Asparagus

Options
RDH0513
RDH0513 Posts: 245 Member
Okay I know how to make maybe 10 things, 10 very basic things, and anyone have any good ways to cook asparagus? anything would be appreciated, thank you!!

Replies

• angelarozmyn
    Options
    frying pan....tiny bit of oil...pepper and garlic! super easy and soooo tasty! cook until you can poke the stem easily with a fork
  • liz_bolin
    liz_bolin Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I roast mine in the oven
  • Suzy12
    Suzy12 Posts: 284
    Options
    Your timing on asking this is exceptional! I just made some tonight (kind of). I always just steam mine. First don't cut, just snap off the root end at the point where you can. Then you'll know that they will be very tender. Put them in a steamer basket and steam for maybe 10 minutes.

Now here is the "kind of" part. I put mine in the pan tonight, turned the burner on high and couldn't figure out why no steam was coming out after several minutes. Duh!! I forgot to put water in the pan!! One Farberware frying pan bites the dust!!!! LOL!!!

Top with a bit of butter if you like, or even a drizzle of lemon juice. We have it at least 2x a week. Love it!!
  • wsbri4
    wsbri4 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Put it in a steamer bag and steam it then add little bit of butter and pepper. Very very good
  • NoPyForYou
    NoPyForYou Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Sauteeing is good. Steaming (not to mush!!) is good. My husbands fave is roasted though. 450 degrees, a drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast for 15 - 20 minutes (or until it looks pretty). Server with a little squirt of lemon juice.
  • Chitownblue
    Options
    I put them on a pan and place them on the grill

I squeeze some lemon and add spices. usually, cumin and chili powder.

It's done when tender basically, like ten minutes or so.
  • frenchprairiegirl
    frenchprairiegirl Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Drizzle with olive oil and herb salt and put into a perforated pan and cook on bbq for 10 min at med-low heat
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I cut mine into about 1 1/2" sections and steam it just a tiny bit. After it's steamed, I'll put some olive oil in a pan with some garlic and some kosher salt and then sautee my steamed asparagus and then serve it. You can also put some fresh grated parmesan on top if you want.

Another option is to broil it with parmesan, garlic and some kosher salt.
  • litljoy2001
    Options
    I put mine on a cookie sheet and add a very tiny amount of oil drizzeld over it and then spinkle with seasoned pepper, not salt, seasoned pepper and bake in oven for about 10 to 15 min depending on how much you are cooking
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Roasted or grilled are my favorite.

For roasted, I do NOT use oil (100 calories for 1tbl of olive oil). I'd rather "eat/chew" my 100 calories. I do a light spray of Pam then salt and pepper. Roast for 10-15 minutes at 425-450. We don't like our asparagus mushy so I cook it less. Leftovers are great too for making egg white omelets in the morning. YUM

Same principle with grilling but just on the grill on high.
  • pmorrison101
    Options
    Spread out on baking sheet and drizzle very little EVO over it, drizzle very little balsamic vinegar over it, sprinkle with garlic powder, and spray with butter spray. Bake in oven at 425 for about 12 to 15 min. Toss and then eat.
  • thomaslh83
    thomaslh83 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Roasting and grilling are good options. If you grill asparagus, try to find a slotted metal tray that you can put on the grill and drizzle with olive oil, basic seasoning (salt, pepper), and a few crushed garlic cloves. You can use the same ingredients for roasting, just make sure that the pan you use for roasting does not have high sides because that will create steaming.
  • trixylewis
    trixylewis Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    grilled is my favorite, but if i cant i just roast them in the oven! so yummy!
  • Dreamcyn
    Dreamcyn Posts: 12
    Options
    I used to pan fry mine until they were soft and just a little crisp on the top, then eat with hollandaise, but :blushing: since this is a weight loss site, I'd recommend just some seasoned garlic & butter (unless you can find a low-cal hollandaise, which doesn't seem likely)
  • ekicinsk
    ekicinsk Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Spread out on baking sheet and drizzle very little EVO over it, drizzle very little balsamic vinegar over it, sprinkle with garlic powder, and spray with butter spray. Bake in oven at 425 for about 12 to 15 min. Toss and then eat.

I add lemon pepper too
  • rockabillydarlin
    rockabillydarlin Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I watch this cooking show called *****in' Kitchen and she made an asparagus dish last night, which made me sooo happy because I LOVE asparagus lol. Here's the recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.ca/ontv/shows/*****in-Kitchen/recipe.html?dishID=10947&titleid=248313
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite way to cook it lately:

Roasted Asparagus With Lemon, Rosemary, and Parmesan

Makes 4 Servings

2 lbs Asparagus
    1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1/8 tsp. pepper
    1/2 Tbsp. dried rosemary or 1 Tbsp fresh rosemary
    Zest of one lemon
    Juice of half a lemon
    1 oz freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Remove woody ends of asparagus. Lay asparagus in a single layer on a baking sheet. Top with olive oil, salt, pepper, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Toss asparagus around to evenly coat. Roast in oven about 15 minutes for thick asparagus or 10 for thin. I like mine to still have some crunch to it so I watch it closely. Remove from oven and top with Parmesan.

Calories: 93 Carbs: 7g Fat: 6g Protein: 6g Cholesterol: 5mg Sugars: 2g Fiber: 3g
  • christinekojack
    christinekojack Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I love it in soup!! here are a couple of recipies i've tried that are delicious !! Leek and asparagus soup Ingredients

1 tbsp olive oil

½ leek, cleaned and finely chopped

4 asparagus spears, chopped

150ml/5fl oz vegetable stock

100ml/3½fl oz double cream

salt and freshly ground black pepper

crusty bread, to serve

Preparation method
    1.Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over a medium heat. Add the leek and asparagus and sauté for 2-3 minutes, to soften.

2.Add the vegetable stock, bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to simmer gently for 8-10 minutes, until the asparagus is cooked through.

3.Transfer to a food processor, add the cream and blend until smooth.

4.Return the soup to the pan, season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper and warm through gently.

5.To serve, pour into a soup bowl with the crusty bread placed on a plate alongside.
    *********************************************************************************

Asparagus and red pepper soup

50g/1¾oz asparagus, finely chopped

50g/1¾oz Romero pepper, finely chopped

1 tsp tomato purée

½ tsp dried chilli flakes

100ml/3½fl oz chicken stock (vegetarians may replace with vegetable stock)

Preparation method
    1.Place a small saucepan over a high heat. Add the asparagus, Romero pepper, tomato purée, chilli flakes and stock. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for ten minutes.

2.Pour into a bowl and serve.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Microwave the spears in a teeny amount of water till just tender. Dip in soft boiled egg. (Great lo-carb replacement for toast soldiers)

Add to a chicken or prawn risotto, chopped into short pieces.
  • jtfive
    jtfive Posts: 7
    Options
    Asparagus is my favorite veggie. I cook it on the grill, in the fry pan or sometimes just steam it lightly. Like most I don't like it mushy. Then just add lemon juice ( for me that is the key) and a little salt. Wala, delicious and good for you.