Carbohydrates

Options
Just wondering if anyone could help me with this. My MFP goals recommend I consume 55 percent of my total calories with carbohydrates. I have not gone over this amount since starting MFP. However, I think 200 ish carbs may be too much. I decided to change it to around 25 percent which will be around 150 carbs on days I workout and 106 on days I don't. Has anyone lost weight using the preset recommendations. I usually only consume 100-130 carbs anyways, but today I was in the mood for sweet potatoes, popcorn, and chocolate (which is amazing that I managed to stay under my caloric intake for the day). I'm trying to do the low carb high protein, but honestly, some days i prefer variety. I have been loosing weight so should I worry about adjusting my protein/carbs.

Replies

• spiritcrusher
    spiritcrusher Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Carbs are without a doubt the primary macronutrient that strike anyone's fat stores. Unused energy from carbs turns into glycogen and excess glycogen goes immediately into fat.

MFP has a pretty bad setup for men by default, I would say.

I think 40/40/20% is the best combo. (Proteins/Fats/Carbs)

Proteins are the primary macronutrient that will almost never turn into fat. The only way that would be possible is with excess carbohydrates to create pathways for it. Fats are extremely important as well and they're a better source of energy than Carbs are although carbs are your bodies preferred choice by default.

If you've been losing weight, then you'll lose more weight by dropping carbs and upping proteins.

Do you exercise at all?
  • rwarren2
    rwarren2 Posts: 25
    Options
    Yes, I go to the gym 5 days a week. 1 hour cardio and alternate upper and lower body strength training.
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I've been keeping carbs <100 in the 1400-1500 calorie range (including exercise calories). The weight is steadily coming off. I set my carbs at 25% which gives me 75 g at 1200. I've also been keeping sodium <1500, and meeting my net calorie goal. My exercise is mostly walking 30-40 minutes per day and yard work, with strength exercises a couple days per week.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    Just wondering if anyone could help me with this. My MFP goals recommend I consume 55 percent of my total calories with carbohydrates. I have not gone over this amount since starting MFP. However, I think 200 ish carbs may be too much. I decided to change it to around 25 percent which will be around 150 carbs on days I workout and 106 on days I don't. Has anyone lost weight using the preset recommendations. I usually only consume 100-130 carbs anyways, but today I was in the mood for sweet potatoes, popcorn, and chocolate (which is amazing that I managed to stay under my caloric intake for the day). I'm trying to do the low carb high protein, but honestly, some days i prefer variety. I have been loosing weight so should I worry about adjusting my protein/carbs.

oh boy i cannot tell u how much time i have spent researching this and deliberating what to do. like you, when i started MFP i only paid attention to my net calories and I lost weight pretty steadily the first few months. After that it got hard n hard and I have not been able to "figure out" which combo works for me. I have gone a period of eating what I wanted (including carbs as these are my weakness) and losing 6-8lbs in one month. I have gone the past month or so watching my carbs like a hawk and upping my protein since I have been strength training (only 5lbs dumbells but do it 3-5x a week) It is SO FRUSTRATING. there are so many different answers out there I am curious to see what responses you'll get. sorry i'm no help but atleast u are still losing I have been stuck for over 2months. :grumble:
  • spiritcrusher
    Options
    Yes, I go to the gym 5 days a week. 1 hour cardio and alternate upper and lower body strength training.

40% Protein
    40% Fat
    20% Carbs

Enjoy and good luck!
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options

40% Protein
    40% Fat
    20% Carbs

Enjoy and good luck!

What about me? lol.
    I do 1 hour of bootcamp 3x a week, + 2hours of dancing/step/cardio

I was trying 35/35/30 but that doesn't seem to be working. I did have my weight loss set to 1lb a week which alotted me 1450 cals + exercise cals......THAT didn't seem to be working (have gained 2lbs in the last month and no i'm not talking about just one bad weigh in, i mean like consistently cannot lose) and now I'm getting frustrated so I was thinking of upping my weight loss goals to to 2lbs loss a week dropping me my calories to 1200 + exercise cals. THOUGHTS?
  • spiritcrusher
    Options
    30/20/50

For an active female, in my opinion
  • rwarren2
    Options
    Do you usually do the same routine when working out? If so, I would suggest to try to change up your work-out routine. I am no expert, but I have heard that if you change up your workout it may help you get over the plateau. I usually do a different routine each day. Just a thought.
  • rwarren2
    Options
    Thanks, I will do that.
  • rwarren2
    Options
    I usually do around 100 carbs each day; however, my sodium intake is always over the limit. I am working on it :-)
  • cmowat13
    cmowat13 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    30/20/50

I recently posted a topic asking for advice on what my percentages should be too. Are these percentages good if I am really trying to gain muscle and lower body fat percentage? I know you said active females, but just want to be sure.

Thanks!
  • mandysjourney
    mandysjourney Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    just quick question the 30/20/50 suggested for females is that

30 protein
    20 fat
    50 carb

just checking I am losing well atm with MFP suggestions but want to look into this for the future
  • spiritcrusher
    Options
    30/20/50

I recently posted a topic asking for advice on what my percentages should be too. Are these percentages good if I am really trying to gain muscle and lower body fat percentage? I know you said active females, but just want to be sure.

Thanks!

If you're trying to gain muscle and reduce body fat, I would recommend you go for 35/35/30.
  • spiritcrusher
    Options
    just quick question the 30/20/50 suggested for females is that

30 protein
    20 fat
    50 carb

just checking I am losing well atm with MFP suggestions but want to look into this for the future

Yes, P/F/C
  • cmowat13
    cmowat13 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    30/20/50

Thanks!

If you're trying to gain muscle and reduce body fat, I would recommend you go for 35/35/30.

Thank you
  • mandysjourney
    mandysjourney Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    thanks heaps and sorry for us hijacking the thread