Shout out for Taekwondo!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• tinovr
    tinovr Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    yeah.. I feel that it's an activity that I can grow with.. it'll keep me flexible and fit into my old age... mainly because it doesn't stop at black belt... we keep going to N degrees...

and I sympathize with the earlier poster about the age... I'm 43.. the flexibility was gone, as was my strength and stamina...

when I started, I couldn't do 20 pushups or situps.. couldn't touch my toes... etc... after 14 months. I can do 100 pushups, 200 crunches, 100 kicks, and then spar for 20 minutes...
  • JohnnyNull
    JohnnyNull Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    That's one style I've not done. Some Muay Thai a couple times. I've just recently started Aikido, and I am loving it.
  • gwynh
    gwynh Posts: 160
    Options
    Hi. I and my 3 kids have been doing ATA Taekwondo for 4 years. They are all red belts. I am Red/black belt. Which is just one step below Black Belt. I am the only adult that joined with their kids (and has stuck with it).

I enjoy the workouts, and before I joined, I was never active in any sport. I am more flexible, have better stamina, but yet I still can't keep up with the 6 foot tall 14 year old boy I tend to get paired up with to spar each week. His 200 foot long legs always kick me in the head. Oh well.

My biggest challenge is upper body strength. I still can't do regular push ups, modified for girls on the knees, but I can do alot of them that way. Considering I could do zero 4 years ago, I have improved.

I still can't jump kick that high, but I try.

My kids are 12, 10 and 9.

After joining in ATA, I also took up cycling. I love riding my bike for 25 miles each day or so. It is a great workout.
  • grover0ca
    grover0ca Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    yeah.. I feel that it's an activity that I can grow with.. it'll keep me flexible and fit into my old age... mainly because it doesn't stop at black belt... we keep going to N degrees...

and I sympathize with the earlier poster about the age... I'm 43.. the flexibility was gone, as was my strength and stamina...

when I started, I couldn't do 20 pushups or situps.. couldn't touch my toes... etc... after 14 months. I can do 100 pushups, 200 crunches, 100 kicks, and then spar for 20 minutes...

this is exactly how I feel..it is something I can do for years to come!
    i wa in the same boat as you when I started..I was so out of shape but have made so much progress..although I still can't do more than 20 push ups!
  • grover0ca
    Options
    Hi. I and my 3 kids have been doing ATA Taekwondo for 4 years. They are all red belts. I am Red/black belt. Which is just one step below Black Belt. I am the only adult that joined with their kids (and has stuck with it).

I enjoy the workouts, and before I joined, I was never active in any sport. I am more flexible, have better stamina, but yet I still can't keep up with the 6 foot tall 14 year old boy I tend to get paired up with to spar each week. His 200 foot long legs always kick me in the head. Oh well.

My biggest challenge is upper body strength. I still can't do regular push ups, modified for girls on the knees, but I can do alot of them that way. Considering I could do zero 4 years ago, I have improved.

I still can't jump kick that high, but I try.

My kids are 12, 10 and 9.

After joining in ATA, I also took up cycling. I love riding my bike for 25 miles each day or so. It is a great workout.

Good for you & sticking with it..I bet your kids are just proud of their Mom!! I think it is fabulous! So when will you test for your black belt?

Upper body strength was a real challenge for me to..but I started with a personal trainer at the end of December and it has made a world of difference!
  • Bullitt4424
    Options
    NoTKD here but I've restarted Shotokan Karate which is a Japanese style and I also do Kobudo (weapons).
    Hopefully I can test for sandan (3rd degree) black next year.
  • grover0ca
    Options
    NoTKD here but I've restarted Shotokan Karate which is a Japanese style and I also do Kobudo (weapons).

that is quite the achievement..way to go!
    how often do you train?
  • gwynh
    gwynh Posts: 160
    Options

Good for you & sticking with it..I bet your kids are just proud of their Mom!! I think it is fabulous! So when will you test for your black belt?

There are 3 levels of testing for black belt. I am about to do the 2nd set of tests. So, maybe I will get my black belt by christmas.
  • Bullitt4424
    Options

that is quite the achievement..way to go!
    how often do you train?

Sorry several long days at work and Monday and Tuesday are 2 of my 3 nights a week I train in Karate. At work during the day I have to workout Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday. Today I hit the 4 mile mark. I have 1 more Air Force fitness test to pass before I retire and I plan on scoring the the highest I can.
    Mike
  • tinovr
    tinovr Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    just did an advanced adult class for 50 minutes, followed by a 50 minute sparring class... so.. 20 min of mild stretching and 80 min of TKD... a nice 1200 cal workout today..

can't beat it..
  • grover0ca
    Options
    Nice!!!
  • aeneadelacroix
    Options
    I've recently started going to taekwondo - my boyfriend has been going for years (1st Dan black) and after spending years telling me how fun it is, I thought I'd give it a go. I'm loving it! It's such a great workout, helps clear my mind, and I can feel that I'm getting a lot more control over my body (which, given how uncoordinated I am normally, is a big deal!)

I'm doing my grading for second yellow this weekend - wish me luck!

(BTW our belt system goes white --> yellow I --> yellow II --> yellow III --> blue I --> blue II --> blue III --> red I --> red II --> red III --> black --> dans)
  • grover0ca
    Options
    Great that you and your bf have a sport you can enjoy together!
    Good luck on your test!
  • tkd_tigger
    tkd_tigger Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Good Day. I've been doing Taekwon-Do for 14 years, currently a 3rd Degree Black Belt, waiting for my 4th Degree evaluation. I train under the International Ch'ang-Hon Taekwon-Do Federation, which is a spin off of the International Taekwon-Do Federation. I've also been doing Jiu-Jitsu for 6 years.
  • grover0ca
    Options
    That is quite the achievement!
    How often do you train?
  • tkd_tigger
    tkd_tigger Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    When I first started, I trained 4-5 days a week, 3-4 hours a day. I went anywhere my instructor did, seminars, tournaments, testings, etc. Taekwon-Do was absolutely my life.

I've since changed careers, which has made it very hard to train or teach (I actually had to give up my club). I still manage to train twice a week for an hour a day, and teach my son whenever we have spare time.

Taekwon-Do is still a very big part of my life, and can't wait for the day, when I can start a new club.
  • katieanne1555
    Options
    I recently started taekwondo and it's quickly become my life. Am 15 years old and absolutely love it. I wouldn't give it up for anything in the world and I've al already lost a to of weight.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    hey fyi this is a martial arts group here called Martial Arts and sports fighting, lots of people there do TKD !