Black and Blue Toenails - Please Advice

Options
I just started my Fitness Program and currently in my Week 3.

During mid week 2, I found 1 painful toenail with what looks like blood pooling under the nail and I did not recollect banging it. Anyway, I immediately bought a new pair of running shoes and continued with my walking.

Just on Tuesday, the toe next to the first injury started hurting but luckily it only turned a little purple - not as angry as the first.

I thot I already had a very relaxing program : I walk real slow with the toe pain (about 2.0 - 2.5miles per hour) but I usually walk for >1hour and I try to do only alternate days to give my feet.

I went to see a MD but I think she looks kinda of inexperienced coz she gave me anti-fungal lotion but after researching the web today, it looks more like runner's toe.

Q : How long after the exercise/impact then the runner's toe bruising would appear? Would the pain be Immediate and perhaps bruised the next day? Or the bruising may only appear a few days later?

I will monitor my shoes as I know I laced up too tight last Sat (aching feet). I am not sure if my shoes were too loose on Tue (that's when it started hurting). Was it Sat's too tight shoes that showed up Tue? Background : No cardio on Sun and Mon.

Q : Should I rest off cardio till the pain is gone or do I push on?
I am due for cardio again (alternate days) so I need your advice.

Anyway, the rirst toe looks garish but is pain free while the 2nd toe has stabilised and has hardly any pain today. Just checking in case I get yet another one as I try to wear in my new shoes.

Sorry if they seem like silly questions but I have never exercised this much in my life and I would really hate to turn into couch potato again.

Thanks!

Replies

• rachyrach1234
    Options
    i used to dance (ballet) and i got that ALL THE TIME
    its probably a good idea to rest just walk or something or it will never go away
  • VRoseDuda
    VRoseDuda Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I do not speak from ersonal experience but my sister lost a bunch of weight (70 lbs) and trained for the Chicago Marathon. During this time she got blood blisters under her toe nails and had to pop them. She also lost her toes nails on a few due to the blisters. I don't know if it is from impact or not but you can google it.
    I think it is called "black toe" or something.
    maybe switch it up for a bit
  • cindyss
    cindyss Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert in anyway....my first question would be, the quality and size of your shoes, our feet will normally swell, so if your shoes are small, well then maybe......I would suggest a n actual running store where they can recommend proper shoes, may cost a little more, but worth it.
  • Runner_mick
    Runner_mick Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me that you are in the wrong running shoes. If you run or jog often or plan to do so as part of a weight loss plan then you need to go to an running store and have them analyze your gait. They will tell you what type of shoes you need to be in based on how you run. Everyone is different. Also your running shoes should be about 1/2 size to a full size bigger than your regular shoes because your feet swell during impact and that will prevent your toes from hitting the front and turning them black and blue. Not only will you save your toes but you will prevent a whole list of runner injuries by getting into the right pair.
  • audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Have your feet measured for width as this is common in people with wide feet wearing shoes for narrow footed people. Too, wear seamless socks. You pay a bit more for them, but they're well worth every penny. Try not to get your feet wet (try to avoid going out when it's raining or slushy snow). And each night, soak your feet in a bath of hot sea salt (himilayan salts if you can afford them - if not regular sea salt or epsom salt is just fine) and cream them lightly in peppermint foot cream. Never cream your feet prior to a walk. And keep your toenails super-duper short.

To add to what afcavegirl2002 said above, make sure they measure your heels too. Some people have very narrow heels, high arches and wide feet, while others have wide heels, low arches and narrow feet. Make sure you see someone who is truly qualified in these aspects before purchasing your new shoes.

That's about all I can think of right now.
  • JennaLee1486
    JennaLee1486 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    My best friend went to a shoe store with the same problem. A saleslady told her that shoes you run in should be about a size bigger than your normal shoes. She also showed her a "runner's tie" to keep shoes tight around the ankle. Basically you unlace the top holes, then put the laces through the top holes on the same side without crossing them (it creates a loop), then take the lace from the opposite side and stick it through that loop and tie them regularly.
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Typically, if your toenails are turning black, your shoes are too small. I normally wear a 7.5, but in my running shoes, I'm in an 8.5.
    Each brand is different, so you need to try them on, not just buy one size bigger. I would go to a running store and have a fitting. You don't have to buy them there, but just see how they figure out what size you need.
  • kgalea
    kgalea Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I had that happen only one time - it was during one of my final long training runs for my marathon. I am under the impression that runner's toe results from your toe banging on the front of your shoe.

