotten too hot. This will definitely cause you to puke. I had this problem more so when I first started working out than I do now, but occasionally when I push myself too hard or get too hot, I still get the nausea. For example, the time I attempted Boot Camp, I completed 2 out of 3 circuits and had to leave the class before I embarrassed myself in front of everyone.
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I did my first outdoor run on sunday, it does funny things to me, I thought I had a stomach bug turns out to be the running
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I had that happen when I drank coffee way too close to the time of my high impact aerobics class. When I finished I felt really weird and basically had to lay down.

40oz of water in that short of time does seem pretty excessive too. I think I would barely go through 8-12 ounces in that time. Drinking too much water too fast can be dangerous because it dilutes the sodium in your body, which then causes your body to steal sodium from your cells to balance it out, causing your cells to swell with fluid.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hyponatremia/DS00974
  • cat3nv
    cat3nv Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    You may want to eat a small amount of complex carbs. Sounds like your blood sugar level may be a little off.

Good luck!
  • PeterBuilt09
    PeterBuilt09 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Yeah, its happened a couple times usually on Leg Days when i push a lil too hard.. i also popped a blood vessel in my eye before, not cool
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Options
    Yeah, its happened a couple times usually on Leg Days when i push a lil too hard.. i also popped a blood vessel in my eye before, not cool

I think you were using too much weight!!! OUCH!!!
  • JimWyatt
    JimWyatt Posts: 18
    Options
    It is not unusual for people to get nauseated when starting a very strenuous workout like a hight intensity interval training regiment. Your body is not used to that kind of stress so it is trying to reach homeostasis. Are you doing a HIIT workout on the elliptical?

Im my humble opinion, 40 oz of water in a 20 minute workout is way too much, especially if you are doing a HIIT workout. All that extra water in your stomach is probably causing the nausea. So, I agree with MillerLB83. My workouts are 60 minutes long, 6 days a week and I only down about 16-20 oz during those workouts. Then hydrate with a 12 oz. recovery drink within 30 minutes of the workout.

I don't know if you can possibly sweat out 40 oz of water in 20 minutes. I would suggest sipping no more than 12-16 oz of water during your workout if you are sweating profusely, then during cool down sip more if you feel dehydrated. You should only need about 64-80 oz of water per day to stay hydrated.

Hope this helps.

Jim