Treadmill- Love it or hate it?

Options

Replies

• songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I am soooooooooooooo out of shape that I really have to start on the treadmill. Hopefully some day I will be able to run outside! There won't be any running for a while, I have to work up to that but I am hoping to. I see the people outside jogging and I always say "I wish I was disciplined and in shape enough to do that" Maybe I will make that one of my goals, to be able to run outside and have a routine about it. Yeah !

Oh, for walking it's great! I can't think of a better way to increase your aerobic endurance/CV health. You can numerically track your improvements--3.0 mph to 3.5 mph, 1-2% incline, etc. Plus you won't have the mental battle of 'It's SO cold outside!" When I walk on the TM it doesn't hurt my feet, just running. I think the console in front of me messes with my gait. Running is really enjoyable and rewarding, but it definitely takes time to build up to it to prevent injury. That sounds like a fabulous goal! :flowerforyou:
  • katiechakos
    katiechakos Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    LOVE the treadmill. I run outside, too, but the thing that is so fantastic is you can control the speed and incline. I trained for my last 2 marathons on the treadmill and it was awesome. It's so freaking hot and humid in FL, so I appreciate the treadmill. I put rockin' songs on my i-pod, and that helps, too.
  • Theresa35
    Theresa35 Posts: 1,102
    Options
    :yawn: BORING:yawn: Even with my ipod. Love the elliptical! :drinker:

I hope you find enjoyment in it. Have fun!
  • pinkyjane48
    Options
    I dont like running in general. I think it might have something to do with my nose/airway (my left nostral always feels plugged) so after like 20 minutes, my whole body just screams at me. I can do intervals of sprint speed which isnt too bad but Id rather to line drills outside (I like how they go by faster. 15 min and Im spent! lol)

My sister LOVES the treadmill at her apt complex tho b/c its right in front of a nice plasma screen and she can watch House :) lol
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    For some reason being on the treadmill messes up my performance, i keep looking at the "time left" or something, i like jogging outside MUCH more. But hey, if it works for you i'm sure it can be wonderful. :)
    ah HAH....so that must be why some folks at the gym lay a towel across the screen deal... ok, it's beginning to make sense now.....:drinker:
  • GaoLee
    GaoLee Posts: 65
    Options
    It's not really that bad. I love mine. I bought mine at ****'s sporting good and it has 7 workout. All I do is choose a workout and choose the length of time and I walk/jog/run. Mine also have incline so I do that too. I don't have time to work out until very late at night so... it works well for me. Also... when I'm feeling hungry, mad or upset, I get on my treadmill. I love it.
  • cupcake568
    cupcake568 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    For some reason being on the treadmill messes up my performance, i keep looking at the "time left" or something, i like jogging outside MUCH more. But hey, if it works for you i'm sure it can be wonderful. :)
    ah HAH....so that must be why some folks at the gym lay a towel across the screen deal... ok, it's beginning to make sense now.....:drinker:
    I was just going to post DON'T LOOK AT THE TIME LEFT! Just let the treadmill do what it is going to do...Imagine you are outside...you don't get to change the grade of the road and if you run/walk too far away from home you can't just stop...you still have to get home!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    I love the treadmill at the gym. So tekkie. With all the different programs, can't get bored. Alll those people running faster than you started off walking and worked up to the 30-minute run, so it's something to work toward. I like that I can set really tough hills, not have to run, still burn lots of calories, and if I want to close my eyes with a good song, I can grab one of the handrails.

The elliptical is more fun, though and burns more calories faster, but you have to mix it up on exercise or your body gets comfie, and doesn't work as hard . :tongue:
  • LovelyLady1977
    Options
    Walking is my favorite form of exercise, so I :heart: the treadmill. I like how when you first get on you don't think you'll make it past the first 5 minutes, but once those first 5 minutes are done you feel you can go forever. Whenever I'm nearing the end of my time, I am always tempted to up it by 5 more minutes.
  • EvilPIB
    EvilPIB Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I love mine. I get off of work @ 7am and around 8am I'm getting ready to walk on it (bad knees - running is not an option right). I own a treadclimber and it's like walking in sand so I get a decent workout. I usually put on an hour show or something longer than hour, cover my panel so I won't clock watch and 60 min later I have bured 657 calories. It took a while to get use to it but now I can't wait to use it.
  • DjBliss05
    DjBliss05 Posts: 682
    Options
    I'm an elliptical girl! :smile:

Walking doesn't feel like enough of an exercise for me and running doesn't work for me yet.

Hoping to graduate to running at some point, but for now it wouldn't serve much of a purpose.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    I have had mine for four years and love it! I did run outside this summer but since I get up at 6am it is to dark now. So back to the treadmill. I am so glad I can get up exercise and not have to think about having gym clothes, do I have to shovel snow first to get out or going anywhere.
    Kelly
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    Hate it. I can walk outside forever, but the second I get on a treadmill my calves cramp up. I must walk differently on it.
  • seegirlrun
    Options
    OMG> The treadmill is torture. Like nails on a chalkboard. It is SO BORING! Last time I tried it I lasted 7 minutes and 34 seconds. Then went outside.
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I love the treadmill. I don't worry about music disturbing anyone in the house, cuz I use my MP3 player with my marshmallow earplugs and just tune the entire world out, including the humming of the treadmill.

How to make it more effective? If your balance is good, and/or the tready is wide enough, carefully sport some 1-3 lb handweights to pump up your heart rate. This is good, because if you're starting out, you don't do much with them but hold them, but the increase in resistance is phenomenal and thus your calorie burn. As you increase your stamina, (I'm assuming your shoulder joints are in good shape - mine are now and they didn't used to be) and you use controlled motion, you can get quite creative with them. I went from a jogging motion to an all-out arm raise/forward/upward motion, which adds about 15-20 bpm to my HR. What a workout~~!!!
  • clewliss
    clewliss Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I've had both and I prefer the elliptical! My treadmill is in our storage bldg, but I thought about bringing it in during the winter- not sure though. I like my videos and elliptical. Good luck to you:flowerforyou:
  • Angiebangie
    Angiebangie Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    HATE IT, HATE IT, HATE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • mariethai
    mariethai Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I always push myself harder on the treadmill, I think its because I can see how fast I'm running. Also, its great for a varied workout push the incline up for a couple of minutes, and then down, then the speed up for a minute, and then down - it can be kind of fun and challenging at the same time. If your just walking you can change it up sometimes by walking with light weights in each hand (e.g. 0.5kg).
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I love it. At the gym I use the Incline Trainer and program it for interval training so it's a great work-out and burns more calories than the ellipitical. At home, I use it in front of my favorite shows. It's a great way to get in some exercise and watch CSI.
  • 515TeachNRun
    515TeachNRun Posts: 6,402 Member
    Options
    I enjoy both; I'm a fair weather outdoor runner-don't like to be too hot or too cold :tongue: n But I love having the scenery and different challenges.

With it dark in the early mornings, I tend to run on the TM. I catch up on tv watching since I don't usually do it otherwise. I catch up on any shows I like on-line.