Why aren't I fat?

Options
2»

Replies

• misspenny762
    misspenny762 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I think saying that she is think because she is young is misleading... I know PLENTY of young people who eat the way she described and are obese. I think there might be something more to it than her age... have your thyroid checked. I know not many people would consider your issue a "problem" but with time it may become one. I'm sorry for your struggles and I hope you find some peace with your own body with time.

Yeah this is kind of one of my thoughts too... You can keep saying it's because I'm young, because I'm young but every day I go to school surrounded by thousands of peers my age which are overweight or obese that often eat FAR less than I do.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    I think your focus needs to shift to whether or not you're healthy. Even if your body isn't large, you're not giving it the nutrition that it needs by eating junk and then purging.

Very thin people can be very unhealthy, and can have clogged arteries -- the comedian Dana Carvey had to have a quadruple bypass several years ago -- not an ounce of fat on him!

I am so sorry for your struggle. Please remember that the harmful effects don't have to be outwardly visible to be very real and very dangerous. I'll be praying for you. <3

^This.

The ability to maintain thinness is likely age and genetics; you probably just have a fairly good metabolism for now. Also, many with BED or bulimia make an effort to counteract their binges either through purging and/or with restricting intake the rest of the time (even if not consciously aware of it.) That is how I stayed slender throughout my teens and twenties.

But as mentioned, thin doesn't mean healthy at all. Malnutrition and stress on various body systems are doing damage that you can't see and don't have obvious symptoms. The body has an amazing ability to compensate, but as hard as it works to cover up symptoms, there are limits and the damage is still there - it's just masked temporarily.

If you haven't already, I would really recommend meeting with an ED counselor to work through this. It can be very difficult to identify and work on the mental aspects on your own. And the longer it goes on, the harder it is. Good luck to you. :flowerforyou:
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    My husband has hyperthyroidism. Google it for more info.

He literally lives off of fried foods, 12 sodas a day, zebra cakes, 2 tablespoons of salt on everything and fast food. I'm not exaggerating one bit. He'd die if he ate a carrot or drank skim milk (so he says...:noway: )

But he is 6'0" 156 and cut like you wouldn't believe. (Nice catch I know... :love: ) It pisses me off to no end that he can eat like that, do no exercise and still have a six pack.

Now, he does have high-blood pressure and is only 25 years old, so it's not all sunshine and rainbows.

As for your Binging. You really need to see someone to help you out. Maybe start with a family member or a professional to help figure out the root of your eating problems. You can't really move forward with out solving out current issues.
  • misspenny762
    Options
    Hmmm I Googled hyperthyroidism but I don't think I have that... I only have a couple of the symptoms described and in fact have extremely low blood pressure. Hmm.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    You are eating TONS of calories now, if you eat healthy calories, you wont all of a sudden gain weight, I wouldn't be worried about a ED clinic making you fat. they are concerned about your health, and being fat isn't healthy.

My guess is that you are what people call "skinny fat" sure your thin, but your fat percentage on your body is probably REALLY REALLY high, because you eat so much junk and your body NEEDS protein, your body will feast on your muscles for that protein, breaking them down and using them as fuel. This is making your fat percentage go up and up and up... the more fat you have the more your heart has to work... HEART ATTACK HEART ATTACK HEART ATTACK... you could also be facing Diabetes.

also another thing to keep in mind is that because you suffer from BED, that as soon as your metabolism slows down and you start gaining weight, because you don't have your BED under control BED will have the potential to get perpetuated into full blown bulemia.

Get it under control girl.. ED clinics can help you sooo much. My mother faced bulemia and anexorea a lot of her younger life and about killed herself.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm currently looking at ED treatment centers but I'm worried... They're going to tell me to stop counting calories etc. And basically aren't going to care about how thin I am as long as I'm healthy, but I want to be BOTH... And I'm worried that it's going to perpetuate the cycle. Ugh.

I would think that counting calories would help control the binging. I just looked up BED treatment and one suggestion is keeping a food diary, which is exactly what you're doing here. The treatment center can also help you with other aspects of treatment.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    I think saying that she is think because she is young is misleading... I know PLENTY of young people who eat the way she described and are obese. I think there might be something more to it than her age... have your thyroid checked. I know not many people would consider your issue a "problem" but with time it may become one. I'm sorry for your struggles and I hope you find some peace with your own body with time.

Yeah this is kind of one of my thoughts too... You can keep saying it's because I'm young, because I'm young but every day I go to school surrounded by thousands of peers my age which are overweight or obese that often eat FAR less than I do.

My cousin is 32. She is rail thin. I mean SKINNY. She has always been this way. Actually she is probally smaller now than when she was in high school. She eats whatever. She smokes. She never exercises.

Age does have something to do with metabolism in most cases.

So does genetics.

I have never been skinny. I do not want to be. I am the same size now as when I was in high school though. I can run forever, play 2 hours of basketball, and then lift weights. I eat healthy most of the time. I would much rather be my size, strong, and able to kick butt physically; than to be too skinny for my height/bone structure and unable to walk up stairs without being out of breath. That's just MY personal goals though.

There IS such a thing as "skinny fat" and like someone else mentioned before, skinny people have health issues just the same sometimes. That's just the way it is.

I hope you are able to get some help for your binge eating. It may never catch up to you...then again, like other posters said, it very well may. I know LOTS of small girls from high school that are not so small anymore and are struggling trying to learn how to eat properly. One is even doing the HCG thing now.

Good luck.
  • misspenny762
    Options
    Yeah I'm currently looking at ED treatment centers but I'm worried... They're going to tell me to stop counting calories etc. And basically aren't going to care about how thin I am as long as I'm healthy, but I want to be BOTH... And I'm worried that it's going to perpetuate the cycle. Ugh.

