Home Grown Veg - anyone with green fingers?

Options
Can this be posted in here? It is food?

Anyway's I have a paved area outside where I live and no garden. So im going to start growing Veg in tubs and a little mini green house I plan to buy

Any tips for someone who has not done it before?

I thought, Chilli, Garlic, Cougette and tomatoes a good place to start?

Anyone any experience growning corriander to as I use lots in cooking

Replies

• longtallted
    longtallted Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about this but I can send you a load of quality vegetable seeds (cucumber, cauliflower, celeriac, carrots, quite a variety) that I have (long story) but don't need. Now's the time to be planting them. Send me a message with address details and I'll get them off to you - my treat. Cheers. Ted
  • kristiek7
    kristiek7 Posts: 198
    Options
    oooo very exciting!! Peppers are good too, my fave and they keep producing. I've had a garden for awhile now.......it's all about the soil. Rich and with good drainage....lots of compost if possible. I have cows, so always lots of manure available and it makes a world of difference. It is a lot of work, but so rewarding.......
  • flausa
    flausa Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    You don't need much space to grow veg, and tomatoes, carrots, peas, spring onions, and peppers will all happily grow in pots. I've also decided to grow cucumber this year, so we'll see. If you plant your seeds in small pots and put them in a sunny window inside just now, you should have plants ready to be transplanted into bigger pots and potentially moved outside in a few weeks. I've never managed to have an overabundance of veg, because we tend to pick and eat when we see the mature veg. And it really is true, home grown tastes sooooo much better than store bought!
  • nelster
    nelster Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Those are good vegetables to start with. I have gardened many years, although not in tubs, but they require the same important things. Start with good soil. Fertilize at least every two weeks. Water well and often as tubs will dry out quickly (simply feel the soil--if the soil is dry it needs to be watered.) Allow a good 8 hours a day of sunlight. Enjoy!!
  • enteralterego
    Options
    Ok so a trip to the market and places it is this weekend.
    Tubs, good soil and fertilizer needed.

Heard marrigolds are good to grow as the green fly's are attracted to them more.
    At least wife will appriciate some flowers been grown
  • becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Growing your own is great. Summer salad veg is fantastic if you only have limited space - perhaps utilising sunny window sills before investing in a greenhouse? (They are expensive unless you are lucky enough to get one 2nd hand).
    Courgettes are fab, need a big pot once mature (ie about to start growing courgettes). We grew some in pots and found that some of the veg got a bit pot bound, so we thought if we were to grow them again like that, we'd probably use tomato grow bags and just cut holes in them. You'll need to protect from slugs, cos they love them.
    You might be a little late for garlic this year, the best is planted in October and allowed to overwinter, we've never had much luck with spring sown garlic, but try it and see, ours was ok last year, but nowhere near the crop overwintered the year before!
    Good luck! and enjoy the taste of home grown - you'll never want to buy from a supermarket again!
  • DoReMiFaSoLaTiDo
    Options
    I'm doing some direct seeding this weekend... we aren't quite past out last frost yet.... I'm putting in my spinach & onions a lil late but am on time for everything else...
    I have a pretty decent sized area for planting.... even got some 55 gallon drums to collect rain water to help with watering the garden.

I am also composting as best I can....

I am even looking into getting a few chickens for eggs & manure.
  • DoReMiFaSoLaTiDo
    Options

Anyway's I have a paved area outside where I live and no garden. So im going to start growing Veg in tubs and a little mini green house I plan to buy

I was just looking at Home Depot's "sale" on greenhouses... *OUCH*!!! out of my budget for sure

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Navigation?storeId=10051&categoryID=557690&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&cm_sp=SpringThree-_-SnapGrowGreenhouses&locStoreNum=6175
  • enteralterego
    Options

I have seen a mini one that has four shelfs about 1.5 metres hight and just under a metre wide so will be a great space saver, £12 here in the UK
  • markymark39
    Options
    I like to have a small garden every summer. i do tomatoes, peppers, and a bunch of herbs.

we'll be able to plant next month. looking forward to some heirloom tomatoes, jalepenos, poblano, errano, and habanero peppers. Standard herbs include basil, oregano, mint, rosemary, chives, tarragon, thyme, sage, and marjoram.
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Tomatoes and peppers (chiles) are easily grown in containers. Look for mid-size tomato varieties like Better Boy or Early Girl. You'll get a better yield that way. I often also grow plum style tomatoes (I like the Amish Paste variety) for cooking and preserving. you won't need much in the way of chemicals, some fish emulsion for fertilizer and sometimes some calcium spray if you get blossom end rot. Be faithful about watering and put the water in the pot, not on the leaves.

As far as chiles go, bell pepper and jalapenos both grow like weeds even in containers. You won't get big blocky shaped peppers like you see in the grocery store, more than likely, but you will get flavorful fruit that's right at hand when you want it.

As someone else already said, save your garlic plans for the fall. But you could grow garlic chives in the spring. I've also done lettuces and spinach in containers. Don't try for head lettuce like iceberg, but you can grow romaine or butter lettuces easily. Do a few and just pick the leaves you need for dinner, the plant keeps going until the hot weather comes.

And courgette (which we call zucchini) will grow ANYWHERE, even in a pile of dirt on a patch of pavement. LOL. Pick them small and enjoy them until the vine gives up.

You may want to do a second planting in mid summer if your growing season is long enough. Enjoy!

Good luck.
  • enteralterego
    Options
    I have come home with assorted pots, growers, compost, propagator. Also some chilli and pepper seeds

Ive seen some garlic which is in small bulbs to plant so might give that a try then in the autumn try from scratch

thanks for all the advice

I can tell the wife all you guys said it would be getting this stuff? ok ?