Ground Beef

Options
ncrawley
ncrawley Posts: 11 Member
I have been having Tuna in my salads twice a week and getting a bit bored, so one of the days I've bought some ground beef. It is lean ground beef, this is the nutritional info:

Typical values per 100g
Energy 812kJ /194kcal
Protein 25.0g
Carbohydrate 1.0g
(of which sugars) 1.0g
Fat 10.0g
(of which saturates) 5.0g
Fibre Nil
Sodium 0.8g
Salt 1.5g

Is this bad for me? It's got more protein than the tuna, but I've heard worrying things about the fat content etc?

Replies

• angel_eyes17
    angel_eyes17 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    How about ground turkey?
  • DoReMiFaSoLaTiDo
    Options
    BAD is a relative term...are you concerned with just the fat or are you concerned with the additives ingested by the cows that produced the beef

Also, ground beef comes in so many levels of fat... Ive seen 75%, 80, 85, 90 and 95% fat...
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    It's rich in iron, too.
  • mangos4music
    mangos4music Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    How about ground turkey?

yeah i was gonna say ground turkey too, way healthier for you
  • ncrawley
    ncrawley Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Not sure if we can get ground turkey in the UK, will have to check it out next time I'm at the supermarket, I only have one tin so will get eat it tomorrow and see if there's any better alternatives
  • lcoulter23
    lcoulter23 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I eat ground sirloin, but the type I get is 95% lean and 5% fat. It has a lot of iron and protein and is better for you than plain old ground beef..
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    BAD is a relative term...are you concerned with just the fat or are you concerned with the additives ingested by the cows that produced the beef

This. Go grassfed. Grassfed beef is higher in Omega 3's while the hormones that they jack the commercially raised cows up on can't be good for you. "Fat" isn't bad for you if it's "healthy" fat.
  • txjulie
    txjulie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I get the 93% lean ground beef & it is good for you. If you get ground turkey try to make sure it is ground turkey breast (white meat).
  • upnorthtim
    upnorthtim Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I'd disagree that ground turkey is necessarily better. Some of it is very fatty and turkeys get fed all kinds of cr** too. I eat 96% lean ground beef. Low fat, low cal
  • wvessana
    wvessana Posts: 1
    Options
    watch out for ground turkey, it's typically sold at higher fat contents cause of how dry it can get in cooking. if you're not careful you can actually get ground turkey that has more fat and more calories than ground beef. if you make double sure you are getting very lean ground turkey it is a great option.
  • lcoulter23
    lcoulter23 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I agree with the guy who said to go grass fed... The stuff I get is from grass fed cows and it tastes so much better than the chemical fed cow beef.
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    ^ Lol, they're not chemically fed, they're corn fed. You want organic if you want them not fed chemicals.
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    I'll agree that the grassfed tastes SO much better. I recently purchased 1/2 a pig (all nitrate free) and the ham steaks, mild italian sausage & bacon taste worlds better than the store bought stuff.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I believe a can of tuna is about half the calories, but variety is good. There are things in beef you can't get in tuna that are healthy for you. There are things in tuna that you can't get in beef. I would go with the lowest fat option, since it will give you the most proteins for the least amount of calories. I like grilling thin lean steaks, or chicken to put in salads as well as tuna at times. I like variety though.
  • LivingFree
    Options
    Here's another idea to mix it up..... I love tossing some almonds in my salads and on my yogurt. They help give you that protein boosting staying power, they're low in saturated fat and are so nutritious: http://www.nutsforalmonds.com/nutrition.htm