Question about eliptical machine please help!

Options
So I started at the gym tonight. I did 30 min of the elliptical at about 114 strokes per minute. My distance ended at 1 1/2 miles. But the machine said I only burnt 90 calories ... When I came on here to record it it said I burnt 518 calories... Which is right ???

Replies

• MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    It really depends in this case I would go with the lower of the two. It depends on the level and speed you go which effects your heart rate. The site is very general and doesn't have any clue what kind of effort you put into it. The best way to go is with a HRM but if you don't have one go with the lower of the two between the machine and the site is usually the better way to go as the site is usually over on exercise calories.
  • Mayor_West
    Mayor_West Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    1.5 miles per hour in 30 minutes means you were moving at 3 miles per hour. I don't know how moving at that speed could possibly result in a 500+ calorie burn.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    90 seems too low (did you input your weight to the machine at the start?). 518 is way too high. For 30 mins @ a 20 min/mile pace I'd expect something in the 150 - 200 kcal range depending on your weight.
  • Momto2cuties4life
    Options
    Thanks everyone