Treadmill- Love it or hate it?

Options
memaw66
memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
I am getting a treadmill this weekend and I was just wondering how many people love it or hate it. I never liked it in the gym but I think at home, with the stereo on and no one to distract me, maybe I will like it more. I won't have anyone next to me running on another treadmill. That always made me feel so self conscience and inferior because I could barely walk on the thing, let alone run! So does anyone out there have any good tips that would make me love it more?

Replies

• memaw66
    Options
    I am getting a treadmill this weekend and I was just wondering how many people love it or hate it. I never liked it in the gym but I think at home, with the stereo on and no one to distract me, maybe I will like it more. I won't have anyone next to me running on another treadmill. That always made me feel so self conscience and inferior because I could barely walk on the thing, let alone run! So does anyone out there have any good tips that would make me love it more?
  • luvlee884
    luvlee884 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I can't stand it - I burn more calories on the eliptical....
  • loreeb18
    loreeb18 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I like it but mine was a cheap one that doesn't have a wide tread and I lose my balance sometimes. (But maybe that's just me having bad balance.)
  • Jackie_W
    Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I love the look of the ones at the gym - lovely and wide :happy:
    Going to use one for the first time in 5 years tomorrow :bigsmile:
  • meganlkp
    Options
    I have a cheap manual treadmill and I love it! I put the radio on and then walk really fast and look out the window - try and pretend I am trying to get somewhere fast. I walk for 2 minutes, jog slowly for 2 mins and then walk for 3 mins and jog for 1 minute etc to break it up - otherwise it would be really boring. Also, try and think about work or things you want to get done and prioritise them as you walk - that way you aren't watching the clock all the time.

Think of how great you bods gonna look in 1 months time if you stick to it!! 3 times a week for 20-30 minutes x Let that be a driver if anything :o)
  • irreligiouspiety07
    Options
    For some reason being on the treadmill messes up my performance, i keep looking at the "time left" or something, i like jogging outside MUCH more. But hey, if it works for you i'm sure it can be wonderful. :)
  • kdsmith
    kdsmith Posts: 250
    Options
    I bought a treadmill about 5 years and used it 5 times/week up until this past summer when I took up running outside...now that the snow is coming soon I will be back on it. It was the best purchase ever.
  • kdsmith
    kdsmith Posts: 250
    Options
    Oh, I didn't add on any tips for loving it...I only use my treadmill when my kids are asleep so that I can listen to my music without being distracted. My husband likes to watch dvd's while he is on the treadmill and we will buy some tv series once in a while to watch each day on it.

Also...never do the same walking routine every day. One day do a long slow walk, the next day do a bit faster for 30 minutes and then slow for 2 minutes until the end of your workout. Add in one day where you do some inclines/hills. Keeping it varied really helps.

Keep a journal of your workouts because in 2 months you will be amazed at how much more you do and it is fun to look back.
  • jen_huff
    Options
    I would much rather walk outside but it is getting cold and dark to early. I just got a treadmill 2 weeks ago. I watch TV when I am on mine. It makes the time go faster. But I totally agree with you, I hated them at the gym when someone was next to me. Plus now you can workout in your underwear in the comfort of your own home. (my husband loves it when I work out in my underwear!) :happy:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    If you don't like it at the gym you probably won't like it anymore at home but if that is the equipment you choose...USE IT! The only difference for me is that I push myself a lot more at home than I would in a gym full of people but I have to move it around every few months for a change in scenery!

I like outside as much as the next person but is hot here so I spend the summer months trapped inside, but now that the weather is cooling off I would rather hike or go for a walk but the nice thing is the treadmill is always there so I have no excuses!

