Why is diet pop "so bad"??

Options
13»

Replies

• TonyaJ83
    TonyaJ83 Posts: 155
    Options
    Try looking up each ingredient in your soda & reading exactly what it is. I care about what I swallow and allow to be inside my body. The best gift I can give to myself is healthy food. I take pride in only consuming healthy foods. Not everyone feels that way, though. To each their own! I read the ingredients on all foods I buy. I am looking for the FEWEST ingredients possible. If I can make bread at home with 4 ingredients, why on earth would I buy a loaf containing 30+ ingredients? It's just not necessary. I only buy natural, organic, quality foods, though. And I'm vegan. :)
  • kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,469 Member
    Options
    When you drink a diet coke, your body believes that it is taking in something sweet. As a result, your body is going to dump out insulin to take care of all of those lil glucose molecules... Unfortunately, there is no sugar for it to take up after drinking a diet coke. Keep doing that, and eventually your body will get the hint and just not give as much insulin, resulting in type 2 diabetes. It is also thought that the artificial sweeteners increase cravings for sugars (possibly because of the insulin dump?), leading you to consume more calories.

There was a study out that linked diet cokes to metabolic syndrome. Metabolic syndrome is, simply put, pre-diabetes with everything that comes along with diabetes: high blood pressure, high cholesterol, abdominal fat, etc.

People who drink cokes are less likely to drink milk, which is rich in calcium. Thus, making them more susceptible to osteoporosis. Also, the phosphoric acid and caffeine in cokes are thought to also decrease bone density.
  • Levedi
    Levedi Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Splenda is also very bad for you. Soda is awful.
    If I my Great Grandma wouldn't know an ingredient, I don't eat it.
    I drink water that's been charcoal filtered in my fridge.
    I live by the book Skinny B!tch except I allowed coffee back into my life..........
    http://www.womentowomen.com/healthyweight/splenda.aspx

My great grandmother fried everything in left over bacon grease and thought veggies weren't cooked until they were gray. She never tasted a grapefruit, a lychee, yogurt (let alone gourmet frozen yogurt or European yogurt), fresh lemons, avocado, edamame, or sushi grade tuna. Despite (and sometimes because) of the chemicals we have in our lives we have more healthy foods available to us than any other generation in history. You wouldn't want to drink unpurified water or lose your teeth because of a lack of flouride.

I'm not saying everything on the store shelves is good for you, but I wouldn't get too invested in the idea that earlier generations had healthier eating habits than we do. For one thing a whole host of nutrition based diseases have been practically eliminated from our culture. I bet none of us worry about suffering from rickets, scurvy, goiters, or beriberi disease, all of which were common in the last 100 years, some much more recently than that.
  • kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,469 Member
    Options
    This recently published peer-reviewed scientific study directly contradicts your claim, btw.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21372000 (this is the abstract. If your employer or school has access you can read the entire paper through the link on the upper right).
    Nice.. Thanks for the info!! Definitely good information

I think it is supposed to be the phosphoric acid that contributes to bone loss, though.
  • aeckels616
    aeckels616 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Carbonation breaks down calcium in the body, and caffeine basically makes you pee out calcium, so the combination of carbonation and caffeine can lead to tooth decay and eventually osteoporosis. Carbonation also increases the absorption of alcohol in your bloodstream, FYI.

This recently published peer-reviewed scientific study directly contradicts your claim, btw.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21372000 (this is the abstract. If your employer or school has access you can read the entire paper through the link on the upper right).

I don't see that it does. This abstract is about giving aspartame to rats that have arthritis. I don't have access to the whole thing, but unless it mentions carbonation or caffeine later on in the study, I don't see how it contradicts anything I said.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I have read every single post and response here. I have fully weighed all the evidence presented. Now I'm going out to my garage (it's cold out there) to get a Pepsi Max.

... For the person who said something along the lines of "only eat what God and Nature makes"... God made some Hemlock just for you.
    You Rock!

:-)
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    It's probably because you're calling it "pop" when it should be "soda". lol. jk. My husband calls it pop as well and I razz him.

To answer your question, I'm not really sure. Sodium content? I just know that since I've stopped drinking it (and it kills me at times), I've lost 3 lbs.

Yes, I could definitely go for a nice cold Diet Caffeine Free Pepsi right about now. When you find out why it's the bad guy, let me know!

Take care!
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Try looking up each ingredient in your soda & reading exactly what it is. I care about what I swallow and allow to be inside my body. The best gift I can give to myself is healthy food. I take pride in only consuming healthy foods. Not everyone feels that way, though. To each their own! I read the ingredients on all foods I buy. I am looking for the FEWEST ingredients possible. If I can make bread at home with 4 ingredients, why on earth would I buy a loaf containing 30+ ingredients? It's just not necessary. I only buy natural, organic, quality foods, though. And I'm vegan. :)

Wow! I totally commend you! I'm inspired, I must say.
  • hamsmash
    hamsmash Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Carbonation breaks down calcium in the body, and caffeine basically makes you pee out calcium, so the combination of carbonation and caffeine can lead to tooth decay and eventually osteoporosis. Carbonation also increases the absorption of alcohol in your bloodstream, FYI.

