1200 calories per day trouble. =[

Options
Hey everyone. okay so heres my dilemma:

im finding it EXTREMELY difficult to eat only 1200 calories per day. i wouldnt feel so bad about going over my calories if i actually had time to exercise them off... but i dont. my life has gotten super busy lately and it killed me when i had to give up zumba. =[

its like my body is rebelling and wants more food! i dont want to be damaging my body without knowing it. help me please! i have no clue what to do.

Replies

• abyssfully
    abyssfully Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Is your goal set to 2 lbs per week? You could change it to 1 lb per week and that will allow you more calories.
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    What kind of things are you eating now?
  • lalalalyndsey
    Options
    Is your goal set to 2 lbs per week? You could change it to 1 lb per week and that will allow you more calories.

Ditto... I had trouble with staying within 1200 until I changed my goal to 1 lb per week. Also, if you are feeling super hungry try drinking some water... it really helps me! Sometimes people confuse thirst with hunger... hope this helps!
  • aeckels616
    aeckels616 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I generally (today was a major exception) have low-cal supplements for breakfast and save my calories for later in the day, when I'm hungrier. I try to stick to foods that have a low glycemic index so they will keep me fuller longer. Also, avoid bread - that stuff is loaded with calories and will just make you want more and more!
  • Crystal817
    Options
    Also, avoid bread - that stuff is loaded with calories and will just make you want more and more!

Some whole grain breads are less in calories and pretty healthy! ;)
  • abyssfully
    Options
    Also, avoid bread - that stuff is loaded with calories and will just make you want more and more!

I would DIE if I avoided my 60% whole wheat bread. DIE.
  • bonnienm
    bonnienm Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Lots of vegetables, fresh or frozen. Low cal and pretty filling. My husband has been having a protein shake or two a day and he says it is delicious and very filling. 1 c coconut milk, 1 c whey protein powder and 1 c frozen fruit blended, supposed to be about 270 cal. He made me a blueberry one last week and it was good.
  • aeckels616
    aeckels616 Posts: 210 Member
    Options

It's true that some breads are better than others (though I don't know if I've ever really seen a bread that I'd consider low-cal). But even the healthier breads have that same addictive quality that seems to be prevalent in grain foods. Some people are more prone to bread addiction (my term, probably not its official medical name) than others. Unfortunately, i am one of them :(
  • Katherine_Nelson
    Katherine_Nelson Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    i try to stay around 115 grams of carbs per day and i really watch my sugar intake. (im paranoid about those two things for some reason!) and i usually eat whatever is at the house. mostly eggs. and we eat a lot of deer, which is almost as lean as chicken!

but it seems like i have a harder time with controlling myself while im at work. i work a lot of closing shifts until about 10pm at least four nights a week and we sell MASS QUANTITIES of candy... and guess who has to restock it? =[

and my settings are set to 2 pounds per week. i guess i need to take it down a notch!
  • dia77
    dia77 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem at the begining. I start exercising but even so , I was over my target every day . I asked my finesspal for suport four days ago , and since Sunday I am in target . This is what works for me .
  • Crystal817
    Options
    As hard as it may be... I would cut out the candy from your diet. It's just empty calories.

Maybe switch out the eggs for egg beaters? (even if it's just a couple times a week)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest having another look at your weight loss goals - as previous posters have suggested you might like to set it to lose 1lb per week rather than 2. This will give you more calories to eat but still factor in a calorie deficit to have you steadily losing weight.
    In my opinion it is important find something that you can sustain in the longer term and going very low calorie is hard to keep up, specially when you are busy.
    I started out eating 1660 cals a day and have gradually reduced it (I'm at 1550 now) - each time I lose a kg - and am losing weight steadily. I am heavier than you though, so I get to eat more!
  • abyssfully
    Options
    i try to stay around 115 grams of carbs per day and i really watch my sugar intake. (im paranoid about those two things for some reason!) and i usually eat whatever is at the house. mostly eggs. and we eat a lot of deer, which is almost as lean as chicken!

but it seems like i have a harder time with controlling myself while im at work. i work a lot of closing shifts until about 10pm at least four nights a week and we sell MASS QUANTITIES of candy... and guess who has to restock it? =[

and my settings are set to 2 pounds per week. i guess i need to take it down a notch!
    Even if you take it down to 1 lb per week you could still loose more than that. It's just an estimate :)
  • Katherine_Nelson
    Katherine_Nelson Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    i just changed my settings to 1 pound per week! thank you!
  • jaia07
    jaia07 Posts: 22
    Options

It's true that some breads are better than others (though I don't know if I've ever really seen a bread that I'd consider low-cal). But even the healthier breads have that same addictive quality that seems to be prevalent in grain foods. Some people are more prone to bread addiction (my term, probably not its official medical name) than others. Unfortunately, i am one of them :(

Weight Watchers makes bread that's wholegrain and 100 calories per two slices :)
  • cocobeenie
    Options
    It could be the kinds of food that you are eating. Some foods help you stay full, while others make you feel hungry faster, making it torturous to stay under 1200 calories.

