Starting birth control for the first time is NOT helping my

Options
--weight loss goals! (sorry the title got cut off)

Hi all,
I had recently fallen off the wagon and decided to start getting my act together just about the same time I started taking Sprintec for the first time (about 5 days ago). Normally 1200 calories a day is no sweat for me when I'm first starting to restrict my food intake, but a few days into it and I noticed I was feeling so much hungrier than I normally do on a 1200 calorie plan. Then yesterday and today cravings started to kick in and now I feel like I'm a bottomless pit! Between an increase in appetite and swollen sore boobs, it's like I gave up the risk of becoming pregnant and replaced it with ACTUALLY FEELING AND LOOKING PREGNANT!

Any ladies out there face similar issues? I've never been on BC before so I don't know what to expect and how long to expect these side-effects to last. The last thing I need is to tack on another couple pounds when I'm still trying to catch up to where I was before I got off track and get down to my goal weight!

Is there anything I can do to help get my appetite and cravings in check before they take over and put me even further behind in my goals?

Replies

• powerglove
    Options
    I recently went back on birth control and felt the exact same way! I'd say for about a week and a half I ate all junk food possible. It was a couple days ago that I notice my clothes feeling tighter and I had gained some weight! Birth control is known to do that, so instead of getting down on myself I just made a more conscious effort to stick to my caloric intake and I work out everyday so if I do crave something sweet its okay to have it. I'm sure your appetite will level off soon and you should be back to normal. Hope that helps!
  • rrjs
    rrjs Posts: 46
    Options
    I really hope the side-effects start to level off! It's only been five days and I'm starting to have occasional mood swings, sore boobs, and now cravings for foods I normally don't even like! This is doing NOTHING to help with my weight loss efforts! ):

I've heard some people have side-effects for a little while but then they go away...I'm going to stick it out for a month and see how it ends up effecting me in the long run. Hopefully this all goes away, though, because it's very discouraging.
  • lunula76
    lunula76 Posts: 38
    Options
    Definitely been there. First, make sure you are on the right birth control. I can not begin to tell you what a difference it made for me when I went from a high estrogen birth control to a low estrogen birth control.
    Second try not having any wheat based foods for now. It makes so many of the cravings, bloating etc go away.
    My favorite part of birth control is how it kills the sex drive, ah irony!

Good luck
  • tinalina81
    Options
    I just stopped taking my birth control pill for that exact reason. My husband agrees that there is no way to lose weight with the current BC I was on. Maybe you can ask your doctor to give you one that will help you? Not sure that there is one that helps. Just mention it to your doctor and see what he/she says about it.
  • rrjs
    Options
    Definitely been there. First, make sure you are on the right birth control. I can not begin to tell you what a difference it made for me when I went from a high estrogen birth control to a low estrogen birth control.
    Second try not having any wheat based foods for now. It makes so many of the cravings, bloating etc go away.
    My favorite part of birth control is how it kills the sex drive, ah irony!

Good luck

Oh I know, isn't it hilarious how that works? I think the reason birth control is actually effective is because no guy in his right mind would want to get involved with someone moody, bloated, and never in the mood for sex!

Sprintec, what I'm on, is a low-dose norgestimate and ethinyl estradiol pill. If this is the side effects from low-dose, I'd be a train wreck taking high dose!

I'm not in a relationship and don't plan on being in one, so if worse comes to worse I can stop it after I give it a fair try and then try to find something I like better, but I feel ready to go on it and be consistent with it, so I want to be able to stick it out. Hopefully these side-effects level off and my body adapts.
  • arosegeo
    arosegeo Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    try different types, my sister was on one that made her have menopausal symptoms at 19 and i had one that did the same as yours. id tell your dr whats happening and ask for a different type. i also recomend Nuva Ring its what i use and i have no side affects it is fantastic(for me)
  • rrjs
    Options
    try different types, my sister was on one that made her have menopausal symptoms at 19 and i had one that did the same as yours. id tell your dr whats happening and ask for a different type. i also recomend Nuva Ring its what i use and i have no side affects it is fantastic(for me)

It's only been five days, so I'm going to give it some time and see how it effects me after giving it a full month. But if I'm still unhappy and having the same problems I'm going to be back on the market for something new.
  • Shadowcasting
    Shadowcasting Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I gained weight when I stopped taking it rather than the other way around. Everyone's body is different and there are dozens of types of pill out there. Give it time and if you just aren't happy with it, ask to try a different one. Good luck!
  • rrjs
    Options
    ?