Heart Rate Monitor

Options
Im looking at getting a heart rate monitor...any suggestions? I really like MFP so was hoping to find something that didnt require a subscription to another service

Replies

• jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Options
    polar seem to be HRM of choose they just track exercise calories are not worn all day
  • NurseChristy3
    NurseChristy3 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Is that the watch style? Was thinking maybe the arm band one would work well for me...but since Im new to using one period then Im up for trying one at all thats in my budget
  • mkcalvert
    mkcalvert Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I found the New Balance N4 on ebay $ 39.99..tonight is first time I used, but I figured out I'm burning more cals than MFP says I am :)...I didn't want to invest a ton of money in one bc I wasn't sure if it would be something I could stick with. Now I know I wouldn't exercise without it just by my first day :)
  • mkcalvert
    Options
    Definitely get one that works with a chest strap
  • NurseChristy3
    Options
    Do you wear the chest strap all day? I just now realized that the arm bands are intended for ALL time wear!
  • NurseChristy3
    Options
    Is this the right one? This is the only NewBalance N4 I can find but it says watch that includes chest strap

http://cgi.ebay.com/NBnew-balance-N4-Heart-Rate-Monitor-WOMEN-WHITE-/320679888692?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aaa02c734
  • Nigel99
    Nigel99 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    One of the various Polars seems to be the most popular choice around here (but not the only choice). I picked up the Polar FT4, and have been really happy with it. It comes with the chest strap, which you'll want for better accuracy.
  • staubinst
    Options
    I have a timex one that I got off of amazon for about $50. It isn't the prettiest watch, kind of ugly. It had good reviews so that it the main reason that I got it. The setup was a little confusing. I have not had a problem with it. I only wear it when I exercise. Definently get a chest strap.
  • BrandNewMia
    BrandNewMia Posts: 461
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7 and I love it! I can swim with it, even. It has a chest strap, you only wear it during the workout. It was itchy the first day but I haven't noticed it since then.
  • NurseChristy3
    Options
    This will be my first experience with a heart rate monitor so Im not looking to invest a HUGE chunk until I see that its something I will definitely use! So it doest have to be the most popular or the newest on the market by any means
  • mkcalvert
    Options
    I only wear chest strap during workout, but I wear the arm band all day bc out serves as a watch also
  • HeatherShrinking
    HeatherShrinking Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I went with the Polar F7 and love it. It has a chest strap and a watch part. Records time, calories and heart rate. So happy I got it!
  • mkcalvert
    Options
    Is this the right one? This is the only NewBalance N4 I can find but it says watch that includes chest strap

http://cgi.ebay.com/NBnew-balance-N4-Heart-Rate-Monitor-WOMEN-WHITE-/320679888692?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aaa02c734

That is the one I got, and even found out on Buy Out Now with free shipping
  • NurseChristy3
    Options
    Will you post a link to the site...I cant find it
  • krsaxton
    krsaxton Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have a polar and body bug. The Body bug was nice in the beginning (you wear it all day). This helped me to get a true picture of what I was actually buring in a day. The body bug has the arm strap. It ended up rubbing part of my arm raw. :frown: Plus their site was confusing. I didn't use it to track like they suggest.
    I do prefer my polar - with a chest strap for exercise. It really is motivating while working out. Just seeing how much you are actually burning and then playing games with yourself to try to burn more. :happy:
  • NurseChristy3
    Options
    Which Polar do you have?
  • Tacosmamma
    Tacosmamma Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I use the GARMIN FR60 which is a watch with a chest strap. I only wear it will working out. I got it for I beleive $120 at Walmart.com.

Kelly:happy:
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I have the polar FT4 and I love it.

Buy it now on Ebay with Free Shipping. Read the whole auction because I didn't. I just look for some really decent prices with free shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Polar-FT4-Heart-Rate-Monitor-Watch-WearLink-Coded-/180650764153?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a0f9fe779#ht_500wt_1156

http://cgi.ebay.com/POLAR-FT4-BRONZE-HEART-RATE-MONITOR-/220758962968?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3366427318#ht_1042wt_905
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 off of Amazon. It's what I wear for my workouts and the chest can barely be noticed that it's on, if at all. I love it for the instant knowledge of my heart rate while I work out and the caloric burn as soon as I finish.

Then I have a BodyMedia Fit that I got from Costco for $150 shipped, with a one subscription included, as well as an extra armband. That one I wear every moment of the day that I'm not in the shower. It was worth every single penny I spent on it and then some, I wish I bought it sooner. It shows me exactly what I burn every single day (with a 10% +/- variable), not just for my workouts but while I'm at work, sitting around the house, cooking, cleaning, running errands, sleeping, everything. It's been amazing for helping me keep my deficit closer to the 500 that I want it to be right now (I get to eat more every day! I was at almost 1000 calorie deficits and not realizing it. And I'm finally losing weight again!)

I personally don't really use the BMF site for tracking calories. I still use MFP to log all of my food, just as I've done for the last year. Then I just enter all my nutritional info as one large meal into the BMF site so I can still see my proper deficits as well as the charts of my fat/protein/carb breakdowns each day. I LOVE the reports and exporting abilities that BMF has for everything. And the sleep tracker has been really eye-opening because it shows you when you're laying down vs. when you're actually asleep as well as your overall sleep efficiency for each night.

It really comes down to what you're looking for. An HRM with a chest strap will be what you want if you just want to know what you burn during workouts. But a BMF (Or the more expensive Body Bugg) will be what you want if you want a full day's picture of what you're burning vs. what you're eating.
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Are people taking their HRM calorie readings as accurate? My experience of them is that they're wayyy too high. I always take off a good 30-40% off what mine says.