Brown rice is yucky

Options
how can you make brown rice taste good?

Replies

• aeckels616
    aeckels616 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    My only suggestion is lots of soy sauce. I'm not a fan of it either.
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    You could try making it with (low sodium) chicken or veg broth instead of water. Maybe add in a few spices or herbs?
  • PeaceLoveStrength
    PeaceLoveStrength Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Have you tried cooking it in low sodium chicken broth instead of water?
  • sbear867
    sbear867 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    long grain is much tastier than short and that microwave 90sec crap is horrible. A little real butter or the right fish or chicken oven the rice helps too. I also like to use brown rice in veggie stir fries. With a dash of sesame oil its actaully pretty tastey.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Keep eating it until you get used to it!
    I find that overcooking it helps a bit too, then it's not quite so "chewy".
    And make sure you have something with a yummy sauce to have with it, so you aren't focussing on the rice itself, but the flavour from your other food.
  • 123nikki123
    123nikki123 Posts: 527
    Options
    I :heart: brown rice! I cook mine with low sodium chicken oxo and onions. YUMMY!
  • lalalalyndsey
    Options
    Like said above... use chicken broth instead of water. You can also add some veggies like peas and carrots, and some spices into it for some more flavor!

Personally, I like quinoa or whole grain rice mixes (my boyfriend's mom got a 8 blend from the asian market that's really yummy).
  • dihardcheer86
    Options
    Have you tried cooking it in low sodium chicken broth instead of water?

I haven't tried this but it sounds yummy! But I have a rice steamer, I have to add more water than it calls for (for white rice) or else it comes out hard :( Then I like to add salsa to it :) I made that in a bowl one night for chicken taco dinner and my husband even ate it and thought it was good!! (He hates brown rice lol)
  • skinnyhopes
    skinnyhopes Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Make mexican rice.
    Use sala
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Pacific foods organic free range chicken broth has the lowest sodium of any chicken broth (store bought) that I have found (70 mg per serving)... your heart and blood pressure will appreciate it if you don't load down your rice with tons of soy sauce. lol No one says you HAVE to eat brown rice... why not try quinoa? Or you can easily incorporate whole grains from another source.
  • wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    And make sure you have something with a yummy sauce to have with it, so you aren't focussing on the rice itself, but the flavour from your other food.

Agreed! We made brown rice along with this http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/amazing-pork-tenderloin-in-the-slow-cooker/Detail.aspx and the sauce was amazing over the rice!
  • tethomas73
    tethomas73 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    When I'm baking chicken I add low sodium chicken broth, onion, celery, and brown rice and let it all cook together. The chicken and broth give it flavor..

To night I steam brown rice and in another pot I ground lean ground turkey add squash, spinach and low sugar ragu sauce together.. Place the ground turkey and vegetable mix over the rice and it was really good. My family even enjoyed it..
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    When I ate it, I used to like it mixed with salsa.
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Anytime I'm making white or brown rice, in the water I put in 1tbls of yogurt butter (45cal) and seasonings such as garlic, pepper, red pepper, parsley, and onion... the rice tastes great afterwards and I don't have to add soy sauce which adds salt and I already have a problem going over on salt almost everyday. I serve rice with all dif kinds of meats, salmon, pork, beef, etc and u can take a bite of rice & meat at same time...also if its cooked properly it tastes different than if it were to have not cooked it long enough.
  • Kaileyxoxo
    Kaileyxoxo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    kernel seasonings popcorn seasoning is soooo good, i actually just started using it on brown rice too. I use the ranch flavor but there are many other flavors. Also garlic is always my go to spice for anything plain.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I also just season the water when I cook it. Though, I don't add butter. I just add stuff that matches what I'm cooking for dinner, onion powder, garlic powder, siracha, tapatio, chili powder, cayenne, etc. That way it cooks right into the rice itself as it absorbs the water.
  • Kaileyxoxo
    Kaileyxoxo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I also just season the water when I cook it. Though, I don't add butter. I just add stuff that matches what I'm cooking for dinner, onion powder, garlic powder, siracha, tapatio, chili powder, cayenne, etc. That way it cooks right into the rice itself as it absorbs the water.

thank youu, good tip!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options

This is a great idea, I'll give this a try. I love learning new stuff (I had to google siracha and tapatio - sounds like you eat lots of hot stuff!)
  • afteil
    afteil Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I think rice is all about personal tastes- there are a ton of different types of rice that have different flavors and consistencies. If you dont like the type of brown rice you had, try something else like bulgur or wild rice. Personally I love rice and instead of using as much water, I use pacific organic low sodium veggie stock and a can of diced tomatoes.