How well do your shoes fit?

Did you buy them from a running specialty store, where they can and will help you make sure the shoes are the right size/fit for your feet? If not, you could see if a local store will help you determine if the shoes you have are the issue.

Are your toenails short? When my nails get long, I begin to notice some discomfort while running, so I know it is time to trim them.

Even after 7 more years of running, I haven't had another issue with black and blue nails. Hope you find a resolution.
  • mommymovingmountains
    mommymovingmountains Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    You were right about the cause. If I were you I would soak your foot in warm water a few times a day for pain and inflammation, then trim your nail as short as possible. Try to adjust your socks and running shoes like others have suggested. Do not be alarmed if your toenail falls off completely, it is normal.
  • bryony_pie
    Options
    I have experienced this a few times. I have very comfortable, very broken-in running shoes, and in this pair I only had the black toenail issue once, when i admittedly tripped during a long run on a ledge on the pavement and banged the top of my toe. So it CAN happen in shoes that are fine for your feet, but my previous pair was much worse and actually caused me to lose both of my big toenails after the shoes themselves caused blood blisters under them (don't worry, after the day it happened, they barely hurt at all, despite sounding super gory). Since you got new shoes, that's a great start. As far as rest time, I would give it long enough so that your toenails aren't tender to the touch, and then just get on with your regular workouts. I think I had a bandaid over mine for a week or so just for some extra cushioning. Be warned though, the toenail I banged in November that turned black is still growing out now, so be patient! Best of luck to you!
  • JenBrown0210
    JenBrown0210 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I went to get a new pair of running shoes at specialty store so I could get fitted. I have always worn a size 7 1/2. The store rep had me try on the 7 1/2 and told me they are to small for my feet. He said about 80% of people get shoes that a size to small because when you try them on and test the toe you are sitting down. You need someone there with you because you need to stand up and then wiggle your big toe to make sure it isn't rubbing on the end of the shoe. When you stand up that is where your toe is actually going to be. So my running shoes are now a size 8. But he said for runners it can lead to ingrown toenails and toenails actually coming off. So you may just be wearing shoes that are to small. I would go to a specialty store to at least get fitted and make sure you have the correct size shoe.
  • CuriousSoul
    Options
    Yes, I immediately see where I went wrong. I thot I may slack off after a while so I bought a cheaper pair and told myself I would upgrade to a better pair for motivation if I were consistent.

Definitely wrong shoe size (I should have bought it 1 or 1.5 sizes up plus I forgot to bring my thick socks when trying on the new shoes - a double No-No!) as my feet did expand a lot after exercising - completely forgot about that fact!.

Wide feet (probably need to get the wide version - width is nearly one-third of length).

I will listen to all of you and I now know that I am good to go.

Anyway, I will give the new shoes a chance to wear in but if it still hurts, I will definitely head for a speciality shoe store.

Thank you for all your great advice!
  • eates
    eates Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    In the short term in order to try & avoid losing your toenail you can use a hot (heat it with a lighter till it's red) needle and poke it just barely through the toenail. It will release the blood from the blood blister beneath the nail. I used to get them regularly during soccer season in college especially and that's how the trainer would treat them and I'd rarely lose a nail.
  • CuriousSoul
    Options
    Definitely lots of good advice here for all newbies like me.- Prevention, Diagnosis, Tried and Tested Treatments, Empathy and Encouragement.

Wow! And the suggestions and replies surely comes in fast as well! Definitely the warmest crowd in the cloud! Thumbs up and a pat on the back to all!

Another piece of advice from you : Look for alternatives and I decided to give my feet a break today and take to the pool - less impact but still great cardio.