Basic Hummus

Options
brendalyne
brendalyne Posts: 497
I used to make hummus for my vegetarian son, but stopped when he moved out (about 8 years ago)! I decided tonight that it was time to making my own once start again!

Basic Hummus:

1 (15 oz) can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), rinsed and drained
1/2 cup plain fat-free yogurt (I used greek yogurt)
2 T. lemon juice
3 garlic cloves crushed
2 tsp olive oil
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper

I also added 1 oz of roasted red peppers (from a jar) to this batch - but it's optional.

In a food processor or blender, puree all the ingredients until blended. You will need to push it down and pulse several times, but the end result will still be a little bit chunky..

Makes approximately 6 servings - 1/4 cup each for only 62 calories per serving.

I think I'll try adding some spinach in place of the roasted red peppers next time around. Does anyone have other suggestions for "add-ins" to home-made hummus?

Replies

• ari_27
    ari_27 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    ahhh I need to try this since I'm basically obsessed with hummus...best thing ever
  • hozik
    hozik Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Other possible add ins I like include: tahini, sundried tomatoes, chili peppers, feta, olives, parsley, roasted garlic(yes, more garlic!)
  • afries0907
    afries0907 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    fire roasted tomatoes--suggested by a friend. I have always wanted to try hummus but was always curious of what exactly it tasted like, guess i won't find out until i actually try it!
  • brendalyne
    Options
    I was thinking of adding spinach too. I tried a spinach & artichoke hummus from the store and it was very good, but I think homemade would be even better!

There are so many possibilities! Thank you for the suggestions.
  • GinaC211
    GinaC211 Posts: 15
    Options
    bump
  • hozik
    hozik Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Roasted eggplant is a nice low calorie addition, too
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Options
    have you ever try dryed beans so theres less salt? And about how lomg does this stay fresh? Thanks
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Caramelised onions are nice in hummus.
  • LadyOfOceanBreeze
    LadyOfOceanBreeze Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    you have inspired me! i am going to soak and cook up a whole batch of chickpeas myself instead of using the canned type:) add your own amount of spices instead of salt as they cook, cumin, red pepper, paprika & touch of turmeric :)
  • LadyOfOceanBreeze
    LadyOfOceanBreeze Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    in a good fridge it'll keep for a week or so. haven't tried a big batch yet, wonder if it'll freeze well, anybody?
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Mmmm, sounds good with sundried tomatoes!
  • Rockstar_rabbit
    Options
    Green olives added makes hummus awesome too!
  • kittyloo123
    kittyloo123 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    i have made hummus a million times, and to cut the calories i use the garbonzo bean juice instead of the olive oil.

This is my recipe for the basic.
    Canned garbonzos, rinsed
    juice of 1 lemon
    1-2 tbs. tahini (sesame seed paste)
    minced garlic to taste
    kosher salt.
    Process in the blender, adding the bean juice until it's the consistency that you like.
  • blackhawkgirl91
    blackhawkgirl91 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    sounds delish!
  • kittyloo123
    Options
    freezes fine. i have some in my freezer now.
  • brendalyne
    Options
    The original recipe called for salt. I omitted it. I also found out that the garlic is REALLY coming through very strongly the longer is sits - which my husband loves - but next time I'll make a batch for me with LESS garlic. And now I'm inspired to try some additional "add-ins". Thanks all!
  • brendalyne
    Options
    Also good to know I can freeze it. I was wondering about that too.
  • kittyloo123
    Options
    just as a added note, it will not be as smooth with soaked cooked garbonzoes. It works best with the canned.