Generally, you should try to get in as much lean protein as you can. This includes chicken breast, turkey, tofu, egg whites, protein powders, fish, beans, lentils, low-fat dairy, and even beef jerky. Include at least one of these in every meal and you will definitely feel fuller for longer and won't feel the cravings for more food as badly.

An example of a very filling meal I have fairly often is a can of tuna sauteed with two minced cloves of garlic, a splash of soy sauce, and kim chi (korean spicy fermented cabbage - if you don't have this, you can just mix in any hot sauce or spices you like). Then I cook in two egg whites. Its really flavorful and filling and only has about 300 calories (less, if you can get your hands on tuna in water).

You can also try a can of tuna mixed with mustard or your favorite low-cal salad dressing and a third of a package of tofu and some chopped celery, parsley, peas, shredded apple, or whatever you like in your tuna salad. This becomes a super high protein, low calorie tuna salad. You can have it alone or with some high fiber crackers or toast. mmmmmmm.....

Another tip is go for high fiber. Like protein, foods with fiber take a longer time to digest so you will feel fuller for longer. HIgh fiber foods include: fruits (non dried fruits will give you a fuller sensation) like strawberries, apples, raspberries, and pears, whole grains such as oatmeal and 100% whole wheat bread (points for added fiber!), vegetables like kale, broccoli, artichokes, and peas, and legumes, which are especially high in fiber and include black beans, lima beans, and lentils.

Drink a lot of water during and in between meals. It helps you feel fuller during the meal you are eating and also staves off the fake hunger that is only thirst. If you like more variation in your drinks, try any herb tea or sparkling water with a slice of lemon or lime.

Eat several small meals throughout the day. You will feel like you are constantly eating even though you are only a couple hundred calories each time you eat.

Whole foods tend to be low cal for their nutrient content so try to snack on as many whole (preferably raw) fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds, and whatever. They make great take-away meals you can pack at home and eat throughout your day.

Stay away from sweets. The sugar in the sweets will be processed too fast, spike your blood sugar, and when you come down you will be hungry for more and will probably want to reach for whatever is in reach.

Stay away from oils and fats. Eat lean meat, and eating fried foods is pretty much unjustifiable. The reason being, they are soooo calorie dense that it doesn't leave room for much else later on in your day, leaving you hungry and cursing you 1200 calorie limit. Save the calories for the good stuff. Healthy fats that come from things like avocados, olive oil, nuts, seeds, and fish are an exception, but remember to eat them very sparingly.

As for the candy complication, I feel you. I have a huge sweet tooth. Try to go for small, individually wrapped sweets and just have ONE. Small amounts of marshmallows and french macaroons are ideal because they have so much air. My suggestion for closing at work- set aside ONE piece of candy and when you are all done closing up, reward yourself for resisting all the other candies by eating it very slowly. Savor every morsel of every little bite.

I'm also on a 1200 calorie a day diet and have a super busy schedule so I know what its like. Let me know if these tips help, and good luck!!!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Great post Coco, lots of good ideas there :)
  • joanneeee
    joanneeee Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I generally (today was a major exception) have low-cal supplements for breakfast and save my calories for later in the day, when I'm hungrier. I try to stick to foods that have a low glycemic index so they will keep me fuller longer. Also, avoid bread - that stuff is loaded with calories and will just make you want more and more!

There are a lot of breads that are low GI. Nutty, grainy breads are very low GI.
    http://www.burgen.com.au/nutrition/glycemic_index.aspx
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Are you eating to enough?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

This is just a part of it! please read the link above

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

Also this might be helpful http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/00trayn/view/how-to-bust-a-3-month-plateau-87677

Good luck on your journey
  • TiaBean
    TiaBean Posts: 1
    Options
    I wouldn't deprive yourself entirely, though. I like to keep some milky way minis in the house, so when I'm having a chocolate craving, I have one of those. I eat it slowly & really enjoy it. This usually satisfies my craving & I'm not going crazy on candy. Good luck!