when did you realize you were overweight.

Options
mrmarius
mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
fat.. or whatever you want to call it? i think i was in denial forever from high school up until say last year (thats been 16 years wow!) i would gradually gain weight around 10 lbs a year and while i would always say "yea i need to get rid of this gut" i never really took it serious because i didnt see myself as fat or overweight.. but then last year i hit 292 and while to me i didnt look that big that was too close to 300 lbs and i began seeing pictures of me and boy reality set in. and that is a horrible realization.

Replies

• hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I always knew I was overweight, but I never realized how much until I lost it all. When I was at 280, I thought if I dropped to 250, I'd be ripped. I dropped to 210.
  • krystleRD
    krystleRD Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Im very confident with myself, but last year when i kept trying to find jeans OMG I wanted to cry. But what really hit it was when i was put on BLood pressure meds last month.. thats an eye opener.
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I've always been overweight, and known it. I just didn't care about it till i had kids.
  • brandip80
    brandip80 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Always knew I was overweight because I gained weight after my first child.....just did have the attitude to do something about it!
  • crystal10584
    Options
    I really realized how disgusting I looked (despite my boyfriend's constant compliments about how beautiful I am) when I saw pictures of myself at my boyfriend's dads birthday party. I looked enormous... i was 2 lbs shy of 200 and I'm 5'1. It's when the changes began.
  • Sigra
    Sigra Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I lost a bunch of weight by myself, but once I got into an apartment with my boyfriend I gained it right back. After 2years he told me I was bigger than what I used to be, and that's when it hit me. :(
  • Sherri0706
    Options
    When I had to start shopping in the plus sizes.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I knew I gained too much over my pregnancy, but was terrified of losing my milk supply while pumping... broke my kneecap shortly after I was done with that... started actively working on weight loss and cardiovascular health once I got the okay from the doctor to move again. It didn't hurt that at that appointment (also my annual) I was up to 182 (5'3.75") :grumble:
  • starryeyedwonder
    Options
    It's been adding up for years now but I saw pictures of myself and I thought that can't be me, I don't look like that but clearly I do/did. That and my husband could fit into my jeans!
  • DarkAngel864
    DarkAngel864 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I was 11.5 lbs when I was born. I was taken home in 8 month old baby clothes. My first word may have been diet :tongue:
  • wiggleroom
    wiggleroom Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    ...when I was in sixth grade and the doctor scolded my mother and told her she needed to stop giving me second helpings of pie. Which she never did -- we hardly ever had dessert.

I was 5 feet tall, 106 pounds. A bit big for a 12 year old, but ... ?!!! That started me on a path of gaining at least a few pounds every single year (sometimes as much as ten or fifteen), until I was 191 pounds in my twenties, and well over 200 during each pregnancy.

So, at 127 today, I'm smaller than I was in eighth grade.

Thanks, Doc, for being so careful with your words. =/
  • LaDiablesse
    LaDiablesse Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    My weight gain was gradual. I'd lose it & put it back on again. The ginormous increase in my stress level put me over the top & I seemed to gain 30lbs in a month. It's just like it is said with the whole cortisol thing. It all went to my stomach in a way that I never gained before. Hearing your kids say those oh so honest words "Mom, you're fat" helps that realization along too.
  • JulieBoBoo
    JulieBoBoo Posts: 642
    Options
    I've been overweight since the third grade. I've run the gamut from overweight to obese to severely obese to morbidly obese to super obese and back again a few times since then. I honestly have trouble imagining what it would be like to NOT be overweight/obese as it's not something I have an conscious recollection of ever being.
  • Sherry1979
    Sherry1979 Posts: 457
    Options
    Well let's see. . .the FIRST time was when I was around 21 years old & I went to the dr for a sinus issue but also mentioned to my dr that I was having some issues with gagging after I ate for "no reason" (didn't feel sick, etc). She gave me some samples of medication for GERD & said if they helped then I'd probably have to be on that for the rest of my life plus I saw the number on the scale that day and it just hit me so hard. . .that I was 21 years old and could possibly have to be on medication for the rest of my life. So I didn't have a clue about "dieting" so I just started cutting back and dropped 40 lbs without feeling like I even gave it much effort. Then joined Weight Watchers & lost another 20 or so and was at my goal weight for the first time ever in my adult life.
    Then came a baby (who is the joy of my life) but I was "ok" with being overweight because I felt like I had an excuse. . .then my husband made the comment to me one day "you don't act like you even care about yourself anymore". First I was MAD but then I realized he was right & that's when my journey started again and it has not been as easy for me this time. . .I can lose fairly easy but it's the sticking with it that I've struggled with but I'm determined not to give up.
    Sorry for the book. . .lol
    (oh yeah, after losing the weight I didn't have the issues with my stomach anymore so I didn't have to take the meds!!)
  • minmatt
    minmatt Posts: 62
    Options
    I was 11.5 lbs when I was born. I was taken home in 8 month old baby clothes. My first word may have been diet :tongue:

Bahaha :) Love it
  • helenamonks
    helenamonks Posts: 176
    Options
    I've always been overweight, even as a child, it hit me pretty hard when I was about 12 bc thats when I started actually feeling the peer effects.

I had to be put on insulin resistance medicine in January and I'm not letting this become me! I'm only 22 years old and I'm going to wear a bikini one day soon hopefully at the end of this summer!!
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I knew after i had my twins that I had gained weight (not from the actual pregnancy, but from the emotional eating after the diagnosis). I started really realizing how much I'd gained when I was a bridesmaid in my sister's wedding. The pictures are horrendous and I've never felt so low. My wedding came 9 months later and I was STILL heavy. I didn't feel beautiful on my wedding day. I saw my wedding photos and cringed. I decided to change right then. That was August 29th, 2010 and I've lost 40lbs since then. I'm working on the last 10 and toning :) feels good to be on THIS side now.
  • RedBone03
    RedBone03 Posts: 56
    Options
    For me, the turning point was when i was on the the Depo Shot( birth control shot) and I came remember plain as day. I went in for my usual 3 month check up, and i stepped on the scale and it Read 169.... i was like are you serious...Tha'ts when it hit home for me.. And great news when i went after 3months, i weighed in at 150!!!! For some reason with me my weight fluctuates up and down..(as with everyone). Now and for the past 10 months i have been dedicated to losing 20, and dropping inches.. I have noticed a huge difference in my clothes, I have dropped 4 sizes, the inches are melting away, but it doesnt seem like the weight wants to... But know that whatever it takes iM going to do it... Be encouraged!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
  • birdieandkenadi05
    birdieandkenadi05 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I knew I had gained weight and was slowly outgrowing my clothes but for me its always the pictures that slap sense into me. Seems like everytime (Yes I have lost 40 lbs before and gained 20 of them back) I go on a vacay with my girlfriends and we get the pics back I see myself and my weight gain and a lightbulb pops on....I cant go back to that old me. So once again im back at it!!!

Determined to keep it off for GOOD this time!! ;):bigsmile:
  • Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I always new I overweight, but it has never been a issue for me because I use to wear it well. Unfortunately the older you get stuff stop sitting like it use to. Areas that use to appear toned were now flabby, I went from not having a tummy at all, to having a gut, and it didn't help that I had become inactive and domesticated so I was eating and laying around all the time. I literally watched myself get fatter through my facebook pictures!