Do you use STEVIA as a sweetener?

Options
2»

Replies

• mejustmichael
    mejustmichael Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I dont care for the aftertaste its so... BAD! try to get a few packs from a friend before investing in a big box... lol.

I'm from the south and drank sweet tea my entire life... but one day i didnt have sugar or splenda around so i just went without it... havent had sweet tea since.
  • Cbandelier
    Cbandelier Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    To me it has sort of a licorice taste, which I don't love but I think I could get used to it. I really like Splenda but I am trying to switch over. Mostly it's just for my coffee, I'm just not a fan of black coffee yet.

Does anyone use the liquid stevia for baking, and if so how do you know how much to use (in place of sugar)? And do I have to make any other changes to the recipe to keep the baked items at the right consistency?
  • boomer6
    boomer6 Posts: 1
    Options
    I love the liquid Stevia. You can find it at a lot of health food stores. I can also buy it at Whole Foods where I live. I love to get the cinnamon liquid and put it in my morning coffee. I have the chocolate and add it to my morning smoothies. I also alternate between orange and grape and add it to seltzer water to make a calorie free version of "grape soda" or "orange soda". I have lemon as well and use it to sweeten iced or hot tea. I would definitely agree that the powdered form is not great, the liquid forms are much better, the flavored forms rock! Although make sure to use only a small amount at a time, it goes a long way!

If you garden, you can also purchase Stevia plants and use the leaves for sweetening as well. I try to grow one or two each summer and use them to sweeten summer drinks etc.

Hope this helps.
  • mrswibbs
    mrswibbs Posts: 31
    Options
    I love the liquid Stevia. I would definitely agree that the powdered form is not great, the liquid forms are much better, the flavored forms rock! Although make sure to use only a small amount at a time, it goes a long way!

If you garden, you can also purchase Stevia plants and use the leaves for sweetening as well. I try to grow one or two each summer and use them to sweeten summer drinks etc.

Hope this helps.

Really helpful yes! Thank you
    I love the idea of growing my own sweetener, lol :laugh:
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    i got some little individual packets of it, and its sooo sweet ive had to chuck my coffee out each time ive tried it.
    Hard to use less when its in a tiny sachet. Cant judge how much to use.
    I prefer splenda tbh
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    There is a HUGE difference in where you get the stevia from. I have bought the Truvia and Stevia In The Raw from the grocery store and both had a wierd aftertaste, and didn't seem as sweet as what everyone had been saying. THEN I bought a box I found in the vitamin suplement area of the drug store (twice the size and half the price). The box says it is 100% pure stevia (just an anti clumping agent added) and non chemicaly processed. HUGE difference!!! Just a tiny sprinkle from the packet is all you need versus the entire packet or two of the grocery store items. Very slight aftertaste, NOTHING like the Truvia and Stevia In The Raw. This box of 100 packets will last me a year or more!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I use it (although I am off all processed sugars this month), and think it's great. It doesn't have the nasty aftertaste that splenda does. However you have to be careful about using too much or you will get an alcohol aftertaste which is just as bad.

My favorites are the liquid, flavored stevias. Those are fun!
  • Deelited2cu
    Deelited2cu Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Since my husband, daughter, and I started our weight loss journey in January, 2011, we have used Stevia almost exclusively. At Whole Foods, you can get flavored liquid Stevia which is great! A dropper of Vanilla cream in a blender with a handful of frozen strawberries and a bit of water makes a yummy smoothie for our evening snack! My daughter likes to put a bit of the Lemon Drop Stevia in her iced tea.

I have a friend who is diabetic and it's the only sweetener she'll use as well. Does not affect her sugar levels at all.
  • adevereux
    adevereux Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I use it intermittatly with sugar and sweetner (depending on where I am) I have a box at home and work, as well as their french vanilla version, which is awesome for that fix. It's a different flavour but I like it. I found it at CO-OP and have seen it at Shoppers Drug mart.
  • ilsie99
    ilsie99 Posts: 259
    Options
    Truvia and PureVia are not 100% stevia. They also contain erythrytol, which is another sugar alcohol.
  • mrswibbs
    Options
    Truvia and PureVia are not 100% stevia. They also contain erythrytol, which is another sugar alcohol.
    I saw that when I looked into those…
    I want the 100% pure stuff… None of that processed cr*p :laugh:
  • Jamie_V
    Jamie_V Posts: 26
    Options
    I tried the 100% stevia and couldn't stand the taste--yuk! While I recognize that Truvia is not 100% stevia, it's still more natural than Splenda and it tastes very good in my coffee and tea. I am sorely tempted to go back to Splenda because it tastes just as good and it's much cheaper, but I am trying hard to go a more natural route when I can.
  • mrswibbs
    Options
    Am waiting for my liquid Stevia order to arrive
    Will update y'all on what I make of it
    :huh:
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I use truvia in my coffee and love it.I drink diet soda also so artifical does not bother me,I just hate the way it tastes in coffee.
    I love the truvia even though it is a bit pricey.
  • DoReMiFaSoLaTiDo
    Options
    I use Stevia everyday....

I have learned to use HALF the amount I would've used with regular sugar.... its still very sweet but you wont get the after taste
  • sexyprincess69
    Options
    I have used it b4 and it has an after taste. The sugar that I am currenlty using as of this week is Xylitol. There is no after taste. This is what Jillian from the biggest loser uses
  • andyxbear
    andyxbear Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I use Stevia and Truvia and they are both very good! My mother has them in little individual packets which are easy to take on the go!

I, too, use both Stevia and Truvia. I prefer Stevia in the liquid form. It usually comes in one of those dropper type bottles. I find that Truvia leaves a slight after taste, but not too bad. I sometimes make a huge batch of regular tea and sweeten it with Stevia and it tastes exactly (to me at least) like a sweet tea from McDonalds. : )
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I love it. I use a Truvia packet in my coffee and in plain greek yogurt. It is delicious and has no aftertaste.