:flowerforyou:
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Bores the snot outa me.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I used to run on the treadmill sooooooooo much, but I now run outside and enjoy it much more. The scenery changes, time seems to go by more quickly, and the treadmill hurts my tootsies a little bit. But it is definitely nice to have a place to run that's warm and comfortable!
  • memaw66
    Options
    I am soooooooooooooo out of shape that I really have to start on the treadmill. Hopefully some day I will be able to run outside! There won't be any running for a while, I have to work up to that but I am hoping to. I see the people outside jogging and I always say "I wish I was disciplined and in shape enough to do that" Maybe I will make that one of my goals, to be able to run outside and have a routine about it. Yeah !
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options

i think treadmills are great if you are trying to build yourself up to run or you like running- my treadmill was a waste # I HATE TO RUN- #2 When i was building myself up to run I preferred to do it on a track because I never felt right going at a fast pace on a treadmill-

Treadmill vs Elliptical

I prefer the elliptical even if it makes my feet tingle after so long its a great workout--

To each is own though good luck with yours
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I used to run on the treadmill a lot, but now reserve it for days when the weather is just too bad to get outside, because running outside is so much more fun. Most treadmills will give you better cushioning than runs on sidewalks, so it's easier on your legs. It's also nice if you are recovering from an injury, or just aren't that fit, because you can get off when you're done, instead of getting a leg cramp and being two miles from home. Couple of tips, use your stereo / ipod or park it in front of the TV so you can watch a movie or something. Helps fight boredom. Except for maybe your warm-up and cool-down, never run it at 0 incline - always put it up at 1 or 1.5. It's not steep enough that you'll really notice the difference, but you will get a much better work-out. Change up your routine every work out - that makes it more interesting too.
  • luvdance
    Options
    I listen to some music with good beats and like to groove or strut on the treadmill. :bigsmile:
  • HMBradley42
    Options
    I like it but it can get boring I usually watch a favorite show of mine and the time goes by much faster. I just purchased the zumba 4 dvd set on ebay so I can switch it up a bit I heard zumba is really fun..Just waiting for it to arrive...I'll update when I know what I think of it.

Elaina
  • StacLR
    StacLR Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I bought a quality treadmill about 10 years ago and I STILL use it. (I did however enjoy using it at the gym) It has a wide area to walk and is very close to the floor...so I don't feel like I am standing so tall that I am almost touching the celining. Also, I got one close to the floor so that if I fell off, I wouldn't have too far to fall. :)

The BEST part of having a treadmill for me is NO EXCUSES. Sure, being outside walking/jogging is great...but when you have put your exercise off all day and it is too late to go outside or the weather is bad, you always have a way to burn some cals.

I like for my treadmill to be positioned so that I have several inputs:

1) I like to see out the window in case I get bored
    2) I like to see the TV (a for sure way to forget about the time)
    3) I like to have the radio/ipod close in case I just want to watch TV, see outdoors and listen to the radio.

The most important thing is to enjoy your exercise. If you don't enjoy the treadmill, search for something you really LIKE doing. You wouldn't want the big purchase of a peice of exercise equipment to wind up a clothes rack.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I prefer the elliptical... i burn more calories but i feel less tired during and after my workout. I don't seem to get as bored as I do on a treadmill, either. I also have bad knees and hips and the impact of running affects me more. I'd invest in the elliptical over a treadmill.
  • greeneyes490
    greeneyes490 Posts: 77 Member
    Options

Love it......it is a peice of equiptment that I keep going back to time after time.....I go through phases where i get bored so i do some dvd's etc...but always go back to it....i have it in frount of the tv so it takes my mind off of the time and/or i have my ipod on.....plus i can vary my workout by just walking, just jogging or running...or doing intervals....plus you can work your butt more by increasing the incline etc.....so versatile.....i also use it to do a warm up before doing a dvd by doing a slow walk just to heat up my muscles etc.....this is on thing that i would probably spend more on though.....i use to have a cheap one and it felt cheap......the tread wasn't very wide or long......and it wobbled alot...my new one i spent a few hundred more on it but got a much more comfortable surface and controls etc.....so try them out in the store before committing to one......good luck :)....