Birth Control Question for the ladies

Options
Hi Ladies,

I honestly don`t know what to believe anymore. I`ve tried high carb, low carb, high protein, etc and I work out enough daily that I should be burning upwards of a pound a week. I know I haven`t hit a plateau, but ever since I switched brands of pill (Alesse to Tri-Ortho Cyclen) I`ve had an increasingly difficult time losing weight. Could it possibly be the birth control?

Replies

• taldie01
    taldie01 Posts: 378
    Options
    Im not sure I just got my IUD removed so mabe Ill drop my last 5lbs! It could be though.
  • rachyrach1234
    Options
    YES. Birth Control Is The Reason I Gained Weight In The First Place.
  • amym107
    amym107 Posts: 5
    Options
    YES!!!!!

I was on Ortho-Tricyclen Lo and its generic and I definitely saw weight gain, and I'm willing to bet it would have made loosing weight difficult (I wasn't trying to loose weight then).
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    It might just be time; weightloss always gets harder as you get closer to your goal weight.
  • beatlemom
    beatlemom Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I stopped taking birth control because of the weight gain.
  • scandalyssa
    Options
    I use that birth control as well and so far it hasn't affected my weight; however, everyone reacts to it differently so it's always best to ask your doctor! If you don't want to do that, keep doing what you're doing and eventually you'll see results!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I've been on birth control for over 8 years...I have been off for 2 months now. I haven't seen any weight loss. I stopped the pill because it's expensive and I'm not sexually active, and I'd like to see if my cycles regulate on their own these days. I have noticed no difference in the ease of weight loss unfortunately!
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's because you're nearing your goal?

I have been on the Pill (Mycrogynon) on and off for around 3 years now, and haven't noticed any change. That's the only method/pill I've tried though.
  • elledoll
    elledoll Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I recently switched from ortho tri cyclen lo to yaz.When I was on the ortho my weight stalled.I'm finally losing again.
  • onawho
    onawho Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    how old are you? I ask this only because I have been on the same BC for nearly 13 years and when I hit 32, I hit a wall when it came to losing weight. I used to be able to will it off now I actually have to work at it. LOL.

So, yes, it maybe the pill is making you gain, but also look at what foods you are eating, why you are eating, and your age.
  • navvs15
    navvs15 Posts: 165
    Options
    Perhaps, but maybe you should talk to your doctor before you jump to conclusions. When you switched birth controls did your doctor tell you weight gain could be a side effect? I know I was on a generic brand of birth control for a few months (to regulate my periods) but it was pretty pricy, so I stopped. However, I never noticed it being a problem losing weight then and I had lost 16 pounds prior to being on it.
  • Sillybunni
    Sillybunni Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Birth control has different effects on different people so it's hard to say for you. For me, being on BC was not the cause of my weight gain. I've always taken Ortho tri cyclen and more recently the OTC lo and it hasn't been the cause of my weight gain, nor have I lost any since stopping it almost 4 months ago.
  • dukefanlisa
    dukefanlisa Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have been on several different birth control pills over the last ten years. Just a couple of weeks ago, I decided to try going off and see how that affects my weight. I gained a lot throughout the years Ive taken them so it will be interesting to see if it makes a difference. I'll let you know in a couple of months!
  • dross327
    dross327 Posts: 7
    Options
    Have you tried cutting all dairy and refined sugars for 2 weeks? Sometimes you have to reset your body's metabolism and that usually the quickest way to do it. Check out the paleo diet for idea....
  • onawho
    onawho Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    sorry, I just saw that you were 19, consider my post a bit of a heads up as to what is to come in 10 years LOL. I would talk to your doctor if I were you then about switching BC pills.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    I've never gained weight on birth control but then again i'm on the nuvaring.
  • monicanicoletta
    monicanicoletta Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    definately depends on the bc... mine actually helps me regulate my weight I feel! I'm on Ocella the generic version of Yasmin
  • andreacord
    andreacord Posts: 928
    Options
    YES!!!!!

I was on Ortho-Tricyclen Lo and its generic and I definitely saw weight gain, and I'm willing to bet it would have made loosing weight difficult (I wasn't trying to loose weight then).

I`m not gaining, but weight loss is almost at a halt right now. It`s kind of upsetting because I had another 10 pounds to go before my prom and it just is increasingly difficult to get it off. I`m going to talk to my doctor and see what she has to say about it, maybe I need to get off it for a couple months to see if it makes a difference.
  • abbigail_r
    abbigail_r Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    i gain weight with most birth controls even the ones they say you cant
  • savanahspring
    Options
    And out comes the pharmacist in me!

It could be the birth control. You switched to a birth control with higher doses of both estrogen and progesterone. Both can make you gain weight by increasing your appetite, but the progesterone (norgestimate in the Ortho Tri-Cyclen and levonorgestrel in the Alesse) can actually distribute fat on your body. Not saying that you can't lose weight while on hormonal birth control. I've done it. Lots of people have. I'm just saying that the new higher dose birth control could definitely contribute to the scale not moving, especially as your body adjusts to new levels of hormones.