Sort of True...

The Carbonation turns plain water with CO2 in it, into carbonic acid which has a sour taste - note pelligrino. However Phosphoric acid is generally in Pop which is what leaches the calcium.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbonated_water#Health_effects

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosphoric_acid#Processed_food_use
  • countryrunner
    countryrunner Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    The Skinny ***** book made it all make sense to me.
  • countryrunner
    countryrunner Posts: 62 Member
    Options

You are what I'm trying to become. I'm almost vegan, having trouble giving up fish. It's kinda funny cause EVERYTHING else was easy to give up.
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Diet pop can be an appetite stimulant, particularly for carbs. People who drink diet pop actually gain as much weight (or don't lose as much weight) as people who drink regular pop. This was looked at as a group, so individuals within the study did lose weight drinking diet pop- and probably regular pop as well.

Also, the Framingham Heart Study has determined that ANY pop- diet or regular- increases risk of heart disease by 20-40%.

Yes, there are many things we eat/drink that can cause bad things down the road or derail our attempts at healthy lifestyle choices. It's up to us as individuals to decide which ones are worth the risk. Since I care for women every day with heart disease, I choose to not drink/eat things on a regular basis that increase my risk for this disease. If I worked with people who have survived colon cancer, I think I would be more attuned to the foods that increase that risk and more carefully avoid those.

We need to be informed consumers and make our own choices using evidence based information and guidelines.
  • elephantmeg
    elephantmeg Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    It's not the devil. But it can keep you in a mode of being greatly oriented towards sweets, which can be a problem.

I used to drink a lot of diet soda. I stopped for a weird reason-my job requires me to spend a lot of time with clients, and I got sick of watching people belching through lunch meetings because of all the soda. Yes, I thought it looked atrocious and so I stopped all soda cold turkey, lest I become one of the disgusting habitual belchers.

But you know what stopped when I stopped the soda, totally unexpectedly? UTIs and suspected UTIs! I got them a lot.(figured it was all the traveling.) I also had several instances in which I thought I had a UTI (blood in the urine, pain, urgency, etc.) and the doctor could find no cause for it at all--urine samples were totally clear except for the blood. The doc concluded that I had a senstive bladder and the chemicals in the diet sodas were irritating my bladder enough to cause all those symptoms! So that was a nice side effect of stopping the soda!

my MIL has this but has been diagnosed with interstitial cystitis. You may want to google it...
  • TonyaJ83
    Options
    Splenda is also very bad for you. Soda is awful.
    If I my Great Grandma wouldn't know an ingredient, I don't eat it.
    I drink water that's been charcoal filtered in my fridge.
    I live by the book Skinny B!tch except I allowed coffee back into my life..........
    http://www.womentowomen.com/healthyweight/splenda.aspx

My great grandmother fried everything in left over bacon grease and thought veggies weren't cooked until they were gray. She never tasted a grapefruit, a lychee, yogurt (let alone gourmet frozen yogurt or European yogurt), fresh lemons, avocado, edamame, or sushi grade tuna. Despite (and sometimes because) of the chemicals we have in our lives we have more healthy foods available to us than any other generation in history. You wouldn't want to drink unpurified water or lose your teeth because of a lack of flouride.

I'm not saying everything on the store shelves is good for you, but I wouldn't get too invested in the idea that earlier generations had healthier eating habits than we do. For one thing a whole host of nutrition based diseases have been practically eliminated from our culture. I bet none of us worry about suffering from rickets, scurvy, goiters, or beriberi disease, all of which were common in the last 100 years, some much more recently than that.

What you said has nothing to do with what I wrote!!
    If my Great Grandmother doesn't know what an ingredient is, I won't eat it!
    For instance Cheetos contain: Monosodium Glutamate, Disodium Phosphate, & Maltodextrin.
    My Great Grandma at 90 years old doesn't have a clue what those items are! So I REFUSE to put them in my body. I will stick to the basics!!
  • TonyaJ83
    Options

You are what I'm trying to become. I'm almost vegan, having trouble giving up fish. It's kinda funny cause EVERYTHING else was easy to give up.

Good luck to you! You can do it if you really want to. Actually, I had no idea what Skinny B!tch was! Just saw it at a book store on vacation & skimmed it over & realized that I NEED to lose weight and maybe this book can help. It was SO interesting, I read it aloud to my husband on our road trip. We became new people (2 1/2 years ago) on the SPOT! Even tossed everything we had in the car to eat! Never looked back!!
  • baileynhelms
    Options
    i don't know. i LOVE diet coke. i usually have a big fountain one everyday. i'm sure the caffeine isn't that great for me....but i can't give it up. lol
  • portwood2218
    portwood2218 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm actually enjoying my cherry coca-cola zero very much....and if this is my vice, then so be it, I guess. To each their own.
  • TonyaJ83
    Options
    If I am desperate for the "taste" of soda, I will buy a Hansen's. But I don't want all those calories. That's a rare treat! My cravings are home made juice, smoothies & ice water! :D