FAVORITE POST EXERCISE FOOD

Options
2»

Replies

• kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    caps lock is the equivalent of yelling. There is no need to yell.

The best thing to feed your body after a workout is protein. You body craves it after exercise so look for low fat, low carb and high protein foods. You also want soemthing that will be quickly digested, so avaoid complex carbs and fiber, it sounds crazy but it makes sense if you think about it. You wan to give as much protein to your body so it can rebuild and strenghten the muscles you exercised, and you want to do it fast. So foods that slow digestion down are not good.

The best food that fits all those criteria is a protein shake. It is quickly digested and your body absorbs most of the protein very easily. You should reconsider using it after workouts.

The milk and cottage cheese reccomendation are very good options too. Tuna and chicken breast are good lean proteins as well but take time to digest.

Fiber one bars and cereal are not very good ideas. Fruit either. They don't have enough protein.
  • abyssfully
    abyssfully Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Cereal & milk.
  • Jovialation
    Jovialation Posts: 7,632 Member
    Options
    caps lock is the equivalent of yelling. There is no need to yell.
    I almost replied "CAPS LOCK IS MY FAVORITE SNACK"
    but I got serious instead
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I exercise early AM and eat a banana before I work out and have a glass of 1% chocolate milk afterwards and about a half an hour later have a whole wheat bagel with lowfat cream cheese. The chocolate milk has been found to be better than protien drinks by several published studies. An orange and a cup of yogurt ranked well also. You can google it and find the studies.
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Kind Bars are my fav, the Dark Chocolate and Cherry.
  • brittfam
    brittfam Posts: 34
    Options
    One big glass of Pure Almond Milk usually Vanilla or Dark chocolate. yum!
  • yanksgurl613
    Options
    I am sorry about the capslock. I was working on something at work and forgot to press the key to go off caps before posting. I was not yelling. thanks for all the great snack ideas.
  • Jovialation
    Jovialation Posts: 7,632 Member
    Options
    lol I figured that was your situation. My mom has caps on for work and oftentimes sends me IMs in caps
  • brow5204
    brow5204 Posts: 17
    Options
    LET ME JUST SPECIFY. I DO MY WORKOUTS AT 8:30 PM. SO IT WOULD BE MORE OF A NIGHT SNACK NOT A LUNCH SNACK. THE FIBER ONE IDEA IS A GOOD ONE. I WILL CHECK THAT OUT. I LOVE MY CEREAL! AND I ALSO LIKE THE IDEA OF CLEMENTINES THOSE ARE YUM BUT WILL I BE FULL TO GO TO SLEEP AFTER? ALSO I LOVE THE IDEA OF VEGGIES AND LOW FAT DIP. THANKS ALL OF YOU!

Since this would be a bed time snack, really consider drinking a cold or warm glass of milk. I drink whole milk, which has more calories yes (150/cup), but is choc full of nutrients like calcium and vitamin D, and it FILLS YOU UP! It will also help you relax and go to sleep. Plus, Whole milk is sweeter and therefore better tasting. Sometimes I cheat and put a little honey in my warmed up milk, but that is usually just a treat.
  • Girl1Beagle4
    Girl1Beagle4 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I drink the P90X Recovery Drink after all my workouts.