I would think that counting calories would help control the binging. I just looked up BED treatment and one suggestion is keeping a food diary, which is exactly what you're doing here. The treatment center can also help you with other aspects of treatment.

Every therapist I have seen and book I have read has told me to stop counting calories. I have been told to track the food I eat, but rather than tracking the calories I was supposed to record why I ate it, how it made me feel, whether it was excessive, whether I purged, etc.

It didn't work.

But the reason counting calories is probably not healthy for me (although stopping triggers me to binge more so catch-22) is that the worst part of BED is my obsession with food and being skinny... Actually obsession is an understatement, I don't know how I can make you understand how consuming and serious it is short of showing you my diary.

For me, I think counting calories does help me restrict my binging, although it doesn't sstop it. But the treatment center will tell me to stop doing it.

Not that it matters, at this point I know the calories in everything I eat and the exercise I do by heart, so even if I don't record it on paper, I've got it in my brain.
  • lpm3925
    lpm3925 Posts: 39
    Options
    Interestingly my mom is very small. She has always ate what she wants and stayed thin. She is in her late 50’s now and her diet for a long while was sweet tea, cookies, and good old southern cooking. She went to her Dr. and her cholesterol and blood pressure were through the roof! My dad who is very overweight had blood work too, blood pressure fine, cholesterol a bit elevated but within range. The point is thin does not equal healthy, thin may be a result of healthy but the inverse does not apply. I suggest you get a full medical work-up done and see what is really going on. If you feel you have a problem you most likely do. Visit a counselor if you feel you have an eating disorder.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Not that it matters, at this point I know the calories in everything I eat and the exercise I do by heart, so even if I don't record it on paper, I've got it in my brain.

Precisely why treatment and therapy are VITAL. Counting calories (and other habits) is just a symptom of the illness. But the overall issues are still there whether you are counting cals specifically or not.

I know treatment is scary, but you're worth the fight. :wink:
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    For a long potential answer read this:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/role-of-nonexercise-activity-thermogenesis-in-resistance-to-fat-gain-in-humans-research-review.html

Everyone needs some Lyle McDonald in their life at some point ;)

Incidentally, it is clearly the case that someone's anecdotal perception of their circumstances does not marry up with the reality of the situation. I think if you were monitored under lab conditions for a sufficiently long period of time you would see you are actually more active (although this not necessarily exercise activity) and consume less calories then you may believe.

One thing that is abundnatly clear is that most human beings, myself included, are generally terrible at actually calculating their calorie intake or activity accurately.
  • misspenny762
    Options
    I'm not overestimating my calories consumed.

Just trust me.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    I'm not overestimating my calories consumed.

Just trust me.

I generally never trust anyone who says "just trust me" but in your case I will make an exception.

Therefore the NEAT element of the energy balance as applied to you is probably very high if you are not exercising and your calorie intake remains high.

Of course, your body could be a one in a billion black hole in which the laws of the universe, or specificially thermodynamics as applied to bio energetic systems do not apply.

I doubt it though. You're human, just like the rest of us...
  • misspenny762
    Options
    Um, thanks for that.
  • SparksFly460
    Options
    My husband has hyperthyroidism. Google it for more info.

He literally lives off of fried foods, 12 sodas a day, zebra cakes, 2 tablespoons of salt on everything and fast food. I'm not exaggerating one bit. He'd die if he ate a carrot or drank skim milk (so he says...:noway: )

But he is 6'0" 156 and cut like you wouldn't believe. (Nice catch I know... :love: ) It pisses me off to no end that he can eat like that, do no exercise and still have a six pack.

Now, he does have high-blood pressure and is only 25 years old, so it's not all sunshine and rainbows.

As for your Binging. You really need to see someone to help you out. Maybe start with a family member or a professional to help figure out the root of your eating problems. You can't really move forward with out solving out current issues.

You described my boyfriend too LOL. 34 years old two donuts & coffee every morning. Burger King & Wendy's is a regular staple in his diet...as is is ellios pizza/pizz hut/dominos. Oh and he LOVES hostess & reece peanut butter cups.

& he's got abs (oh yum)

His cholesterol is in the 170s too! But his triglycerides are high....

I don't get it
  • MSWDiet
    MSWDiet Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    IT RELLY CAN BE A GREAT METABOLISM. IF YOU COULD BOTTLE AND SELL IT I'D BE YOUR NUMBER 1 CUSTOMER AS I HAVE A BUM METABOLISM. OR, YOUR METABOLISM COULD BE OVERACTIVE AS IN HYPERTHYROIDISM OR SOME ADRENAL CONDITIONS. OR, EVEN PERHAPS YOU DON'T EAT AS MUCH AS YOU THINK YOU DO OR YOU ARE MORE ACTIVE THAN YOU REALIZE.

IMPROVING HOW YOU EAT IS A SMART MOVE REGARDLESS OF EASILY CONTROLLING YOUR WEIGHT. ITS HEATHY AND SHOULD METABOLISM SLOW DOWN AS YOU AGE YOU DONT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT GETING FAT. I KNOW SO MANY WHO ATE ANYTHING THEY PLEASED IN THEIR YOUTH BUT NOW FIGHT OBESITY. ONE DAY THE BODY SAID NO MORE.
  • skinnyhopes
    skinnyhopes Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I used to eat a TON and never weighed much, but I had a stomach bigger than a overweight person.
    But even though you can eat all that junk and not get THAT fat, you will be so much unhealthier than an overweight person.